What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Keyboard and Mouse?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Keyboard and Mouse?
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Keyboard and Mouse?
Hey,

I need to get a keyboard and mouse but don't know what to get.

I like the looks of this mouse (Trust GM-4200 USB Gamer Optical Mouse)
http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=10357

[Image: Trust_GM-4200.jpg]

I like that mouse because it has buttons on the side which I can configure to go back/forward on Internet Explorer/Firefox which saves time. I have the downgrade of that mouse (MI-2500X) but I'd like something a bit better.

But could anyone recommend me a keyboard/mouse ? Is your keyboard/mouse good?

I could really do with a keyboard that is quiet because when I'm typing late at night my family get annoyed because the keyboard is loud. I'd appreciate if your keyboard isn't loud then reccomend it to me :tongue:.

Oh and nothing too expensive please :P

Thanks!!! :grin:

This post was edited on 09-06-2007 at 10:28 AM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
09-06-2007 10:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: Keyboard and Mouse?
something wrong with your last thread about buying computer hardware..........

its here Building a custom pc incase you can't find it

as for the mouse n keyboard. find one you like the look of and buy it :rolleyes:

This post was edited on 09-06-2007 at 10:46 AM by toddy.
09-06-2007 10:45 AM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
Wired mouse ftl.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
09-06-2007 04:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Lukas
Wired mouse ftl.
wired mouse FTW, doesn't eat its way through batteries. plus your on a desktop, wired is fine
09-06-2007 04:58 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I love my logitech MX revolution. (Althought I am highly looking to get the up-coming logitech VX nano).

As for the keyboard, although I own a dinovo edge, I do not suggest it to you, even if I got it half price, other than the good looks and the rechargable battery, not very much worth it.

Try and check out the Logitech WAVE, it looks pretty cool, and should't be that expensive.

Oh, and yes, I am a logitech fanatic. =P
09-06-2007 10:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
I've noticed that keyboards built into laptops are quiet. You might want to consider a slim or portable keyboard that has similar keys to a laptop keyboard for quietness.

FYI; My Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard isn't very quiet, but is nowhere near as loud as the Optima and IBM keyboards at my school.

This post was edited on 09-07-2007 at 09:38 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-07-2007 09:34 AM
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
FYI; My Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard isn't very quiet, but is nowhere near as loud as the Optima and IBM keyboards at my school.
I have the same one, It isn't quiet but the batteries last for ever in these things.

If you want a quiet keyboard get something like this. :P
09-07-2007 09:57 AM
Verte

A lot of dashslotters seem to rave about those Kensington expert mice. Their trackballs look nice too. I think they are pricey, though.

I think my modes of preference have typically gone tablet > thinkpad clitmouse > trackball [esp. for FPS] > anything else, as long as it is wired and optical. At that low end, you have a lot of options, and not much separating them at all. If you're a heavy mouse user, invest some money in a quality pointing device, your wrist will thank you! Otherwise, you usually just want something that is comfortable and works.

I'm pretty boring as far as keyboards go, I hate all those useless extra buttons keyboard manufacturers stick up the top, cluttering things up. Add to that, desktop keyboards ALL have too much travel, and include that "Num Pad" [does anyone actually use that thing?], and miss out on useful features like META, SUPER and HYPER keys, for example. I think, until cheap Art Lebedev Studio Optimus Maximus clones hit the market [ten years, if ya lucky], the best looking option might be to hack an ordinary keyboard.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
09-07-2007 09:59 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
I use the num pad and always hesitate when i have to type numbers on a keyboard that doesn't have one. I use non on the extra keys on my keyboard except the media keys and calculator key (all keyboards should have this, I end up pressing a non-existant button at school). I've never had "features like META, SUPER and HYPER keys" so I don't miss them and wouldn't consider them useful (unless I had had them for a while and gotten used to them).
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-07-2007 10:10 AM
Verte

RE: RE: Keyboard and Mouse?
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I use the num pad and always hesitate when i have to type numbers on a keyboard that doesn't have one. I use non on the extra keys on my keyboard except the media keys and calculator key (all keyboards should have this, I end up pressing a non-existant button at school). I've never had "features like META, SUPER and HYPER keys" so I don't miss them and wouldn't consider them useful (unless I had had them for a while and gotten used to them).

The num pad is pretty fast. I think I'd be at a bit of a loss if I were doing data entry or something.

Otherwise, that you've got to take your hand off the home position to use them makes up for that speed, if you're inputing both text and numbers.

I know Windows can bind keys globally to a running application, but that certainly isn't customisable from the users point of view [neither is it in X, sadly], as it is in applescript. And unfortunately, Windows global key binding is limited to running applications, though you could use a daemon if you wanted to start something else.

What I'm getting at is, you could bind a key combination to open the calculator, if you had a spare key combination that applications are unlikely to use. And, if you had extra combination keys, like META, you could do it. Without the clutter of an extra row of keys.

By the way, did you check out the links? Especially the steampunk mod. That is one awesome keyboard.

PS. space cadet keyboard

This post was edited on 09-07-2007 at 11:13 AM by Verte.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
09-07-2007 11:04 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: