What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Wrong Idle status

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Wrong Idle status
Author: Message:
novolo

L2Luna GM

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Wrong Idle status
Ok,  I'm using the new 9.0 BETA with the new 4.50 plus...

everything works fine but the first thing i noticed is that the idle status is wrong...

i have ppl in idle that talk to me and the status doesn't change..

I'm not sure if it is plus or the new messenger that differentiates from away and idle,   (i think its plus)   but its not working...

so far i have 3 ppl talking to me while being Idle...

the weird thing is not every "Away" user shows as idle,  i have some contacts in Away  and others in idle, so there's some differentiation but definitely something wrong, because it should change to away or online as soon as they start talking again

[Image: signature-user=247&back=4&clr=255,255,255&size=80.png][Image: novolo.gif]
12-09-2007 08:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Wrong Idle status
1) You should not use Windows Live Messenger 9 if you're not an official MS Butterfly

2) It has been stated that Messenger Plus! is not fully compatible with WLM9 yet, since things will change and people aren't supposed to use WLM9 either.

3) The Idle status is what it is, another status. So not everybody who is Away is actually Idle. It is just that the Idle status in Messenger has the same name as the Away status. But both are different statusses.
see How many Idle statuses does WL Messenger have?

3b) The only thing that Plus! does in regards to this is changing the resource string of the idle status from "Away" to "Idle", so that there is a visual difference between people who have the away status (shown as "Away") and people who have the Idle status (now shown as "Idle"). That's all. So any misbehaviour of idle statusses vs. away statusses is Messenger's own doing.

4) Since Idle is just a status like any other status, you can set yourself to Idle with some tricks. That doesn't mean:
       a) You can't talk anymore to your contacts
       b) The Idle status is automatically reset back

Conclussions:
    Don't use WLM9 if you're not an official beta tester.
    There is no bug at all concearning this, it all works as it should.

This post was edited on 12-09-2007 at 08:39 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-09-2007 08:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
novolo

L2Luna GM

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Wrong Idle status
i am an official beta tester,  and im just letting u know of a possible bug,  nothing else...

i know it is a beta and not all functions are bound to function correctly but its good to know if something is not working right...

cya
[Image: signature-user=247&back=4&clr=255,255,255&size=80.png][Image: novolo.gif]
12-09-2007 08:33 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
I agree with Cookie... but... I think the beta is open to people other than WL Butterflies now :).

Either that or I'm a butterfly 8-).
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
12-09-2007 11:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
novolo

L2Luna GM

– / Male / Flag
why does everybody think no one can be a butterfly...

i talk about a possible bug with a beta  and the conversation turns mainly to "if your not an official beta tester you shouldnt be using 9.0 beta"

i am an official beta tester but it doesnt matter now since mcirosoft is not restricting acces only to those registered beta testers...

anyways i came online just to inform who cares that the ones with the idle status were actually using that script mentioned..  so its no bug at all...

cya
12-11-2007 12:44 PM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by novolo
i am an official beta tester but it doesnt matter now since mcirosoft is not restricting acces only to those registered beta testers...

Since when? :undecided:
And besides, this thread hasnt turned into a flaming thread, or a beta tester thread. Cookie was just saying that if you're using plus, you shouldn't be using it on 9.0, since it can cause these confusions over bugs and you could possibly send wrong details to microsoft. Andrewdodd13 was just stating to cookie that the beta isnt just for butterflies now, but for registered beta testers too.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
12-11-2007 02:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
novolo

L2Luna GM

– / Male / Flag
then my bad,  sorry

maybe im on a bad day and read everything with an angry inner voice  :P
12-11-2007 02:59 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
Hey guys, Novolo didn't do anything wrong. People know Plus isn't supported and can work wrong with WLM 9, and we should only give them the stick (:P) if they come and insult Patchou for not making it work right. But Novolo came and posted a potential bug that should matter even if it's related to WLM9, because Patchou will have to release a version for that WLM in the short term.

If Patchou already knows about this and will fix it before releasing a WLM9-compatible update (or is a WLM bug), good, no harm was done. But only Patchou knows if a bug report is useful to him or not, don't hurry to conclude that "there is no bug, move on, and uninstall WLM9 in the meantime".

And please read all this in a friendly, wishingly-helpful tone :) - Cookie, your response was helpful and informative, but could be received as a bit harsh because you didn't put much focus in the bug the person was reporting.

Back to the bug itself, I agree with novolo it's strange. It'd be hard for 3 people in his list to be using the trick to stay as Idle, and perhaps something is wrong with Plus freezing the contact's displayed status on either end. I don't see any obvious "no bug" red light here.
12-13-2007 03:43 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I hear you, but I only pointed out dry facts as far as I know them, without accusing anybody of something. Nobody accused anybody for that matter...

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Cookie, your response was helpful and informative, but could be received as a bit harsh because you didn't put much focus in the bug the person was reporting.
focus? what more focus is there to give then to say that this is not a bug (afaik)??. I even pointed out how people set their status to idle and still be able to talk....

I think it is more a case of "It could be received as a bit harsh because you didn't put an emoticon like ;) or :p" in it... And that is exactly what is often wrong these days. If you don't put a stupid emoticon in a text you are suddenly being 'harsh'.

sorry (for being harsh in this post)

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 08:12 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-13-2007 08:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
Hmm, don't want to go offtopic too much (sorry about it), but:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
focus? what more focus is there to give then to say that this is not a bug (afaik)??. I even pointed out how people set their status to idle and still be able to talk....

I think it is more a case of "It could be received as a bit harsh because you didn't put an emoticon like ;) or :p" in it... And that is exactly what is often wrong these days. If you don't put a stupid emoticon in a text you are suddenly being 'harsh'.
I think it's more a case of you not including that "AFAIK" in your original response, just saying it as the definitive truth, and listing all the dry facts in a numbered list, starting with something not concerning the bug the person was reporting (and assuming he wasn't a butterfly), and concluding with:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Conclussions:
    Don't use WLM9 if you're not an official beta tester.
    There is no bug at all concearning this, it all works as it should.
Though I know what you mean regarding emoticons (and it is indeed a problem of our time), I think one can be more welcoming even without using them.

But hey, it's just my opinion, and the poster wasn't offended, so it's probably all good.

This post was edited on 12-13-2007 at 03:28 PM by Guido.
12-13-2007 03:26 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: