What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Officer roughs up teen

Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
Officer roughs up teen
Author: Message:
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Officer roughs up teen
quote:
The kid was breaking the law by skateboarding where he was skateboarding, so the cop had a right to take the skateboard off him
quote:
So the cop went up to him and grabed the skateboard, the kid held onto it and wouldn't give it over, so the cop had to use force and throw him to the ground.
quote:
he disrespected the officer.
The skateboard belongs to the kid.

Throwing a person on the ground is usually assault. It doesn't matter if you were trying to snatch a skateboard from them, it didn't need to be done and is a crime.

It's not the law to respect people.

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
Both crossed the line.
Cop clearly has power abuse problems and the kid is just a teenager with attitude, nothing special.
Abusing authority is "crossing the line" (by definition), but teenagers have attitude (it's a fact of life), that's not "crossing the line".

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
I don't know where this video was filmed, but had it been around here, the officer would not have been allowed to use such yelling or aggressive behaviour for something of the sort. He had to first ensure that the person in question was warned of the behaviour if there are no written indications in the area stating the fact that it is not legal to skateboard there. If the child continues to do it, the officer must then take names down and etc.
I expect in most places, including the setting of the video, the officer would not be allowed to act in that manner. Still, not being allowed doesn't stop people from doing things.

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
If you are breaking the law with something the police are allowed to confiscateit, well here in australia they are.. Here in victoria, we have laws that are nicknamed "anti-hoon laws" If you are caught drag racing, you car gets confiscated.
That's partly right. A street racer can have their car impounded by a court, for street racing, but the law doesn't saw if you are breaking the law with something it can be confiscated.

quote:
If your car has to much sub woofers etc and its creating lots of noise your car can be confiscated.
If the mechanics of the car is making so much noise that it is deemed defective, it shall be ordered of the road. If you have an audio system that is disturbing people, you will be told to turn it down. If you don't, you may be ordered to leave the area or you may be charged for making too much noise.

quote:
If you are caught your skateboard will be taken off you. If you refuse to give it up,it will be taken off you by force.
What's the law that allows this?

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
haha.. that kid got pwned by a cop :lol:

but yeah c'mon if you're wearing a police uniform, representing the law you should have a little bit more composure. sure the kid may have pissed him off, but i mean those guys are trained not to get provoked easily (so that they don't abuse their power) and to be honest the physical contact in this situation was unnecessary.  imo.
but it was kinda funny though..
When police officers stretch their control past their authority (maybe not as far as Officer Riviera, but beyond what they should) it builds negative images about police. Instead of being seen as people who protect and help, they become people who  hassle and intrude. Of course, once the negative goodwill is built, protecting and helping people becomes harder since they don't want to be around you.

quote:
I have a right to walk up to you on the street and call you a loser or something like that, but you would be angry and insulted.
You are still able to do it.

This post was edited on 02-28-2008 at 08:01 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
02-27-2008 11:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Fanta

<fun stuff goes here>

44 / Female / Flag
RE: Officer roughs up teen
Honestly, that cop seems to be having a very bad day. 

I agree with one of the first posts that the video gives very little information to base much judgment on, but that copper shows disrespect to those 3 kids and then is surprised when he receives attitude back.

Also the officer says: "Obiously your parents dont put a foot in your butt quite enough because you dont know the meaning of respect"

Kicking/slapping/spanking your child would be child abuse, and in many countries would be falling under crime laws.

I once pointed and laughed at a police officer on a bike and said loudly so that  all my friends could hear, that that was the most pathetic police officer I ever saw. (which is obviously clear disrespect, but hey, I was 15)
He stopped, came to me and asked something along the lines of me being a little bitch. I answered that the difference was that I was not a bitch, but he was still, for a fact, a copper.  He left after asking me kindly to be a little more respectful next time, which made me at that time, feel guilty for making fun of him.

I think that any police officer would be better off reacting like the cop in my own story, even though he showed me disrespect in return, he used it to point out its not nice when people make unfounded rude statements about you.

What the cop in that video seems to do, is turn it around and give a very "childish" attitude to those skateboarders, who are teens and obviously are going to react on what that cop is doing. Any and every cop should know the psychological basics behind communication and know how to turn the situation to your advantage, not against you. This cop clearly makes some errors regarding his communication skills.
[Image: fantaclub7fz.gif]

02-27-2008 05:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: