What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Messenger Plus! 4.50 is Live!

Pages: (11): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Messenger Plus! 4.50 is Live!
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. Shocked  Messenger Plus! 4.50 is Live!
In the end, 6 months were necessary to create this update… 6 months! Looking back, I can’t believe time has passed so fast. This all started out like a standard minor update, destined to be labeled 4.30. I was working on it while most of you were clicking on the 6th Anniversary Contest grid. Then, an idea came up about improving the looks of the Plus! windows, followed by an urge to change everything, and when I finally decided to complete the skinning engine I had started 2 years ago, I knew the update would require more than another week to complete.

Here we are now, in December, 2 weeks away from Christmas, and the update has finally been uploaded to the servers! Not only that but the web site got a serious make-over as well. Everything looks nicer, everything works better; it is now up to you to decide whether or not all these changes were worth the efforts. Once again, I have to thank all the testers, all the translators, the graphic designers and the people in charge of the servers. They are all valuable members of the community, their help is precious and without them, Plus! wouldn’t be the software you know today.

As discussed in previous news posts, the main highlight of this update is skinning. You can now change the appearance of your Messenger, rapidly and securely. All the pictures can be modified, the windows re-shaped and the elements re-colorized… sky is the limit! Some of the testers did a lot of work in the past few weeks to showcase their talents and demonstrate how to work with the system. The resulting skins can be downloaded from the official Skins Database, a new section of msgpluslive.net. Note that some of these skins are not considered “final” (polished enough) by their creators yet but they’re worth downloading nonetheless.

If you’re interested in creating your own Messenger skin, check out the documentation included with Messenger Plus!, visit the help forum, take a look at the current skins to see how they were created and submit your creation when it’s ready to shine! More than 10 million scripts have been downloaded from the Scripts Database since last year already and skins promise to be as popular if not more. Remember that the success of this feature will mostly depend on your submissions so if you feel inspired, possess some basic technical knowledge and got some time ahead of you, don’t be shy and give the system a try! One last thing: in case you’d be wondering, yes, a skinning contest will indeed be organised early next year and every existing skin will be eligible :-).

Of course, skinning is only one of the many new things offered by this version. The Preferences panel has been re-designed with many new options added all over the place, Script developers can now enjoy new API functions as well as a much better built-in editor with support for IntelliSense and outlining, the Log Viewer has been completely reworked with features like “search in files” and “maximize view”, the Contact List Clean-Up now offers a “show contacts who have me in their list” mode, Contact Information windows give more information about your contacts, new event notifications are conveniently shown in the notification area of your chat windows, the uninstaller includes a Repair mode and is UAC friendly, etc… The sheer size of the Change Log alone should be enough to convince you that this is not a simple refresh of version 4.23.

Note: the software is still available in more than 20 languages, however, translation of the new web site’s pages will take another week or two to be completed. The web site itself is to be considered work-in-progress for some days. Translating from one language to another is a hard and time consuming job. All the translation teams did a tremendous job on the software already, I didn’t feel I could ask more from them before the software was released and people could enjoy the result of the efforts. The good news is that even more pages than before will be translated once the work is done.

That’s it for today. I hope you’ll all be pleased with the update. 22 million of you are now using Messenger Plus!. To me, that’s 22 million reasons to keep on working on it :-).

Enjoy!
Patchou

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 07:09 AM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-09-2007 07:08 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus! 4.50 is Live!
Thanks Patchou!  Everybody enjoy this release, theres been a lot of hard work put into it by the beta team and the skinners!   Not to mention, Patchou himself, of course ;).

Mirror: Download Here

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 07:24 AM by Dane.
12-09-2007 07:08 AM
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
Thanks! :banana:
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
12-09-2007 07:09 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Hot!

Direct Mirror: http://random.menthix.net/mpl_mirror/MsgPlusLive-450.exe
Skins DB: http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/
Digg: http://digg.com/software/Messenger_Plus_adds_skin..._to_Live_Messenger (yeah sorry, i just had to do it :p)

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 07:26 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
Mirror: http://web2live.org/mpl.html

AWESOME WORK TOO PATCHES! :D :D :D :D
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
Awesome release :cheesy:

Jumping on the mirror bandwagon. 8-)

http://dazzy.org/mpl/MsgPlusLive-450.exe

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 07:16 AM by Kenji.
12-09-2007 07:11 AM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
Top work as always Patch - the new site looks great too, very cool that you can change the colour of it!
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

12-09-2007 07:12 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
yay patchou!!!
12-09-2007 07:12 AM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
I've got it...IT'S MINE! MUAHAHAHA! Thanks btw :P:D
12-09-2007 07:13 AM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
Its really awesome. I'm glad that I could test it :D

Btw, I uploaded to Rapidshare is anyone needs a mirror http://rapidshare.com/files/75319715/MsgPlusLive-450.exe
12-09-2007 07:15 AM
Pages: (11): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: