What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Buying a laptop

Buying a laptop
Author: Message:
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. Buying a laptop
I'm going to start saving up to buy a laptop, I don't want anything to play games on as I have a 360 to do that, I just need one for university. Now what I really don't want is some crappy Acer Intel Celeron laptop with only 80Gb worth of hard drive space, but I also don't want to spend over £450 on the thing. My computer is completely obsolete now as the graphics card has burnt out, pretty much leaving me with a Mac.

I'd like at least 1gb of RAM, 120Gb Hard Drive, Intel Core Duo processor, Windows XP Professional or Vista Home Premium, WiFi enabled obviously, decent speakers, 15" screen up and last but not least, at least 128mb of dedicated graphics memory.

I've been searching around and have found these:
HP Media Center G6033EA Notebook
Toshiba SatP A200-1MV T2330

They're pretty much ideal for what I need, but I was wondering if anybody else has any suggestions, I haven't came here for the usual "Just save up some more and get a good one", I want some advice to my specifications that is useful, didn't know where else to go and I know that you guys on this board know what you're talking about.

(ps, I don't want a mac)
01-24-2008 10:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Buying a laptop
Where are you going to uni?

Basically, once you're at uni, you wont really need any sort of decent specs at all. I'd reccomend getting an eePC, they're really cheap, plus because they're so light and easy to carry it basically adds a new paridigm to your life. You can take it pretty much anywhere, just toss it in your bag and your done.

You can do all your work on it, go on the internet, and you can even install Windows XP on it if you really want.

Plus with the remaining money in your budget, if you really wanted to, you could buy a bigger screen to plug it into back home so you can use it more effectively.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
01-24-2008 10:27 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: Buying a laptop
That's the thing though, I'm still carrying on with website design whilst at university (not as a course, just freelance) and I love music so I couldn't go without. Hence the above specifications are what I really need.
01-24-2008 10:58 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Buying a laptop
And a sub £450 MacBook? I can see why he doesn't want one.

I have a HP Pavillion dv6330ea, it's got slightly better specs compared to that one (and it was a Core Duo), but it was a bit dearer - but I bought it a while back. I would thoroughly recommend it, very good piece of kit.

As an alternative this looks pretty good as well, for the price. If you're after storage with it though, you might want to invest in an external hard drive, like a 500GB one or something. (I know its a bit of a loaf to carry around, but I have one, and it's well worth it.)
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
01-25-2008 02:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: