What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Got school laptop, but its restricted..

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
Got school laptop, but its restricted..
Author: Message:
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted..
exactly. unless you boot from CD or flopy, you can't do shit
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
09-14-2007 02:15 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
if the bios is unlocked, yes.

otherwise you're screwed
09-14-2007 02:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Finally got there 8-)

Also, it may just be me but if you have to give it back they _might_ realise you've done something to it.

This post was edited on 09-14-2007 at 07:08 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
09-14-2007 07:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Crtl-Alt-Shift-F6

Now guess the password (it's a school so it must be your school name or some crappy crap (Smilie)).
try the computer name

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Also, it may just be me but if you have to give it back they _might_ realise you've done something to it.
indeed, unless you're keeping the laptop for a long period of time, then no piont.
09-14-2007 08:27 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Woraug

A Credit to Dementia

36 / Male / –
From my experience, alot of schools like to use their initials as the password to things.  Like, if the school is Washington Junior High School, try WJHS.  Or, you could remove the drive from the laptop, throw it in an external case (if you don't have one, you can probably get one dirt cheap at your local computer store), format it on another computer, toss it back in, and reinstall.  If you intend on giving the laptop back, just go buy another 2.5" HD and use it.  Keep the original HD set aside, and put it back in when you return it.
[Image: Sentinel.png]
09-14-2007 08:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Steven

Phillup you little devil you/..

30 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted..
quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
From my experience, alot of schools like to use their initials as the password to things.  Like, if the school is Washington Junior High School, try WJHS.  Or, you could remove the drive from the laptop, throw it in an external case (if you don't have one, you can probably get one dirt cheap at your local computer store), format it on another computer, toss it back in, and reinstall.  If you intend on giving the laptop back, just go buy another 2.5" HD and use it.  Keep the original HD set aside, and put it back in when you return it.

This laptop is supposed to guide me through  highschool. Im in grade 9. So Ill probably have it for a while
[Image: sig2ni2.gif] 
09-14-2007 11:23 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted..
quote:
Originally posted by Steven
This laptop is supposed to guide me through  highschool. Im in grade 9. So Ill probably have it for a while

Format it and install a fresh OS to get rid of Deep Freeze and any other wierdness that it has preloaded, but before you do, get any software thay you need to have on the laptop to connect to the school network (Novell Client, Citrix Client etc) and possibly web proxy settings (any of our own browsers don't work at our school only because nobody knows the proxy server, the program is unrestricted but there is a firewall that blocks access).
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-14-2007 11:39 AM
Steven

30 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Format it and install a fresh OS to get rid of Deep Freeze and any other wierdness that it has preloaded, but before you do, get any software thay you need to have on the laptop to connect to the school network (Novell Client, Citrix Client etc) and possibly web proxy settings (any of our own browsers don't work at our school only because nobody knows the proxy server, the program is unrestricted but there is a firewall that blocks access).

So how would I just backup all that stuff?
09-14-2007 12:57 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
maybe a copy/paste would work, maybe you need to get the installer, maybe you can find a light version, maybe a third-party solution, maybe you don't actually need it at all...

i don't really know how your schools system is, you will need to ask the teachers (if they like you/are nice) or do some research (try using a live cd to see what happens if you don't have any special software (maybe it works anyway) and try playing around with login options on the laptop or fixed school computers to see how it works
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-14-2007 01:06 PM
Steven

30 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
maybe a copy/paste would work, maybe you need to get the installer, maybe you can find a light version, maybe a third-party solution, maybe you don't actually need it at all...

i don't really know how your schools system is, you will need to ask the teachers (if they like you/are nice) or do some research (try using a live cd to see what happens if you don't have any special software (maybe it works anyway) and try playing around with login options on the laptop or fixed school computers to see how it works

In school I connect through cable modem or dsl i think. So How do i check if i need the proxy settings
09-14-2007 01:10 PM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: