What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [URGENT] my pc blew up?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
[URGENT] my pc blew up?
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up?
Whoah, hold your horses.

The cpu, wouldn't and shouldn't stop everything else powering up. I very much doubt its the CPU.

It sounds like its the PSU.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

02-20-2008 12:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
roflmao456
Skinning Contest Winner

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up?
but when i turn off the main switch i hear the mobo turn off so it cant be the psu
[quote]
Ultimatess6
: What a noob mod
02-20-2008 01:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
get a voltmeter on a molex connector and check if it's working?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
02-20-2008 02:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
it can still be the PSU, every PSU has more than one output voltage, so it could be that one of them died. I'd try one from another PC before running to the store to get new parts. Actually, I would recommend not to buy any new parts until you're sure it will solve your problem.

The fact that your CPU fan turns a little after turning the PC on does not necessarily point to a faulty CPU in any way. The CPU fan is connected to your mainboard, not to the CPU. In fact, if I cold-boot my pc, the CPU fan also spins only a little before stopping again (smart fan control by the bios, temperature controlled) so that could even be normal behaviour.
How about your PSU fan, is that one spinning? (although that one could be temperature controlled too)

Anyway, if a PSU from another PC does not solve your problem, try removing as much of the hardware as possible (eg. use only one memory bank(try all slots and banks), use onboard vga (if available) and remove the AGP/PCIe card, remove extra pci cards, hdds and cd/dvd/floppy drives, unplug usb devices (except mouse and keyboard ofcourse:P), etc.) and see if it works.
If it does, put the hardware back one piece at a time until you identify the culprit.
If it still does not work, try borrowing parts until you find out what's causing the problem. If you can't borrow the parts it might be better to return it to the shop rather than buying new parts without knowing if they will solve your problem (unless you planned on buying them anyway)

Bit off-topic, my sisters pc wouldn't boot yesterday. No beeps, no errors, monitor displayed "signal cable not connected" message only when the pc was turned on, only the fans would start spinning (no smart fan control :P), turned out my dad forgot to plug in the 4-pin atx 12V connector after switching her PSU :P
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
02-20-2008 02:34 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up?
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
stuff
Fuse..? Never seen a fuse near my computer. Also the CMOS battery just has that little bit of power so it can load your settings each time you boot. The computer should still work without the battery (I know for a fact they do in newer computers) and even if it was the battery the computer should still beep indicating the problem.

It looks like the PSU is tripping every time you turn the PC on. Go grab another one and try it. If you don't know what you are doing then just take it to someone that does know what they are doing.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
02-20-2008 09:33 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
All the CMOS battery does, is powers the little bios chip to stop it from dying (am i right?)

02-20-2008 03:40 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
All the CMOS battery does, is powers the little bios chip to stop it from dying (am i right?)
depends on what you mean by "dying"

If the battery is removed or empty, all bios settings in the CMOS are lost. You'll probably notice this first by looking at your clock, because the hardware clock will start from 0:00 every time you boot.
At least that's how it used to be in earlier days ;)
Modern PCs often have a 5V standby voltage, which can also power the CMOS, so as long as they are plugged in and the PSU is switched on, they will keep their settings, even without a CMOS battery. (I use this 5v standby voltage to charge my phone through USB while my pc is turned off)
The PC will function, regardless of the amount of energy left in the CMOS battery.

edit: On topic :P: roflmao, to be able to test all pins on you power supply, take a look at this article for info on how to "power it on" without having it plugged in your mainboard (I destroyed my mainboard once while trying to measure the PSU while it was still attached to my mainboard... spark, poof :S)

This post was edited on 02-20-2008 at 04:06 PM by Jesus.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
02-20-2008 03:55 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Yeah thats it. To stop the BIOS from losing its memory

02-20-2008 03:58 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Fuse..? Never seen a fuse near my computer.
The plug that you use to plug in your computer will have a fuse in. If I'm not mistaken the power supply in your pc should be fused as well.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
02-21-2008 09:27 AM
roflmao456
Skinning Contest Winner

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up?
so my solution is a new psu then?
[quote]
Ultimatess6
: What a noob mod
02-23-2008 04:08 AM