What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Are Winters Getting Worse?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Are Winters Getting Worse?
Author: Message:
lethalreality9

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Are Winters Getting Worse?
I'm just wondering if you think that winters are getting worse then what they use to be? For me, I think they are. For example, in December we (Newfoundland, Canada) has about 6 snow storms, 3 of which were major and we got almost 30 cm of snow. 1 of those storms also knocked out power for almost a week. 4 of those storms occured in only 6 days! We had storm after another after another. It was crazy. We had a storm last night and we are expecting another tomorrow and another on Wednesday and yet another on Friday. It is crazy.

This post was edited on 12-30-2007 at 04:02 PM by lethalreality9.
12-30-2007 03:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Are Winters Getting Worse?
I think the opposite... when I was little, we used to have plenty of snow in the beginning of December, but now it's almost January and there still isn't any snow, and it's been like this for the last 2-3 years.
[Image: signature.php]
12-30-2007 04:11 PM
Aeryn

– / Female / –
I think they're getting more abnormal, not necessarily "worse". In Estonia (Northern Europe) the winters used to have steady periods of snow, but on the more recent years it fluctuates a lot between snow and mud/rain. As a result, I'd say most of the winter is extremely unpleasant, all wet and slushy.

This post was edited on 12-30-2007 at 04:14 PM by Aeryn.
12-30-2007 04:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
EBFL

;o

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
I think the opposite... when I was little, we used to have plenty of snow in the beginning of December, but now it's almost January and there still isn't any snow, and it's been like this for the last 2-3 years.
I agree with that.

This post was edited on 12-30-2007 at 04:16 PM by EBFL.
I'm awesome

12-30-2007 04:14 PM
duck!

– / Male / Flag
well in February we had a few snow storms, school was out for like an entire 2 days :banana:, but so far we've had no snow, the dodgy weather forecasters said there would be snow, but there wasn't, maybe in February again,  we'll have some snow :cheesy:
QUACK QUACK QUACK

12-30-2007 04:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Here in the Netherlands we had the warmest winter ever last year, this one is looking to be close to the record too.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-30-2007 04:18 PM
lethalreality9

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Are Winters Getting Worse?
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku

That was like that here for a while, but last year and this year we've been getting storms in early December.
12-30-2007 04:31 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It highly depends on the area you live in.

Moreover, people tend to forget bad stuff too. So a severe storm now may seem bad, but it may not be worse than the one last year.

Both these elements make that people experience change in the weather.

------------

Anyways, on a global scale, yes, the weather changes and gets more 'extreme'; hot summers get hotter (or milder depending on where you live) and cold winters get colder (or milder depending on where you live). And/or weather patterns shift to different areas; where it once never rained, you see big downpoors, or vice versa.

For example, it might be that Canada gets more severe winters in the last couple of years, but in Europe the winters are milder than ever.

I can remember from my childhood that we had massive amounts of snow (I still have pictures too) in December/Januari, it has been more than a decade since it snowed like that here and usually the winter doesn't get colder than cold autumns. Hell, temperatures of 20°C during the day in the winter aren't rare either. A bit of snow and cold in late Februari/March, or almost in spring, isn't an exception anymore.

The climate here at the Northsea has definatly changed for sure. It is turning into a French Rivièra so to speak. North-Euopeans stays more at home during the holidays then going to the warmer South-Europe regions because it gets warmer here.

This post was edited on 12-30-2007 at 04:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-30-2007 04:32 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
No snow yet in England, like always. Maybe in January or February, but nothing much. Not getting worse here.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-30-2007 04:43 PM
Vazza

– / Female / –
The problem I've seen in Scotland this winter is that it's been really mild (and when I say that, I've been going out wearing only a light fleece) and then suddenly we've been getting cold snaps(complete with ice). The change is being so sudden that no one quite what to do. Then of course you have the elderly who fall and break their hips etc etc etc.

Prediction is another sudden cold snap end January in to Feburary or end of Feburary into March
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7237 days, 7 hours, 30 minutes, 3 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
01-02-2008 12:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: