What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?
Author: Message:
WaqasTariq

41 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?
Hello All,

I just wanted to know what happens when i put my laptop to sleep?

becouse i have noticed that when i put my laptop to sleep it starts very fast, si is it good to put my laptop to sleep all the time...

i.e. taking it to office in a bag in sleep mode and the putting the laptop in the same bag and leave it for max 2 days on weekends...

does it effect battrey life???

does it over heats when its in the bag???

or are there any complication in it?
08-24-2007 12:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?
Depends on what you mean exactly...

If you mean hibernate (which i think you do):
What hibernate does is, it writes the data in your RAM memory to the harddisk and then completely shuts down the laptop. Next time you boot it will read the memory data from the harddisk and load it into RAM. This way your system is restored exactly like it was before you hibernated. It will start faster because everything is already in a loaded state.
You can use without any real problems.
- Doesn't affect battery life
- Doesn't overheat
- Only complication could be because the OS doesn't really shutdown... If you notice your apps slow down, just reboot the machine.

If you mean some form of standby:
Standby is to save power when you are not using the laptop for a while, but not designed to be used for really long times.
- It will affect your battery life (although very little power is used in standby)
- It probably won't overheat when you carry it around in a bag, but do not leave it in there for a long time, the laptop still consumes a little bit of power, which will cause things to heat up a bit.
- The complication of leaving your laptop in standby for a long time is that your battery will eventually run out of power and the system shuts down, loosing whatever data you didn't safe.

If you're not sure whether you use hibernate or standby: When you hibernate you will still see your laptop boot when you start it (showing BIOS messages), while with standby you will only see windows directly. Also, if a laptop is in standby it will be completely off with no LEDs on (except from maybe one indicating its charging the battery), in standby your power LED will blink on most systems.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-24-2007 01:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
Hibernate will put all of the "stuff" that is on the RAM and place it as a file onto the HDD, and then it turns off (Or to be more simple, "It takes a screenshot of the RAM). So the more RAM you have the longer it shall take. And when you turn the PC/Laptop back on it will load the ram file (that is on the HDD) onto the RAM so all your programs will still be there etc.

Standby basically turns off power consuming components like the hard disks and monitor. It switches the computer or laptop to a low power state. Any contents of memory and unsaved desktop settings are lost.

Thus Standby DOES use battery power but only very little

This post was edited on 08-24-2007 at 01:14 PM by Nathan.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-24-2007 01:13 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
To give an example of how long each can last I will use my laptop as an example (this is likely to differ with laptops, batteries, ages of batteries, etc.).  With a battery at 100% I have about 44 hours of standby or 36 days with hibernate(I assume this is how long the battery will last, hibernate will stay forever).  With my computer on however I get between 3 and 4 hours (it's a toshiba with a 17" screen, what do you expect :P).

This post was edited on 08-24-2007 at 02:17 PM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
08-24-2007 01:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Erm, hate to say this, hibernate can be turned off for years and tears. It does NOT rely on battery :/

EDIT: For those who do not believe me. There is a simple test, Just put your laptop/pc into hibernation and then pull the power lead/battery out. Then plug it back in and you will see it still loads everything up.

This post was edited on 08-24-2007 at 02:14 PM by Nathan.

08-24-2007 02:09 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
hibernate can be turned off for years and tears. It does NOT rely on batter
True

markee's 36 days may be his laptop battery loosing power over the time even when its turned completely off, but thats another story that doesn't have anything todo with hibernate.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-24-2007 02:56 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Well yes the battery does discharge over a period of time, however it will not be as short as 36 days. My laptop has been in hibernation for 3 months before so meh. And my old laptop was in hibernation for over a year when I last turned it on it still had 90% (I can't remember if it was fully charged at the time)
+ The old laptop had a battery life span of about 30 minutes.

This post was edited on 08-24-2007 at 03:05 PM by Nathan.

08-24-2007 03:04 PM
WaqasTariq

41 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?
Thanks people (Y) for the help I was actually talking about sleep mode (standby).

now that I know more clearly I thik I will rather shutdown my laptop when I go for office tomorow :)

I love my laptop and dont want anything to happen to it (K) why take risk...
08-24-2007 05:09 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
What risk are you taking?
There is no risk in putting it in standby or hibernation. It is "debatable" that it is more damage to the pc each time you turn it off (Though don't argue about it. Just what I have heard).

08-24-2007 05:12 PM
WaqasTariq

41 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?
quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
What risk are you taking?
There is no risk in putting it in standby or hibernation. It is "debatable" that it is more damage to the pc each time you turn it off (Though don't argue about it. Just what I have heard).

By risk I meant putiing some imp data on it (or even with data) the laptop to hibernate... and forget to shutdown before going on some trip that might last days and i have to go with out my laptop
08-24-2007 06:52 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: