What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Looking for assistance installung Ubuntu

Looking for assistance installung Ubuntu
Author: Message:
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. Looking for assistance installung Ubuntu
Now, this should be a simple task, but I'm trying to make things difficult. Basically, I'm trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 on an external USB drive, so that it can be booted in both VMware and as a native boot. Within VMware, I'm using the entire physical disk, and set it to SCSI (0,1) and added another dummy IDE drive, to emulate my internal disk when natively booting.

Well, I'm able to install just fine from either location (VMware or CD) but I keep getting GRUB errors when trying to load in the opposite location (usually Error 17, also Error 18 once[boot partition too high in the drive, fixed]). Also seeing a lot of Error 5: Partition table invalid or corrupt

Can anyone help me achieve this?

This post was edited on 01-09-2008 at 04:52 AM by MeEtc.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
01-09-2008 04:40 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: Invalid device requested
Which GRUB stage fails?

And could you please explain the dummy IDE drive a bit more?

In the native boot, are you setting your USB drive bootable, or using GRUB on your internal disk to select it?

PS, do you make sure your USB drive is unmounted before trying to boot from it in VMWare?

This post was edited on 01-12-2008 at 05:55 AM by Verte.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
01-12-2008 05:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Looking for assistance installung Ubuntu
ok, a bit of an update. I have it working now. I had to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
the root line i changed from hd1,1 to hd0,1 and it boots fine in both locations now. I just have to copy over the correct xorg.conf now in order for the window manager to show correctly (and reconfigure VMware Tools)
the only difficulty i'm having now, is that when i'm running VMware as a non-privileged user, it says it can't find the virtual disk file (.vmdk) i browse for it, and it keeps saying the same thing. I think its a limitation of VMware itself now.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
01-12-2008 06:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: