What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » woo, there goes freedom.

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
woo, there goes freedom.
Author: Message:
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: woo, there goes freedom.
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
You don't get into an argument with an officer, you do as they say and then if you believe you're in the right you lodge a complaint to someone or take legal action if it's worth it.
indeed, if you want to get no where, then yes you can be a fool and listen to the officer, and the lodge a complaint. to which you'll get a standard letter, saying that the incident will be looked in to...blah blah. then amazing you'll get a follow up letter saying lack of evidence or the officer was right.

however if you want the incident cleared up straight away, you ask what you have done wrong/against the law. and if you'd done nothing wrong, then his next words are more then likely to be "well this time, we're not going to follow it up. however next time you may get arrested....blah blah."

as long as you're not a totally prick about it, then you have right to chellenge what the officers say.
09-20-2007 03:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
however if you want the incident cleared up straight away, you ask what you have done wrong/against the law. and if you'd done nothing wrong, then his next words are more then likely to be "well this time, we're not going to follow it up. however next time you may get arrested....blah blah."
Well ofcourse I agree that you can ask what you've done wrong if they haven't already made it clear to you which is what I imagine they will do from the start...
09-20-2007 03:57 PM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
You don't get into an argument with an officer, you do as they say
If you know what the law and your rights are, and you are asked by the police for something you are not required to do -- then you can (and should) refuse.

An excellent example of this (under the laws of most U.S. states) is police asking to search your car during a routine traffic stop.  You are not obligated to consent to a search.  If they have a probable cause to believe there is something to find, they won't ask you; they are asking you because they don't.  By consenting, you are inviting them to look for something else to charge you with and giving up the defense of unlawful search, should they search and find something.  Same applies for police coming to your door without a warrant and wanting "to look around". 

This is clearly off topic, but I think it's important to note there are times when you shouldn't blindly cooperate.
09-20-2007 04:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
yeah, thing is, those officers had only .0000001% of Bush's power and they abused it.

i always thought you were canadian xD
nope, I am left to defend my nation...

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
It isn't america, its "United States of America". America includes you and me, sonicsam, so no :<
Don't forget Central and South America.
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
09-20-2007 04:50 PM
Steven

Phillup you little devil you/..

30 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
What.. The.. Fuck..

I'm not even starting about the freedom of speech thing... the vid is cut multiple times, i don't know how long he was behind the mic, but i could understand he would be asked to leave if Kerry wanted that (but if the police acted on its own, that would be plain wrong). But WTF is wrong with those cops!? There are 6 of them and they still use a taser (Smilie). They could have just cuffed the guy and walk him out, it's a fucking student and doesn't look that strong, not a criminal.

Okay watch the video, not what CNN aired on TV because it didn't show everything. The reason he was tasered was the fact that the 5 or 6 police officers were not all on him at once, if you see. Also he injured 4 police officers some sources said. But he was clearly resisting arrest and was moving aroung and police couldn't cuff him. Watch Cops(The show) and you will see 100's of situations just like this one. The police made the right move.

[Image: sig2ni2.gif] 
09-20-2007 07:29 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Steven

Okay watch the video, not what CNN aired on TV because it didn't show everything. The reason he was tasered was the fact that the 5 or 6 police officers were not all on him at once, if you see. Also he injured 4 police officers some sources said. But he was clearly resisting arrest and was moving aroung and police couldn't cuff him. Watch Cops(The show) and you will see 100's of situations just like this one. The police made the right move.
Injured the police officers, that's bollocks. All he did was flail his arms about.

If the police officers are saying they got injured, they're just trying to justify their actions. There is no way any need to taser. If 6 policeman couldn't hold him down and cuff him, they really need some new policemen.

It's ridiculous, the police aren't Gods, stop believing everything they do is right and stop licking their ass.

This post was edited on 09-20-2007 at 08:04 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
09-20-2007 07:58 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I watched 3 versions of it now.

Yes, they guy is being loud and taking his time at the mic. But Kerry actually wanted to answer right before the cops took action. If they didn't interfere at that point nothing much would probably have happened, but instead they drag him away from the mic, not even allowing him to hear what Kerry would have responded. I would have resisted too, except from being loud and asking critical questions he didn't do anything wrong.

Even if thousands of people in the TV show cops get tasered, that doesn't make it right. Fuck, police around here doesn't even have tasers, with a bit of training 2 cops and just human force would have got that guy in cuffs easily. The guy doesn't carry any weapons, he isn't even aggressive against the cops, he's just trying to get away.

And at the end of this all he is charged for "Incitement to riot"

quote:
Originally posted by http://data.opi.state.mt.us/bills/mca/45/8/45-8-104.htm
45-8-104. Incitement to riot. (1) A person commits the offense of incitement to riot if he purposely and knowingly commits an act or engages in conduct that urges other persons to riot. Such act or conduct shall not include the mere oral or written advocacy of ideas or expression of belief which advocacy or expression does not urge the commission of an act of immediate violence.
     (2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person convicted of the offense of incitement to riot shall be fined not to exceed $500 or be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months, or both.
     (3) A person who commits the offense of incitement to riot while incarcerated at any state adult correctional facility shall be imprisoned for not less than 1 year or more than 5 years.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-20-2007 08:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
I thought I had replied to this thread :undecided:

As I said, he was acting very childish, so I think he deserved it. Disobeying the instructions of a police officer is an act against order.. and they can arrest you for that. Yes, the cops overreacted, but his reaction wasn't appropriate...
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
09-20-2007 08:48 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by q25
Disobeying the instructions of a police officer is an act against orderand they can arrest you for that. Yes, the cops overreacted, but his reaction wasn't appropriate
only if you're doing something wrong in the first place. otherwise it falls into entrapment.

as for his reaction not been appropriate. he won't have had any reaction, if the police hadn't got invloved/gone over the top.
09-20-2007 08:53 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
You may be all anti-American here, which is really easy to do, but you need to break away from being a Daily Mail hypocrite and look at this from a real context. This is clearly the problem of the police officer(s), the government nor the people see it as acceptable (hence why it has been all over the news), this is not the government's fault. This officer just represents the government and you need to open your eyes and see only he is to blame. Now step away from Digg and think before others form your opinion, for that is the best way to think.
09-20-2007 08:56 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: