What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Router/Network Problem

Router/Network Problem
Author: Message:
bio_hazard13

37 / Male / –
O.P. Router/Network Problem
Ok here is the situation.  My mum recently got a new laptop to use for her work, and asked me to set it all up for her.  We also got a new adsl modem/wireless router (A D-link DSL-G604T generation II) so i set up that at the same time.

We initially had the exact same modem/router before just without wireless.  Now once I had set everything up the old wired network was still working and I could get internet through the wireless connection to the laptop, but I couldnt seem to connect it up the the network of other computers.  When i tried turing off all the firewalls (we use norton internet security) i managed to get it sort of working but when i turned them back on afterwards it wouldnt work, at least once the laptop had been restarted.

Now i didnt view this as much of a problem as the laptop is really going to be used mostly at my mums office.  but when i set it up to work there using a belkien wireless router, i get exactly the same situation. it can connect to the internet and the other pc at the office can connect to the internet but they cant connect to each other.  Once again when i turned of the norton firewalls they would see each other but once i had turned them back on, and restarted the laptop, i wasnt able to see the other computer from both of them at all.

What do i need to do to be able to fix this.  i'm sure that the problem is going to be solved pretty much the same way in both situations but I just don't know which way to go.  Any help will be, of course, greatly appreciated.
10-15-2007 06:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
RE: Router/Network Problem
ping all other computers in the network just as a test then

make sure you have sharing folders on the computers and that file and printer sharing is enabled.

then download net brute and do an ip scan of your network this will detect any avalible sharing folders, then open you internet browser then put: "ipaddress(outputted by netbrute)/folder(from netbrute)"
try that...

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
oh god d-link. I would advise you to chuck that crap out. These d-link modems stuff up all the time.
as for d-link they seem to have more problems than most routers but netcomm is my reccomendation

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

10-15-2007 07:05 AM
bio_hazard13

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Router/Network Problem
OK. will try and do that then get back to you guys.

Any other suggestions? and its not just with the dlink modem/router. i also have this problem at my mums office with a belkin router
10-15-2007 08:05 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
yeah netbrute is the way to test it
http://www.rawlogic.com/netbrute/nbrute10.zip

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

10-15-2007 08:18 AM
Adeptus

It sounds like you are trying to share files and folders, and it only works when you disable the Norton firewall.

This is normal and I wouldn't expect anything else - firewalls are supposed to block connections and are intended for computers directly connected to the Internet.  You will have to configure the firewall to allow the traffic you want.

I vaguely remember doing this with Norton a few years ago (certainly with an older version than you'd have) and it had an option to exclude IP addresses and subnets from filtering.  That would be the best way to do it -- just look up the first three octets of the IP addresses your router hands out and set up a subnet exception for that with a mask of 255.255.255.0 (e.g. 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0). 

If you can't find a way to do that, see if you can set a service exception to allow Microsoft networking.
10-15-2007 03:27 PM
bio_hazard13

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Router/Network Problem
Yeah thats what i think i have to do.  I sent an email to dlink and they told me basically to get in touch with norton as it must be their problem.  I reckon i'll wait till tomorrow to see if norton get back to me, then try myself if they haven't.

Thanks for the help so far.  I'll let you know how it all goes
10-16-2007 01:45 PM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
did you get replies from netbrute?

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer