What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Boss protect/messenger lock neglects new contact notification

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Boss protect/messenger lock neglects new contact notification
Author: Message:
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Boss protect/messenger lock neglects new contact notification
When Windows Live Messenger is locked/hidden using Messenger Plus, all Messenger and Messenger Plus windows should disappear and all new ones be hidden as well.

If Messenger is hidden, and then somebody adds you to their contact list, the notification that allows you to block or allow them and add them to your list is not hidden like the rest of Messenger.

Steps to reproduce
  1. Start Messenger with Messenger Plus and sign in.
  2. Have Messenger set to notify you when somebody adds you to their contact list.
  3. Hide Messenger (by pressing Ctrl + Space or using Lock Messenger in the menus).
  4. Have somebody add you to their contact list.
  5. Messenger will notify you even though all of Messenger should be hidden.
My software versions are Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600), Windows Live Messenger 8.5.0816, Messenger Plus! Live 4.23.0.276 but I've seen the same bug with older versions as well.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-04-2007 02:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: Boss protect/messenger lock neglects new contact notification
I believe Patchou marked this as a 'limitation'.
10-04-2007 02:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Boss protect/messenger lock neglects new contact notification
Oh, OK. I had never seen this mentioned, so today I reported it. Would be nice to see it fixed but I wouldn't know how it needs to be done to supress them or what makes the windows show anyway.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-04-2007 02:37 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
Also, as far as I remember, once upon a time a window popped up here to notify me about someone wants to start a Sharing Folder with me while my Messenger was locked. This is a similar limitation.
10-04-2007 09:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I know this may sound stupid but... I cannot seem to get the "do yo uwant to add this person" popup anymore? I'm trying my best to delete my contact from the list, signout, block him, etc... when I add him back, no notification is generated (I'm using two accounts on my system for this test).

I'd like to fix this once in for all but I'll need a way to reproduce it first :p
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-05-2007 05:45 AM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I know this may sound stupid but... I cannot seem to get the "do yo uwant to add this person" popup anymore? I'm trying my best to delete my contact from the list, signout, block him, etc... when I add him back, no notification is generated (I'm using two accounts on my system for this test).

I'd like to fix this once in for all but I'll need a way to reproduce it first :p

i assume you've had your conact add you not you ad them right:P
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6620 days, 18 hours, 30 minutes, 18 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
10-05-2007 06:04 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:

At the moment you add him back, he mustn't have your email address in his Allow or Block Lists. And in order to delete yourself from the Lists of him (:) I think that he is also you) he must sign out, and then resign in. To make everything work correctly, you had better sign out after deleting him at first.

PS: I think you'll be able to solve that problem. Then I hope you can solve that similar problem with Sharing Folders.

EDIT: I believe you know all the procedure to reproduce it but there was some problem while you're trying it. Because I tried all things here, and I couldn't reproduce it like you for some of tests. This may be important to signout and resignin after changing anything on lists.

Actually trying to test it with only two accounts and even on a single computer makes everything more difficult. I'll advice you to complete writing codes which solve the problem, then lock your messenger and just post a thread in T&T and request people add you. :d:D:d

By the way, why did I strike out some sentences in this post? Because I knew that we can't delete contacts from our Allow/Block lists after they deleted us from their contact lists unless we start a fresh session on Messenger. However in one of my tests, I saw that after a couple of seconds my contact deleted me, I was able to delete him from my Allow List.

This post was edited on 10-05-2007 at 12:04 PM by ahmetgns.
10-05-2007 08:45 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:

I think you forgot that that contact needs to delete you too so you can take him off all your lists...including the allow list (no request is made if allowed already). Deleting from allow list is only available after loggin out and back in again. Should generate a popup after that. ;)

This post was edited on 10-05-2007 at 09:19 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-05-2007 09:10 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Boss protect/messenger lock neglects new contact notification
quote:

If you delete them from your contact list (they don't appear in your list, you don't get notifications when they sign in etc) they are not deleted from your account completely, they are still on your (hidden) allow/block list (addresses on these lists may or may not be on your contact list). I'm not sure of what happens if you or they sign out and back in.

Some special messenger clients (I have used one on the web as a Java applet, and used one that's an exe for download, but can't remember the name or location of either) let you sign in, but instead of having chat features they have special list managment features like letting you remove people from your main contact list and allow list also or automatically remove everybody that doesn't have you on their list as well. To get the popup, you can use one of these list managers or use a brand new email address for testing (or try the sign out/in method described by Sunshine).

This post was edited on 10-07-2007 at 03:11 AM by rav0.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

10-05-2007 10:50 AM
vikke

31 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Boss protect/messenger lock neglects new contact notification
quote:

Patchou:
Messenger calls CreateDialogIndirectParamAorW to create this dialog.

See the attached screenshot of the window classes etc gathered with Spy++.

.png File Attachment: windowclassesinspyxx.png (13.06 KB)
This file has been downloaded 134 time(s).
10-05-2007 09:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: