What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Ram Queery

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Ram Queery
Author: Message:
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Ram Queery
quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
quote:
quote:
yes most likely it will be a virtual machine (Smilie)

well if XP can only see 3.23GB, and the virtual machine is running under XP...
ok i understand now
but if i install linux as an actual operating system then what?

err, what do you think?
im guessing that it uses the left over but i was asking for confirmation

why would it use the left over if windows *isn't running*?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-05-2008 10:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Ram Queery
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
how can you run XP and linux at the same time? to do this, you need to use 2 different computers. thats it you cant do it in the single machine

Virtual Machines let you run 2 operating systems at the same time.

quote:
why would it use the left over if windows *isn't running*?
ok if i got a 64bit operating system, what is the max amount of ram for that?

Can i put a virtual machine on my portable hard drive or will that not work because of the ram issue?
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
02-05-2008 11:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
ok if i got a 64bit operating system, what is the max amount of ram for that?

16 exabytes.

quote:
Can i put a virtual machine on my portable hard drive or will that not work because of the ram issue?

what ram issue?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-05-2008 12:53 PM
Verte

quote:
Ok if my new computer has got 4gb of ram (2x2g) in dual channel mode, (keep in mind i have 32bit main OS) since my OS only reads 3.23 gb of my ram can i use the rest of that memory for linux?

Do you have a 64 bit CPU? If you do, you might be able to use all 4 GB. The reason you can't with a 32 bit CPU is that those 32 bits can only address 4 GB of total ram- and some of the ram that needs to be addressed is video ram. Many hardware devices have a little ram (or pretend to), and if it is 'mapped' by the operating system, which allows for fast data transfer, and userspace drivers, that eats away at the 4 GB total. so the 3.23 GB is what is left after mapped I/O regions are taken out of the 32-bit address space.

a 64 bit CPU has a much larger address space, but to take advantage of this, the CPU needs to be in 64 bit mode. Running a 64 bit operating system will give you access to all of your ram. However, running a 64 bit operating system *in a VM* will not. You could do it the other way, and run MS Windows in a VM. If you've got a CPU with virtualisation instructions, you can do this with Xen. Just make sure your copy of Xen is compiled for your architecture.

ShawnZ: actually, x86-64 only supports address spaces up to 512 Terabytes, as only 48 bits are relevant, but they have room to fix that.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
02-05-2008 03:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Won't make any difference. Your 32bit Windows XP just can't handle more RAM, no matter what you do with it, it won't get past that limit. Either install a 64bit OS (if you have a 64bits CPU), or take the unused RAM out and put it in another machine.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-05-2008 05:27 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Some operating systems use PAE to enable 64Gbit RAM access on 32-bit systems, for compatibility reasons however this is disabled on normal windows versions. It works on servers versions and linux from kernel version 2.6
[Image: 1-0.png]

02-05-2008 05:59 PM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Won't make any difference. Your 32bit Windows XP just can't handle more RAM, no matter what you do with it, it won't get past that limit. Either install a 64bit OS (if you have a 64bits CPU), or take the unused RAM out and put it in another machine.
i was actually thinking of just putting the VM on my portable hard drive (so i can take it anywhere), but i was wondering since i devote a part of my ram to the VM what happens (to the ram) when i run the vm on another computer or what happens (to the ram devoted to linux) when i stop running the vm and disconnect the drive.

Also if i delete all files of the VM, will this delete the whole vm or are there other little files like in registry or something. because if i devoted 512mb ram to linux and thought it wasnt working im guessing i can just delete linux to get everything including the ram and hd space back

This post was edited on 02-05-2008 at 08:39 PM by Th3rmal.
02-05-2008 08:38 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
even with a virtual machine, it uses the same ram as what XP will be using!!!!!!!!

the only way you can have ram dedicated to linux, is to install it on a different computer, not a portable HDD, it has to have its own ram, own cpu, ect.

and having a VM doesnt mean you are "running" 2 OS, you have one OS running another OS virtually ;)
02-05-2008 08:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
the only way you can have ram dedicated to linux, is to install it on a different computer, not a portable HDD
It doesn't have to be another computer, you can always dual-boot.

Also, you could install linux on the portable HDD, make it bootable, and boot from the portable HDD whenever you want to run linux on any computer (including a virtual machine).
Note that the linux distribution on the portable HDD will have to support the target PC's CPU architecture and hardware, eg. a x86-64 linux distribution will not run on a regular 32bit CPU.

Both methods I mentioned here (dual-boot and install to portable HDD) do not necessarily require a virtual machine, however you could use a virtual machine to install the linux distro to the portable HDD by pointing it (the virtual machine) to use a physical HDD instead of a virtual HDD file.
Both methods will also use all of the available RAM (if configured correctly with PAE as Ezra mentioned), except when the portable HDD is booted inside a virtual machine under a windows installation which does not use all of the available RAM.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
02-05-2008 09:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
hmmm ok.
Is there anyway to make PAE work on xp or vista (not server edition).
02-06-2008 02:52 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: