What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Dreams of becoming a DJ..

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Dreams of becoming a DJ..
Author: Message:
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Dreams of becoming a DJ..
Hi there Plus!ers :p.

As the topic says, I have great dreams to become a DJ (and an economist in full time also lol). However, I've never been in touch with this environment and am currently looking for some advice (potentially free advice, that is lol)

I really like hip hop (good hip hop of course) and after having 'studied' it a bit and knowing more from the late 80's / 90's,  I think I now have enough  to start my dream. Starting with some simple mixes, just making compilations of songs I love, getting to know the 'game' works, get my idea?

Just look at DJ Premier's MPC + Sampling + Scratching great job in this video : (watch the first 50 seconds) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCU-qgR_4bM ... Just love the beat he makes on the MPC and the scratch / sample fits so greeeat. Doing that is my dream made into images lol.

Knowning some members have experience in this area (Exca, MC Inferno), I would like to ask them what should I read and what should I learn prior to buying gear and learning how to work with it.. I'm looking to buy some used mixers / decks for my first experience, but I really don't know what to pick and, further more, I don't even know if this is the right place to start on.

Just to conclude my hopes and dreams, I do not exclude House music from my horizons but I want to start with some type of music I'm into, and as I know very little about House... :P

For all of you who are saying "WHY IS THIS IN TECH TALK?!?!one", well, it's about TECHNOLOGIC musical aid lol (and how to start using it too)

Thanks y'all :)

This post was edited on 10-08-2007 at 01:45 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
10-08-2007 01:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Snake

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ..
Well right now I have a Behringer DX 1000. It is a DJ Mixer but then you have to buy your own CD deck or Turntable. I know they make units that have all that in one setup. I would recommend something like that.

To learn how to DJ I would do lots of re shearch on the internet. Then start mixing your own. The big thing I find when your actually using your equipment is make sure you know it well. If you don't you end taking way to much time trying to figure it out.
[Image: sig.png]
10-08-2007 02:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/44/106/462/C...0%20MK3/index.html
or
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/44/106/462/DVJ-1000/index.html
&
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/44/74/461/DJM-600/index.html

however that will set you back £3000 or so. so if you want the cheap options. go for some numarks. a lot cheaper brand, but alrite/good quality. go have a look on http://www.decks.co.uk, find something that you think its good, but cheap. as you don't wanna be warming lots of money at the start. http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/numark/axis4 would be a good place to start looking

This post was edited on 10-08-2007 at 03:30 PM by toddy.
10-08-2007 03:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ..
Hi there!

Thanks you all for your answers, I really appreciate them, but I'll ask again just to be sure : Do you think buying gear is the first step I should take?

I was looking not to exceed my purchases over 500 euros (~350 pounds) for starters, which means that I'll need to buy used gear but that doesn't bother me at all as long as I can learn from it :)
The world is yours
10-08-2007 05:33 PM
Lourix

32 / Male / Flag
First of all is there anyone you know that will let you have a go with their gear? If you havn't done it before or have little experience then asking someone to let you go on their gear would be pretty good. Also network with other DJs; ask them for advice and contacts. It's amazing what you can pick up just by watching other people and if you show enthusiasm most people should be willing to help.
[Image: 202180054.png]
10-08-2007 07:17 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Hey Lourix!

Unfortunately.. No, there is no one I can ask for help or to have a go at it :(... I wish there was.
The world is yours
10-08-2007 08:15 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
Do you think buying gear is the first step I should take?
dude, try and see if you can rent some basic equipment (or if you can't find it, some basic 'virtual dj' thing), to see if you _really_ like it enough to spend up that much money on it.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
10-08-2007 09:25 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Again, there's no away to rent  / ask someone for equipment :s.. I've tried Virtual DJ many times, it just doesn't feel right but I know I've got the desire in me..

I just need to know what to buy and then.. read, keep trying until I succeed, which could take ages, but that doesn't worry me at all.
The world is yours
10-08-2007 09:46 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

If you want to create your own songs, then your best bet is to buy yourself a EMU-X sound card pack (need an internal one, and external), a decent usb keyboard, and pick yourself up a copy of Cubase SX3. Then of course you'll have to download the effects plugins etc, it's not such a difficult piece of software to get used to, you just really need a soundcard to use it, so it's expensive to get it started up.
10-09-2007 07:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Since you haven't said whay you own already (I assume that you at least own a CD player), I would say get some decent speakers and amp (if you don't already). That'll let you learn more and play music with more volume, and it will last you for ages you could just use in in your lounge room even if you didn't want it. More DJ-style equipment I can't really recommend for you, but I would say to try out stuff that friends/family own or at a hotel or club somewhere (maybe even get a job there). Then you will get an idea of what kinf of stuff stuff you can always expect to have as standard and what extra features you like.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-09-2007 07:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: