What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Preview / Alpha] Who Sent It 0.7.1

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
[Preview / Alpha] Who Sent It 0.7.1
Author: Message:
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Preview / Alpha] Who Sent It
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
We have to add each contact?

It would be nice if this plugin is activated, it does it itself.
There is the default settings at the top of the preferecnes which is to move into folders by email, but you can then add contact specific rules, eg bob@hotmail.com goes into My Rec Files\Bob etc
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Maybe you better put everything (all the error checking and initializing and calling DoInit) in OnEvent_SignInReady and simply direct OnEvent_Initialize to OnEvent_SignInReady (or don't even use OnEvent_Initialize since it makes no sense to use this script while you're signed out anyways).
Ah ok, will change that later :)
quote:
PS: the hardlink creation is a nice touch, although I would personally rather see this as an option.
Yup, it will be optional :)  I like options.
quote:
Or device a scheme where the hardlink is only there as long as the conversation window is open or something.
yea it doesn't do it at the moment, but the plan is for it to keep track of the hardlinks created and remove them on convo close/wlm close.
quote:
And IIRC hard links can only be created on the same volume. So if the user decides to have directories on another volume (to save space?) than Messenger's received files folder, the link can't be created
Well as it currently is it only supports moving to sub-folders within the Received Files folder, so this isn't currently a problem.
quote:
(plus it is not supported on fat32 of course).
will make a note of that, ideally disabling the option if I can detect if the drive is Fat32.
quote:

EDIT: Oh, and the Windows API for creating a hardlink is CreateHardlink(). It works  as easy (if not easier) than using a DOS Shell to FSutils.
Ah thanks, didn't know there was an API for it :D
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
03-10-2008 08:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Preview / Alpha] Who Sent It
:D Already loving it (besides the use of Xniff)

Maybe another suggestion for the interface:

When the user wants to add a contact, instead of having users to select one contact, and then showing another window to set/change the preferences for this contact, why not make it both in the same window: the list of contact and underneath the options. Much like how other similar stuff is done in Windows itself.

In that way you can also allow users to select multiple contacts and set/change their preferences all at once (eg: showing three-state checkboxes, etc) in one window. And then you don't need to present multiple windows to the user either (which is always a bit clumsy). And thus the script gets a bit shorter too. KIS (keep it simple).

This post was edited on 03-10-2008 at 11:47 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-10-2008 11:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
V@no

sexy

RE: [Preview / Alpha] Who Sent It 0.7.1
Hello!
This is second script I've tried of this sort and it also worked only ONCE - meaning it only "move" files to a newly created folder and will not move anything to previously  created folder, which creates two identical files in "My Received  Files" folder. (user A@A.A sends a file (blah.txt), a new folder "A@A.A" created and hardlink created in that folder - good. After that user A@A.A sends second file (blah2.txt), however no hardlink inside folder "A@A.A" is being created, instead hardlink created inside "My Received Files" folder (blah2.txt and blah2(1).txt)
Anyone has this issue?

P.S. IMHO creating hardlinks is absolutely useless, what's the point? Besides it will "scare" most of the people who doesn't know that its hardlinks and not physical copy of the files. And finally if one want to see all files in all subfolders, simply search for *

This post was edited on 03-23-2008 at 09:36 AM by V@no.
03-23-2008 03:56 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The registration and use of Xniff is indeed very buggy in this script, which can partially explain why it only works once. After some heavy modifications, it works nicely here (for as far as anything with Xniff can work nicely of course).

Remember that this script is still in alpha stage....

This post was edited on 03-23-2008 at 12:39 PM by CookieRevised.
03-23-2008 12:30 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
The registration and use of Xniff is indeed very buggy in this script, which can partially explain why it only works once. After some heavy modifications, it works nicely here (for as far as anything with Xniff can work nicely of course).

Remember that this script is still in alpha stage....

The method I've been using works well, but sometimes misses the first connection with each contact
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-23-2008 03:12 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Believe me, it really does not. I have looked into Xniff quite a lot and how it is often used in scripts. I can give a whole list of issues with it and issues with how it is often implemented/initialized in scripts.

This post was edited on 03-23-2008 at 03:26 PM by CookieRevised.
03-23-2008 03:26 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
I know about the errors etc and the fact it actually crashes Plus! IIRC, but the results I get are quite promising, if I can fin an alternative to xniff :p
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-23-2008 03:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I'm not talking about the crashes now, I'm talking about how Xniff is actually used in scripts and how that quite often leads to Xniff only working for some time (eg: until you sign out for whatever reason, eg: hybernation) and not anymore afterwards (eg: when you've signed back in). ;)

This post was edited on 03-23-2008 at 03:44 PM by CookieRevised.
03-23-2008 03:42 PM
V@no

sexy

so, what is so "special" about xniff? why is so needed in this particular script?
I thought it would be simple enough to monitor wlm events and after it received a file just move it to a needed folder...isn't plus! provide such events?
03-23-2008 09:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by V@no
so, what is so "special" about xniff? why is so needed in this particular script?
It is a ActiveX packet sniffer, which is the only way to retrieve filesent events.
quote:
I thought it would be simple enough to monitor wlm events and after it received a file just move it to a needed folder...
That's exactly what it does.
quote:
isn't plus! provide such events?
No.
03-23-2008 10:26 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version