What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » [Release] Ev0 3.1.6

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   [Release] Ev0 3.1.6
Author: Message:
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [Release] Ev0 3
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by Oxy

1) 9.0 is for beta testing (AFAIK it hasnt had a final release yet). No skins/add-ons should even be installed if you're beta testing. :/

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=80133

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy

2) A good skin is one that has good quality images, design, and layout. who cares if it doesnt work for 9.0? 8.5 is far more better than 9.0 is in terms of how stable it is. :undecided:
So you are saying that:
If there are 8 millions 8.5 Ev0 3 users in the world, that it is better those 8 millions and then some 9.0 Ev0 3 users in the world?

In this case more is better.

Maybe he doesn't want to support the leaked 9.0 BETA. Maybe he is still using 8.5 and believes that he cannot release a version for 9.0 until he know first hand that it will work as he intends. Maybe thats HIS ideology on BETA testing

This post was edited on 12-16-2007 at 10:51 PM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
12-16-2007 10:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Release] Ev0 3
lol :P

Ok here is my "ideology" on making skins for beta software:

Why don't I make skins for WLM Beta?

Simple, ever tried to run an 8.5 skin on 9.0?

What happens? It doesn't work.

why?

Because in every new beta Microsoft changes a whole bunch of stuff in UIFiles and resources which render the skin useless. This includes the layout of definitions, string numbers, element ID's and resource numbers.

When messenger is in beta, these things have a habit of changing on every build. So imagine if you just finish an update to a beta build and MS releases another. Yes you have to start again to update the skin to keep a very small group happy.

Another reason why and OFFICIAL beta testers will know this:

When beta testing something Microsoft does not recommend using 3rd party applications because they want their bugs to be as isolated as possible and not send them down the wrong path when trying to fix something.

That's my ideology. Its worked for me all these years as a skinner and I ain't gonna change it for someone who doesn't know any better :)

This post was edited on 12-16-2007 at 11:45 PM by Willz.
12-16-2007 11:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
davidpolitis

RE: RE: [Release] Ev0 3
quote:
No compatible 9.0 version = No no. A good skin is compatible with every version :)
Wake up... Nobody wants to update shit for you. Grow up. Now I know the true reason why your age is hidden :(

This post was edited on 12-16-2007 at 11:44 PM by davidpolitis.
12-16-2007 11:43 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Willz

Agreed. Glad other people understand

@riahc4 dude seriously stop being a tool. Tell you what, you try making a skin that is really complex for 8.5, then you try updating it for every new beta build that MS brings out.

Then you try dealing with people who don't know any better making nonconstructive comments. Then we'll see if you will be singing the same tune ;)

As a good programmer/designer/etc, then Yes, if the majority of people resquest it, then I will update my work.

If Joe Doe has version 9.5.9384 and he asks me to update it then depends on if its accually worth it or not. If it isnt, I will simply say that it is not the time right now and when a few more people have that version, I will update it too.

A great programmer recieves critics too (Looks at Patchou and the whole "Hate-Plus!-Because-It-Has-"Adware"" mafia...)
12-17-2007 12:07 AM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [Release] Ev0 3
quote:
quote:

Agreed. Glad other people understand

@riahc4 dude seriously stop being a tool. Tell you what, you try making a skin that is really complex for 8.5, then you try updating it for every new beta build that MS brings out.

Then you try dealing with people who don't know any better making nonconstructive comments. Then we'll see if you will be singing the same tune ;)

As a good programmer/designer/etc, then Yes, if the majority of people resquest it, then I will update my work.

If Joe Doe has version 9.5.9384 and he asks me to update it then depends on if its accually worth it or not. If it isnt, I will simply say that it is not the time right now and when a few more people have that version, I will update it too.

A great programmer recieves critics too (Looks at Patchou and the whole "Hate-Plus!-Because-It-Has-"Adware"" mafia...)

But the majority of people aren't asking for an update. By a majority i consider it to be more than 20 people out of the 34000+ that have downloaded my skin. (and yes only about 20 people have asked for a 9.0 version)

20/34000 = 0.05%

Your logic is stupid and there is no point in you posting in this thread if you are just going to irritate me further.

Plus I do this as a hobby, not an obligation. And pardon my language but FYI it is this kind of shit that skinners get pissed off at and makes them not release skins anymore.

This post was edited on 12-17-2007 at 12:25 AM by Willz.
12-17-2007 12:15 AM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
* MicroWay is one of the 34000+ that have downloaded the skin. :P:P haha....
quote:
if you are just going to irritate me further.
Willz, calm down.... Is not worth it... :)

quote:
I will simply say that it is not the time right now and when a few more people have that version, I will update it too.
And you think that will not be reliased a Evo for 9???? Maybe the people whop are requesting will need to wait for a while (when it's final reliased) but I doubt the skinning will sotp "here"....
And the most important: Willz and others developers are human, with lifes, work, family and not robots that will only code for a skin/script... :)
And Willz is right -> The process to make a skin like Evo is damn hard... (In my case, to make a stupid change that I'm still "fighting" with it, I get 2 or 3 days).... So it doesn't woth to make a skin for each beta release....

So... let's relax and let's get some (pi)
* MicroWay gets the (T) and is waiting for the people decision.... :P
12-17-2007 12:42 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
I'll have a spicy one with lots of spicy stuff and meat on it please (pi)

And yeah all Willz did for testing was skins, skins, skins, skins, skin.

It's mostly all i did this time around but even so Beaver and Steve still took me a long long time.
12-17-2007 12:48 AM
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
I'll have a spicy one with lots of spicy stuff and meat on it please
* MicroWay notes down... Anyone else?? :P:P

And I was trying to make some skin these days too.... :)

---------------------------
A little Sugestion for Evo, BUT ISN"T SO IMPORTANT -> The hability to Hide the Contact List Advertisement
;)
12-17-2007 12:57 AM
freak544

35 / Male / Flag
I will have a pepperoni one with extra pepperoni and some spicy chicken or something on it

Oh and this is a really nice skin if I haven't said it before

It must of took a really long time to prefect it

My skin I made took me a few hours to make
12-17-2007 01:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [Release] Ev0 3
quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay

A little Sugestion for Evo, BUT ISN"T SO IMPORTANT -> The hability to Hide the Contact List Advertisement
;)

Let me quote the official submission page:

"Skins that allow any of Messenger's advertisements to be hidden will not be accepted. Keep in mind that maintaining the Messenger network is neither free nor cheap for Microsoft. Advertisements are their main source of revenue, just like they are for us."

12-17-2007 01:08 AM
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: