What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Recomendations

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Recomendations
Author: Message:
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Recomendations
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
As I said you may aswell buy 2x1gb sticks. Its not worth buying another 2x512 sticks. You can buy any DDR2 ram that works with your mobo. As I cbf reading the report I am assuming you have a half decent mobo that supports all DDR2 ram. When installing there are 2 clips on each slot. You pull them back and the ram should half come out, then pull each stick out. When installing the new ram just make sure the clips are still open and push the ram into the slot till both clips lock in. Thats it, boot up and your ready to go.

If you want another 2gb of ram to go with your 1gb then you suck. It would be much better to run the 2gb by themselves.
Why, suerly 3GB is better than 2GB
BUMP
And also, inside my computer i have 4 RAM slors, yes, but 2 are white, and 2 are black, currently i have 2 sticks of 512 plugged into the white ports, and ive tried taking them out and plugging thrm both into the black ports, but my computer then didnt turn on, why is this?

And i assume grouding yourself just means sitting/standing on the floor lol yes?
10-14-2007 07:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Recomendations
quote:

BUMP
And also, inside my computer i have 4 RAM slors, yes, but 2 are white, and 2 are black, currently i have 2 sticks of 512 plugged into the white ports, and ive tried taking them out and plugging thrm both into the black ports, but my computer then didnt turn on, why is this?

And i assume grouding yourself just means sitting/standing on the floor lol yes?
Because the computer reads the first ram slot first, it thought you didn't have any ram and so couldn't start. The PC will read 1st slot then 3rd slot then 2nd, 4th (depending on how motherboard is laid out - basically same colours go together). That's the way works :P

And no, by grounding yourself I mean, grounding yourself.

This post was edited on 10-14-2007 at 09:22 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
10-14-2007 09:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
But my 2 white ports are 2nd and 4th?
And also, why did philip say that i shouldnt run 512 512 1gb 1gb and just run 2gb?
10-15-2007 06:31 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
But if you go in the other direction, that'd make your white ports 1st and 3rd. :P
[Image: jumbled.png]
10-15-2007 06:50 AM
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
But if you go in the other direction, that'd make your white ports 1st and 3rd. :P
lol i knew that:P
And also, why did philip say that i shouldnt run 512 512 1gb 1gb and just run 2gb?
10-15-2007 07:00 AM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
so where can i buy the best type of ram possible for this.

Mushkin XP2-5300 3-3-3-10 2 Gb (2 x 1 Gbyte)

Great RAM kit under than speed (~667 Mhz = PC2-5300)

This post was edited on 10-15-2007 at 01:15 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
10-15-2007 01:14 PM
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
Thanks
10-15-2007 02:24 PM
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Recomendations
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
lol i knew that:P

You would have to make sure they are exactly the same ram if you were going to do this. Ram runs alot better in duel channel mode. If you were running 2 different sets at different frequencies then all 4 sticks would most likely be running at the lowest speed. Also Different ram requires different voltages, timings etc. If you do find a pair of sticks the same as you have now then it should be ok.. as long as they are all the same specs.

Thats why I'm telling you to just get a 2x1gb kit of a good brand.. If you plan on upgrading then it wont be as hard chasing up the same type of ram, but chasing up the same type of generic ram is hell unless you know exactly what spec it is.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
10-15-2007 02:25 PM
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
You would have to make sure they are exactly the same ram if you were going to do this. Ram runs alot better in duel channel mode. If you were running 2 different sets at different frequencies then all 4 sticks would most likely be running at the lowest speed. Also Different ram requires different voltages, timings etc. If you do find a pair of sticks the same as you have now then it should be ok.. as long as they are all the same specs.

Thats why I'm telling you to just get a 2x1gb kit of a good brand.. If you plan on upgrading then it wont be as hard chasing up the same type of ram, but chasing up the same type of generic ram is hell unless you know exactly what spec it is.

Oh ok, ill just run the 2x1gb corsair ram i just bought from scan.co.uk
10-15-2007 02:53 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Recomendations
quote:

quote:

Huh?

2 x 512 + 2 x 1 GB gives 3 GB and it's all running in dual channel, and 3 GB is better than 2 GB. ram doesn't need to be matched exactly for dual channel operation, it's just ideal. If the timings are different but the size is still the same then it will still run at dual channel just not as well as if it were matched (still much better than not dual channel at all).

If you want to see a massive increase in performance from your computer, install a fresh operating system. Works wonders every time.

This post was edited on 10-17-2007 at 02:08 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-17-2007 02:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: