What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » USB 3.0 - Oo

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
USB 3.0 - Oo
Author: Message:
Verte

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
USB 3.0 can transfer 4.8GB a second

No, it can transfer 4.8 Gb per second.

That's ~600 MB/s for those not mathematically inclined. Very fast nonetheless.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
10-29-2007 02:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Verte

In comparison, a CD is about 700MB and we all know how long it takes to read/write one of them, this would do the same amount of data in just ver a second.  Or a DVD in under 8 seconds or a DL BlueRay disk in about 84seconds.  Not bad by any means. :P
[Image: markee.png]
10-29-2007 03:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: USB 3.0 - Oo
quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by Verte

In comparison, a CD is about 700MB and we all know how long it takes to read/write one of them, this would do the same amount of data in just ver a second.  Or a DVD in under 8 seconds or a DL BlueRay disk in about 84seconds.  Not bad by any means. :P

It's fast, but you also have to consider wht it will be used for. If you buy a USB 3.0 CD burner it won't burn a DVD in 8 seconds, because DVDs are a slow medium anyway, and it's the actual disk which is slow, not the connections we use. Same goes for hard disks as well. I think that applications for USB 3.0 will be developed though.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-29-2007 03:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
It's fast, but you also have to consider wht it will be used for. If you buy a USB 3.0 CD burner it won't burn a DVD in 8 seconds, because DVDs are a slow medium anyway, and it's the actual disk which is slow, not the connections we use. Same goes for hard disks as well. I think that applications for USB 3.0 will be developed though.

Amen.
10-29-2007 03:19 AM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
I think you'll be looking at thumb drives that use 2 (or more) hard drives in RAID or something similar to maximise the potential. The same when going back to your computer as well.  You can also run VERY high quality video through it as well and it would drastically help with being able to carry around video editting files because they are always huge.  These are the first ideas that come to my mind but I'm sure other people will see te potential in the future and embrace it for other products....

EDIT: Personally I think Disc media is on the way out with the price of external HDDs dropping so low and also thumb drives getting cheap and cheaper at such an astonishing rate.

This post was edited on 10-29-2007 at 03:22 AM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
10-29-2007 03:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Intel decides to do make something good for a change!
for a change?

where have you been living since like the last... what, 5 years?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
10-29-2007 03:53 AM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
USB ad-hoc networks > Ethernet lulz?

Seriously... I only have 100mbps on my ethernet... and it really only transfers at about 10mbps (partially because I only transfer between my laptop and PC, laptop being wifi) so this could be pretty sweet for transferring files between them.

I don't think it's the USB that's giving you the problem with the speed for your flash drive, Vilkku, it's probably just the flash memory itself. Older flash memory tends to be pretty sucky at copying small files - as is ethernet + wifi, actually...

Anyway. I need to get dressed. :P
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
10-29-2007 07:35 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: USB 3.0 - Oo
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
USB ad-hoc networks > Ethernet lulz?

Seriously... I only have 100mbps on my ethernet... and it really only transfers at about 10mbps (partially because I only transfer between my laptop and PC, laptop being wifi) so this could be pretty sweet for transferring files between them.
Ethernet has already evolved to 10 Gbps, so twice that of USB 3.0. Plus, ethernet has recognition and support in the industry, and existing hardware can be easily and cheaply upgraded with phased implementation, giving it an advantage. Also, USB is only short range.

quote:
I think that applications for USB 3.0 will be developed though.

I've heard that people working with DV are restricted by the speed of FireWire and USB 2.0. Maybe USB 3.0 would be useful to them.

This post was edited on 10-30-2007 at 12:18 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-29-2007 10:50 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
i find hard to understand why we need so insanely fast connection speeds if mine were any quicker the processor would break
i guess it would be useful if you had to make a backup of a hard drive but just use external sata
i rarely copy large amounts of data to my flash disk @ once and even when i do wat's the rush??

hd movies sounds like the most necessary implimentation
i just need a new camera

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

10-29-2007 11:00 AM
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
Atm, I dont see why I would need it...the "Please wait..." time gives me time to do things in between (like play Tic-Tac-Toe)...I don't mind it taking a little while...
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6525 days, 2 hours, 58 minutes, 58 seconds ago.

10-29-2007 11:13 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: