What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » avast! Antivirus

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
avast! Antivirus
Author: Message:
special_edition200

50 / Female / Flag
O.P. avast! Antivirus
do you think avast! Antivirus is a good Antivirus or do you think i should change it to a better one...... also does windows firewall do the trick or do you need somethink else..... can anyone tell me of any good software i can buy to keep my pc safe and clean

right now i have

avast! Antivirus
Spybot - Search & Destroy
CCleaner
Registry Mechanic
windows firewall

what should i keep and what should i delete and what should i get? i am running window xp and have 500 pound to keep me safe and clean.
01-28-2008 09:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: avast! Antivirus
Besides Registry Mechanic, tat's the combination i use. It's great for me but to each is own. Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion for you.
01-28-2008 10:09 PM
special_edition200

50 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: avast! Antivirus
ok ty....... i will see what other people say as well but ty
01-28-2008 10:11 PM
s7a5
Veteran Member

I use Kaspersky and i'm pretty happy. First of all, I always wanted an AV that can be completely shut down whenever I want and save some resources when i run some hungry cpu apps. Honestly, it doesnt use much resources anyways, but to me it's crucial. Another thing is that it performs quite well and has a high detection rate, and has the ability to scan compressed files. I never used Avast, so i donno, i'm sure u can find some online reviews about this piece of soft.
01-29-2008 07:06 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=80871&pid=881414#pid881414
Symantecs Award Winning Norton AntiVirus 2008 has recently also received the VB100 award.  It is also rated to be 64% FASTER than the competition, and 84% faster than Norton AntiVirus 2007.  It now has a little memory footprint (Rated at 9MB) compared to the days when everyone hated it for using a ton of memory, unfortunately everyone who bashes it usually hasnt tried the newer versions.  Norton products now come with a 60 day Money Back Guarantee, that is, if it isnt as fast as you'd like it to be, return it and get your money back.  I personally use Norton Internet Security 2008 and I love it, and their response times to new viruses are wonderful.  You can check out Norton AntiVirus 2008 here.  For the All-in-One Norton Internet Security 2008, click here.

I still stand by this recent post I made regarding Internet Security Software.  It includes AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware (Joke Programs, CrimeWare, etc.), Firewall Protection, Phishing Protection, and more.  Also, it should be noted if you remove the phishing protection toolbar from IE, the phishing protection remains active with Norton 2008 Products, providing continous protection.

This post was edited on 01-29-2008 at 07:29 AM by Dane.
01-29-2008 07:27 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
I use McAfee Virus Enterprise 7.10 Im pretty happy with it and it detects every thing (up till now...).  I dont pay for it either cus it runs off a university server lol
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
01-29-2008 08:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
I swear by avast & it's awesome boot scanning abilities

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

01-29-2008 11:22 AM
Shayne

~Woot~

34 / Male / Flag
I also swear by Avast. I use it both on Windows and on Linux
[Image: 223322ab1.jpg]
01-29-2008 04:51 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
I still stand by this recent post I made regarding Internet Security Software.
Run. Run now. Search anywhere on the Internet, and you will see how much that is bullshit. Sure, Norton does provide all of that, but the problems it brings with it far outweigh the benefits. The biggest problem is the footprint it places on your computer. It uses way too much for resources, and does not find some things, and gives false positives for other things (*cough* Messenger Plus *cough*).

I personally have used AVG for many years without problem. And it can be turned off without difficulty, unlike other products. It can also be uninstalled, and its free. Also unlike some other products. Right now all I use is AVG and the Windows firewall. I haven't had the need for anything else.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
01-29-2008 05:47 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: avast! Antivirus
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
I still stand by this recent post I made regarding Internet Security Software.
Run. Run now. Search anywhere on the Internet, and you will see how much that is bullshit. Sure, Norton does provide all of that, but the problems it brings with it far outweigh the benefits. The biggest problem is the footprint it places on your computer. It uses way too much for resources, and does not find some things, and gives false positives for other things (*cough* Messenger Plus *cough*).

I personally have used AVG for many years without problem. And it can be turned off without difficulty, unlike other products. It can also be uninstalled, and its free. Also unlike some other products. Right now all I use is AVG and the Windows firewall. I haven't had the need for anything else.

Seconded on all acounts.

I work doing IT support for my hall at Uni and half the problems I encounter are due to Norton.....and the damn thing takes ages to uninstall.....it's more like a virus than a piece of helpful software!
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5212 days, 11 hours, 12 minutes, 5 seconds ago
01-29-2008 11:02 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: