What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Major doubt on electronics..

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Major doubt on electronics..
Author: Message:
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Major doubt on electronics..
quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
Ah, now I deducted what a transformer was.. Being what I think it is, it's really simple then :p

This one, per example, would do, right?

Thanks
IIRC that should work perfectly :P
[Image: jumbled.png]
10-13-2007 02:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
I just bought a Technics 1200 MK2 turntable from the US on eBay. It is said to work on 110v, will it be ok if I use it with an adapter from 110v to 240v for it to support the Portuguese electrical plugs?
Most equipment would be ok with a step-down transformer as others have already pointed out, but specifically because it's a turntable, you may still have a problem.

Besides the voltage, there is also a frequency difference between AC in US and Europe -- US uses 60Hz, Europe uses 50Hz. Many (if not most) turntables use AC motors, which will run too slow on the lower frequency.  A simple step-down transformer will only change the voltage, it won't do anything about the frequency.

So, you should try to find out whether this model of turntable has an AC or a DC motor.  If it's confirmed AC or you can't find out, I'd strongly suggest canceling the purchase.

Edit: I looked it up -- it's impressive that a turntable has it's own Wikipedia article.  The fact it has variable pitch control tells me it uses a DC motor, so you should be fine.

This post was edited on 10-13-2007 at 05:23 PM by Adeptus.
10-13-2007 05:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Major doubt on electronics..
All the information I have about the turntable in terms of power is :

AC 110v 60Hz 14w

I'm simply dumb when it comes to electric business, but I guess that AC I mentioned has nothing to do with the AC/DC business you mentioned above (or has it?)

If someone could pick a reliable transformer for me, I'd really appreciate it, as it doesn't seem that simple anymore..

Edit : Also, I've found out Portuguese plugs work on 230v, at least that's what the law says.

This post was edited on 10-13-2007 at 05:46 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
10-13-2007 05:45 PM
Adeptus

vaccination's suggestion would be fine.  You can also use something smaller, such as V85 and V100 models here.

The only thing you don't want is the high wattage "solid state" converters that are only recommended for non-electronic appliances.  There are some of those further down on the same page.
10-13-2007 05:56 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: