What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » 4.50 with 9.0

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
4.50 with 9.0
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: 4.50 with 9.0
I don't intend to make it work for now no, except if the fixes are very easy to make. Remember that WLM9 will be tested privately for now and that it will be an alpha version, nothing any of you not reporting to Microsoft should consider installing on his computer.
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-27-2007 06:43 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee

Personally I suggest you stay with the lastest table build of 8.5, animated DPs aren't worth losing Plus! IMHO.
Signing in is alot faster and there are alot more changes.

I personally dont agree with Patchou's method; Plus! should be compatible with beta/alpha/RC/etc versions of Messenger. I know its difficuly but it would make it a even better program

Of course Plus! on beta/alpha versions should only be tested internally by beta testers.
11-28-2007 12:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Not really, takes 5 mins for the first time.
quote:
I personally dont agree with Patchou's method; Plus! should be compatible with beta/alpha/RC/etc versions of Messenger. I know its difficuly but it would make it a even better program
What Patchou is doing is fine. There is no point releasing a version of plus for a Beta/Alpha Messenger Build. Even if he made it, he'd keep it under Beta and not make it a public release.

Releasing Plus! compatible with Alpha/Beta versions encourages people to use the Alpha/Beta they aren't supposed to. And then people go crying about the unstableness. of the messenger
11-28-2007 01:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
One of the points that Patchou makes when giving his beta versions to beta testers of WLM is that they must check if the bug is in WLM or Plus as it can be easily mixed up.  When you are beta testing a program it is to report it's bugs, not to get it's new features before your friends.  If you want to use a beta version of WLM then your first priority should be on finding its bugs and reporting them without interference of ANY add-ons.  Plus bets of course get tested on these beta versions of WLM but should never be released because both are changing so much and it can lead to many problems when the next build comes around and he has to recode features for compatibility.  This is not a good thing when releases can actally cost Patchou money because of the excess bandwidth usages (like what atchou is planning will happen with 4.50).  It is best to just release a stable add-on for a stable messenger, don't you agree?  I would hate for either MS or Patchou to be wrongfully accused of bugs when it isn't their fault as it was caused by the other program or was caused due to changes in protocol.
[Image: markee.png]
11-28-2007 01:11 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Releasing Plus! compatible with Alpha/Beta versions encourages people to use the Alpha/Beta they aren't supposed to.
read: stimulating and spreading leaks...

I couldn't agree more...

quote:
One of the points that Patchou makes when giving his beta versions to beta testers of WLM is that they must check if the bug is in WLM or Plus as it can be easily mixed up.  When you are beta testing a program it is to report it's bugs, not to get it's new features before your friends. If you want to use a beta version of WLM then your first priority should be on finding its bugs and reporting them without interference of ANY add-ons.
That's true for the official Plus! testers. However, in the wild, there are far more people using alpha/beta (leaked) versions of Messenger because of the features (and to have something before their friends do) than they use alpha/beta's to actually test...

As said before, beta's can change so much it would be a real waste of time to try and make each (upcomming) Plus! version compatible with a non-public WLM alpha/beta. Time which would be far better spend improving features of Plus!.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-28-2007 04:30 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Although this is an interesting and justified discusison, it turned out that no real work was required to enable compatibility with WLM9 so it has been done. Some features may not work completely but as Cookie said, I'm not about to waste too much time on something that's meant to change :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-28-2007 05:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
NetRider

– / Male / Flag
Wink  RE: 4.50 with 9.0
I'm one of the BETA tester for WLM.
Yesterday Microsoft has released the BETA version (9.0) of WLM.

The "Plus!" menu item still shows but when I click on it, I get only 2 items listed.
"Software Not Loaded..."
"About MessengerPlus"

As usual, I'm sure Patchou will patch this :-)
11-28-2007 05:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Rolando
Veteran Member

Santasend

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:

Personally I suggest you stay with the lastest table build of 8.5, animated DPs aren't worth losing Plus! IMHO.

Of course Plus! on beta/alpha versions should only be tested internally by beta testers.

Guess what... Once again.. we don't care what you think or what you want. Once more you would only want this for your personal benefit.. but guess what.. we're no fools.

Patchou calls the shots. Not you, not me, not us collectively. One man, one program, indivisible, with dictatorship and spyware features for all.
[Image: sigxmascopy.png]
11-28-2007 07:18 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Rolando

Guess what... Once again.. we don't care what you think or what you want. Once more you would only want this for your personal benefit.. but guess what.. we're no fools.

Patchou calls the shots. Not you, not me, not us collectively. One man, one program, indivisible, with dictatorship and spyware features for all.
First off: Drop the attitude. I did not insult you or anyone else
Second: It is a opinion. A forum is to post your opinion on a certain matter at hand. You can agree or disagree with it but saying that you don't care makes it very sad that you pay a internet bill just to post "I don't care" in a forum.
Third: Of course I would enjoy Plus! for my own benefit but also for the benefit of other users of Plus!.
Forth:
quote:

Does kissing Patchou's ass help you anything in life?
11-29-2007 11:42 AM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Does kissing Patchou's ass help you anything in life?
Grow up.. :dodgy:

sure, people may be acting in a similar way towards you, but you've been persistent in believeing things which aren't true, and not accepting any advice anywhere. People get irritated easily by people who aren't willing do to some research and understand a bit for themselves. Just cool it a little.

This post was edited on 11-29-2007 at 11:52 AM by Oxy.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
11-29-2007 11:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: