What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Australia

Pages: (10): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] Last »
Poll: Is Australia The Best Country?
Yes, its great i love it
No.... there are places much better
Dont know anything about it....
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
5 votes - 3.4 average   Australia
Author: Message:
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
RE: Australia
quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by haydos
I am sorry it happened
That is the whole idea.  Sorry that it happened and a committment that he would not do the same and pledge that he would try to embrace aboriginal culture more for the benifit of maintaining the heritage.
It's not the same thing. Just because I'm not pleased that it happens doesn't mean that I feel they are deserving of an apology from me or anyone from this generation. The context of the word sorry is very important.

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
All they have done is remove choice from workers.
Not really. I don't know of a lot of cases where the employee would be in much of a negotiating position upon entering a job (ie when the contract would be signed). It's still the same with AWAs you have the alternative to go elsewhere. If people are taking up the jobs then it can't be all that bad. You'll notice that since AWAs have been introduced the amount of jobs in Australia has risen, which personally I think is a success for the implementation of the legislation.

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Also i like your forum nick ;). Do you watch much cricket :P?
I live cricket pretty much, but the forum nick comes from my actual name not Matthew Hayden as I think you're suggesting :tongue:

This post was edited on 01-01-2008 at 11:26 AM by haydos.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

01-01-2008 11:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: Australia
quote:
It's still the same with AWAs you have the alternative to go elsewhere.

Not really. Jobs are not a commodity market. I can't just go and pick one up with the features I want. You take what you are offered, usually.

quote:
If people are taking up the jobs then it can't be all that bad.

Yes it can. It means that people need more money than they are getting these days.

quote:
You'll notice that since AWAs have been introduced the amount of jobs in Australia has risen, which personally I think is a success for the implementation of the legislation.

I agree. The new IR laws are an attempt to strengthen the economy, of course. It works like this:

employer gets employees on AWAs, with less net pay per year.
=> company can hire more employees on the same cash or the same number of employees for less.
=> profits go up.
=> the company has more money to invest locally.
=> the company does invest locally.
=> country profits.

I do believe that, while the fourth implication is very weak, the new IR laws will strengthen the economy overall [better than, say, dropping the minimum wage and the dole so as to compete with third world countries in the labor market]. I just don't feel that what we will gain is worth what we have lost. I'd rather a slightly weaker economy, relatively speaking, with wonderful things like guaranteed awards and a competitive Job market, than a higher GDP with cheaper labor over all.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
01-02-2008 03:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Some Labor slogan

we are a country not just an economy

so I agree with verte

This post was edited on 01-02-2008 at 12:09 PM by Jarrod.

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

01-02-2008 12:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Go here http://msgplusville.myminicity.com/ to build the new msgplus city in australia :P
01-03-2008 06:52 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
I'd rather a slightly weaker economy, relatively speaking, with wonderful things like guaranteed awards and a competitive Job market, than a higher GDP with cheaper labor over all.
Perhaps you do, but I'm sure all the people which were previously unable to find a job think otherwise...
01-03-2008 10:24 AM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I'd rather a slightly weaker economy, relatively speaking, with wonderful things like guaranteed awards and a competitive Job market, than a higher GDP with cheaper labor over all.

A weaker economy would likely have a snowball effect that would end up being a burden to the benefits you pointed out. If you are willing to bust your ass and make an effort, you can get the income that you deserve. Good employers will understand they have to pay fair rates to get good employees.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

01-03-2008 05:16 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
Perhaps you do, but I'm sure all the people which were previously unable to find a job think otherwise...
The whole 0.2% of the labour market?  We were basically at full employment anyway and the little bit extra is pointless realistically.  We have more jobs avaliable than people looking for them, just people dont want to move to the mining areas for some stupid reason.  This peice of legislation was put in at the wrong time, it was better suited for 1987 rather than 2007....

I also believe everything that Verte said, and I dont think we should realistically increase profit lines for businesses further and further, that is one of our big causes of inflation (and then realistically, that needs tighter taxation and modification of other legistlation rather than higher interest rates so as to combat the supply-pull rather than the cost-push mitigating measures they are using).
[Image: markee.png]
01-05-2008 01:31 PM
Pages: (10): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: