What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Do you think I have a case?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Do you think I have a case?
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Do you think I have a case?
I'm just asking for your general advice in this situation.

First a bit of background, with my bank account, if a direct debit (an agreement with a company to take money out of my bank account automatically without me authorising it, for things like phone bills and stuff) doesn't go through because I don't have enough money in my bank account, I get charged £35.

My phone bill came in at £55, and I didn't have enough money to pay through that bank account, so I used a debit card from another bank account to pay it with. The money was charged and everything was cool.

Then, a week later, I get a letter saying that my phone network tried to charge me £55, but it failed and so they are going to charge me £35.

So even though I paid the network, they still tried to charge me (which could be an honest mistake, since direct debits can take a few days to go through).

Do you that my mobile phone network should pay me back the £35 I got charged? At least in the form of credit on my next bill.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
12-28-2007 03:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Do you think I have a case?
yes
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
12-28-2007 03:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Well, you did have a compromise to have the money every month.. And while it's understandable that you payed by other means, if such 35£ fee exists, I don't believe you can do much about it, honestly. They'll bitch you endlessly.

This post was edited on 12-28-2007 at 04:00 PM by Jhrono.
The world is yours
12-28-2007 03:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
Do the bank charge you or the phone company?

If the bank that's very steep, and usually you get some charge + whatever you owe if you don't have an overdraft set up.

If the phone company that's still a pretty high charge and not really acceptable if you managed to pay them in reasonable time.

I don't know if arguing about it will eventually be worth the time, I was getting taxed for a few years but if I went through the hours of paperwork and  phone calls I'd've only got about £25 back if that, it wasn't worth my time in the end.
12-28-2007 04:39 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Do you think I have a case?
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Do the bank charge you or the phone company?

quote:
If the bank that's very steep, and usually you get some charge + whatever you owe if you don't have an overdraft set up.

I don't have an overdraft on this particular bank account, I believe that they will only take £35 out, as the £55 has already been paid, so they shouldn't charge me again. But if they do, i'll be pissed.

quote:
I don't know if arguing about it will eventually be worth the time, I was getting taxed for a few years but if I went through the hours of paperwork and  phone calls I'd've only got about £25 back if that, it wasn't worth my time in the end.

I'm not really going to do much, i'll just phone them up, if they say no, it wont be worth going to court or anything, but I might right into consumerist.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
12-28-2007 06:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
I went over once, I don't have an overdraft on my current account, but I paid it back within a week or so and never had any charges.
12-28-2007 10:51 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
I've worked a little in accounts so I know a LITTLE on DD's. When was the DD due date, and when did you pay the phone company? Plus, did you inform your own bank to cancel this month's DD?
12-30-2007 04:42 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Technically (legally) probably not as really the fault and responsibility lies on you, but you never know they might feel for you!
Segosa is newb.
12-30-2007 06:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
It all depends on the two questions I asked him before, trust me.
12-30-2007 08:07 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
It's still not very clear to me who charges here, the bank or Mobile Phone network.

If you have an agreement with your bank that the bank will charge you £35 if you don't have enough money in your account at the time a direct debit is issued then you have no ground to stand on whatsoever. Not towards the bank and especially not towards the Mobile Phone network as they are not to blame for you not having enough money in your account at the time they charge.

I don't know if such is custom in the UK for banks to do but overhere the bill just won't get payed and that's it (unless you are allowed to have an overdraft)..your on your own to pay your bill. Only your Mobile Phone company can ask to withdraw again (the bank does not pay automaticly as soon as you do have enough money in). I would look for another bank to be honest.

This post was edited on 12-30-2007 at 12:29 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
12-30-2007 12:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: