What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Theory on making messages infinite length

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Theory on making messages infinite length
Author: Message:
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: Theory on making messages infinite length
I think this could be used too easily for flooding....usually SP3's 5000 characters are enough for articles and code *-)

This post was edited on 02-20-2008 at 09:22 PM by deAd.
02-20-2008 09:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
sure thing. That's something I wanted to do a long time ago but then decided otherwise to prevent flooding. 1100 characters is already a lot for a message... in what occasion would you want to send more? (I need to be convinced this is for the greater good :p)

To be completely honest, I think it'd help a lot of students who help each other with essays, research, etc etc over messenger. I know quite a few people who do it in highschool and college around here both. I'd personally would love if I could simply copy and past it rather than sending it. Would save time.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
02-20-2008 10:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
well, the problem is that if you want to send a lot of text, even if the message gets split-up, you'll get "Contact says:" in the middle several times which would be annoying.

Here is an idea: what would you think if Plus! simply detected you're trying to past more than the maximum amount of characters allowed and automatically send it as a text file to your contact? this could be used as some kind of enhanced-paste feature and be extended for example to paste pictures, html pages, etc... ?
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-21-2008 03:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
That would be even better IMO for the reason you mentioned already ;)
I'd sure like to see that in a future release, especially when images will be supported too. (lol screenshot sender sort of partially included in plus!)
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
02-21-2008 03:59 AM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
That's one very nice idea, Patchou! :)
Add an option to do it automatically, give us some setting to change the text file's name (eventually with some tags for date or number) or a window which lets us specify the name and you have an awesome feature! :D
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
02-21-2008 04:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Theory on making messages infinite length
Or even maybe, it could detect if the other user has plus, and if it does send them as split messages and then msgplus on the other end, recode it so its in one message?

Is it possible
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

02-21-2008 06:18 PM
ArkaneArkade

The One and Only

38 / Male / Flag
I don't think theres any real way to detect if a contact is using Plus! except by sending a ping request, which means you'd need to wait for a response before deciding whether to split the message or tell you its over the limit.  I'm also not too sure how much control Plus actually has over the "Contact says" and it might be extra hassle for Patchou!

Besides I think the text file idea sounds absolutely great.  Perhaps a similar idea could also be used for files - if you try to send a file and it's of a dodgy extension (I get it frequently despite disabling all the options) maybe it could automatically rename it to (and from on other end)  Filename.ext.pluszip or something to make it acceptable.
[Image: adsig.jpg]
02-22-2008 02:18 AM
kaourika

34 / Female / –
RE: RE: Theory on making messages infinite length
quote:
1100 characters is already a lot for a message... in what occasion would you want to send more?
Hah! Typical male response. Chicks can find plenty of reasons to be so verbose *grins* :D

Pretty much all of my friends enjoy writing as a hobby, as do tons of others in the "creative young adult" type demographic (think Livejournal and DeviantArt kinda people). Predictably, the text limit makes sharing stories frustrating. You're copying chunks from Word or whatever several paragraphs at a time, and it's impossible to judge where your writing is going to get cropped mid-sentance. It turns a would-be simple ctrl+c, ctrl+p affair into an editorial process. DX

Also, as already mentioned, sending bits of articles and code. In my own experience, both of these things have been frustrated by the text limit before.

In essence, I really do think that the legitimate reasons one might be sharing large chunks of text FAR outweigh instances of flooding.  Every single one of my contacts has been been stymied at some point or another by the text limit while talking with me. Conversely, I've never had a problem with flooding -- and if I did? the block button is right there.

quote:
well, the problem is that if you want to send a lot of text, even if the message gets split-up, you'll get "Contact says:" in the middle several times which would be annoying.

Here is an idea: what would you think if Plus! simply detected you're trying to past more than the maximum amount of characters allowed and automatically send it as a text file to your contact?
Hate to be a killjoy, but that sounds way more obtuse than just "Contact says" D: Especially because the eye just glazes over those tags during a convo. Of course, more functions are always nice, and I'm sure it would have its uses in some circumstances. But if such a function was integrated, I hope it would be possible to turn it off. Sorry to be flippant, but... generally, when I'm sending text via Msg window, it's because I just wanna send it via Msg window =P There are half a dozen OTHER ways I could do it and not have to worry about the text limit at all, but I choose to do it through a WLM wnd because that's how I want to do it.

HOWEVER...
quote:
this could be used as some kind of enhanced-paste feature and be extended for example to paste pictures, html pages, etc... ?
I would LOVE if when you CTRL+V'd (or even drag-dropped) an image into a window, it put it into shared folders instead of inititiaizing the old fashioned style image transfer. You should probably make that turn-offable in the options, though, as I'm sure many people prefer the simplicity of the old way -- not to mention sharing folders sometimes goes offline for long periods of time.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post *cough* Hope I made my point here. :D I'll just finish by saying that the text limit is by far my #1 frustration with WLM, and I'd be overjoyed to see it gone.
02-24-2008 01:45 AM
stu

Stu

38 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Theory on making messages infinite length
quote:

Of course theres always the option in WLM itself to "Group sequential messages from each contact together". If the user has that set up, there would be no noticable breaks in the text, other then the line break where it has been split up which is hardly anything to complain about imo
03-01-2008 07:05 PM
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
How about this for plus users only:

Say the limit is 10 characters.

I say this:

lolkjijuhghytgh

when i post it plus makes it

lolkjiju::

sends it then sends

::hghytgh

plus notices the :: :: and joins then together to make one big one?
No longer here.
03-01-2008 09:34 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: