What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT [Crisis Averted]

PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT [Crisis Averted]
Author: Message:
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Shocked  PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT [Crisis Averted]
i just accidentally unpacked a 7.5 gb rar archive withought knowing where it would unpack, it unpacked to my c drive but my c drive only had 7.6gb of free space, but now when i try to find where it unpacked, I CANT FIND IT, so therefore i cant delete it, im using winrar ver 3.51 and it says the default temporary unpacking place is C:\DOCUME~1\<username>\LOCALS~1\Temp\     but its not there.

PLEASE HELP ME

EDIT: Crisis averted *phew* it like automatically deleted itself... iono how but and explanation would still be nice

This post was edited on 08-29-2007 at 06:59 AM by Th3rmal.
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
08-29-2007 06:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
RE: PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT
http://windirstat.info/

try that program, it will allow you to track down which folders have the most space, with a 7.5 gb folder, it shouldn't be too hard to see stand out
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6621 days, 9 hours, 2 minutes, 50 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
08-29-2007 06:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT [Crisis Averted]
quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz

EDIT: Crisis averted *phew* it like automatically deleted itself... iono how but and explanation would still be nice

Not enough space so the file didn't finish extracting?
08-29-2007 07:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT
To get some free disk space fast clear web browser caches and do a disk cleanup.

Go to C:\DOCUME~1\<username>\LOCALS~1\Temp\ and delete the stuff that is in there. Not everything will be able to be deleted, some will be in use, so delete row by row and just ignore the files that were unable to be deleted.

Windirstat is really good though. It'll let you easilly find your biggest files and folders.

quote:

When you start a file from inside Winrar, it deletes them after you are done, unless the stuff is in use. If the stuff is in use, it just leaves it and doesn't throw an error because the stuff is in the Temp directory anyway.

This post was edited on 08-29-2007 at 07:11 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
08-29-2007 07:09 AM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT [Crisis Averted]
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

Not enough space so the file didn't finish extracting?
o no the file finished extracting its just i only had 167 mb left on my main c drive, and a popup said to delete stuff or the system will go instable, thats y i panicked. but then i went to the toilet, came back and checked how much space was on my c drive and it was 7.5 gb...weird.....

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
To get some free disk space fast clear web browser caches and do a disk cleanup.

Go to C:\DOCUME~1\<username>\LOCALS~1\Temp\ and delete the stuff that is in there. Not everything will be able to be deleted, some will be in use, so delete row by row and just ignore the files that were unable to be deleted.

Windirstat is really good though. It'll let you easilly find your biggest files and folders.
i checked my tem files for the extraction also, but there was like nothing above about 30mb, so i figured it wouldnt do  much good to delete all the stuff, but i guess you are right, and i will be sure to use windirstat next time something like this happens (if im careful enough it wont happen again...)
thx all

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
When you start a file from inside Winrar, it deletes them after you are done, unless the stuff is in use. If the stuff is in use, it just leaves it and doesn't throw an error because the stuff is in the Temp directory anyway.
well thats a relief, that would be why it deleted itself, cus i quickly exited the program...

This post was edited on 08-29-2007 at 07:18 AM by Th3rmal.
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
08-29-2007 07:16 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
RE: PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT [Crisis Averted]
quote:
o no the file finished extracting its just i only had 167 mb left on my main c drive, and a popup said to delete stuff or the system will go instable, thats y i panicked.
Don't worry, it's not like that your computer would crash. Some programs probably wouldn't work, but that's all. I was once with 232KB free but my computer was working fine :P
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
08-29-2007 10:29 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: PLEASE HELP!!!! URGENT [Crisis Averted]
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
o no the file finished extracting its just i only had 167 mb left on my main c drive, and a popup said to delete stuff or the system will go instable, thats y i panicked.
Don't worry, it's not like that your computer would crash. Some programs probably wouldn't work, but that's all. I was once with 232KB free but my computer was working fine :P

Not always will a fine working computer be the case, you were lucky. Things go funny when you run low on free space. It happened to me just yesterday and the bugginess of the computer made it difficult for me to even free up space.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
08-29-2007 10:48 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: