What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New Computer/Laptop

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Poll: What should I get?
Get a new computer
Get a new laptop
Get a new latop and improve computer
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
New Computer/Laptop
Author: Message:
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. New Computer/Laptop
So yeah.. I decided to get a new computer/laptop. I think I'll get a laptop and just get some more ram and a new case or something for this one so that way I can have both..

Which laptop do you recommend me to get? I want something fast and that'll not go slow on me.

There's no price limits I guess.. but nothing too expensive because I don't want to buy some stuff I won't use.. so yeah.

Also something that won't be like obsolete in a short time =P

So..... recommendations?
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
10-13-2007 02:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: New Computer/Laptop
Firstly if you aren't going to move around with it lots then I highly suggest you just get a desktop.  If you want performance than I would look at desktop replacements with their 17" screen, but these can be a pain if you are taking it with you everywhere (but are great for viewing movies).  They cost more but are superior for the computing side (just not battery life and size/weight).

I recommend getting a decent brand too,  I just don't trust thee cheap imports :P.  Toshiba and Sony are always fairly safe choices, but Dell seems to have cheaper laptops for the same stuff inside.... its your choice really.

Make sure that you get the stuff you want, there are many laptops out there these days and you can get one that will be exactly what you are after (CPU, RAM, HDD etc) oh and make sure you look at the RPM of the HDD, 5,400 is usually what you get but I did see a 120GB HDD that was only like 4,200 or something and that would be deadly when you are used to your quick one on your PC (7,200RPM is the norm for PCs).  Make sure you get the etended warranty as well and look for ones that have wifi (preferably n type) and bluetooth and all the connectors you want.

Another thing to be careful of is the graphics card, make sure it uses its own memory, a lot use shared memory and that's just not cool.

And lastly, try before you buy (and read reviews of other people who have tried).  You don't want o get something that has some annoying features or the battery just dies on them after a little, or the sound is crap or blah blah blah....
[Image: markee.png]
10-13-2007 03:03 AM
Verte

Well, I don't know what you plan to use these for, because that's probably the defining factor. I have had my ThinkPad for a long, long time, and don't see myself replacing it any time in the future [unless I get something with a tagged TLB to do some porting]. The great thing about it is that it goes where I go- I don't have to sit at a desk, I can sit on the floor, on the roof, take my computer into the kitchen, etc. Not to mention, it sure feels solid. I've considered buying a newer laptop, but most of what I've seen feels a bit flimsy by comparison. I'd definitely have to go Lenovo again if I bought a new laptop.

Of course, if that doesn't apply to you, don't listen to me :) you can get much better graphics options on desktops. I might even buy a new desktop just to use CUDA.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
10-13-2007 05:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kao
Veteran Member

boring

37 / Male / Flag
Get a MacBook Pro.
10-13-2007 08:53 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Dell laptops aren't bad. Alienware or Sony VAIO if you want something fancy.

P.S. Don't let Toddy see, he'll moan that you can't decide anything by yourself :rolleyes:
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
10-13-2007 09:21 AM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
If you're getting a laptop, get either a Toshiba X200, an Asus G1S or an HP dv9575ep. I'm not a great fan of laptops but I understand people who need mobility. If you don't, though, don't get one by any means lol.
The world is yours
10-13-2007 11:01 AM
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
Well if you need a laptop for school or something then get one, but if you just want a laptop so you can go on the internet in different parts of your house then get a desktop. Laptops just get annoying after a while. You can't play many games on them, things take longer to load, its just not worth it.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
10-13-2007 11:16 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Well if you need a laptop for school or something then get one, but if you just want a laptop so you can go on the internet in different parts of your house then get a desktop. Laptops just get annoying after a while. You can't play many games on them, things take longer to load, its just not worth it.
Not true, you can run games on them you can run very graphical intense games on them, it just depends on what laptop you do get...
for example, I have a laptop and I can run bioshock on medium settings and it works great.

It all depends on what laptop you get. Try and get one with at least 1gig of ram and min of 256mb gfx.

Hope this helps.

sidenote to dt: the reason it didnt work with bioshock to begin with was because I had the wrong drivers :P
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

10-13-2007 11:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Not true, you can run games on them you can run very graphical intense games on them, it just depends on what laptop you do get...
for example, I have a laptop and I can run bioshock on medium settings and it works great.
quote:
min of 256mb gfx.
lol.

No you can't. My brother's laptop, per example, has an 8600M Graphics card, which supposedly, scores more 3DMark06 points than my X1950 Pro, and yet he can't play BMW M3 Challenge with the quality I do. Also, laptops will get outdated quickly, unlike desktops, which you can update.
The world is yours
10-13-2007 12:39 PM
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New Computer/Laptop
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip

It all depends on what laptop you get. Try and get one with at least 1gig of ram and min of 256mb gfx.

Hope this helps.

sidenote to dt: the reason it didnt work with bioshock to begin with was because I had the wrong drivers :P

I should have said that games wont run aswell as a desktop if he spent the same amount on the laptop as he did the desktop. I know you can runs games on a laptop, I'm not fucking stupid but if you are gonna get something to run games, get a desktop.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
10-13-2007 01:05 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: