What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Skinning Forum Rules

Skinning Forum Rules
Author: Message:
Soardra

The original Soaring Dragon

35 / Female / Flag
O.P. Skinning Forum Rules
Ok, this might have been brought up earlier and it may not have, but in the "Request Skins" Forum there are no stated rules or guidelines as to what constitutes a skin. I've found that people ask for "skins" in there, but all they really want is a background change which they could do use the Background Changer script for.

A suggestion to address this is to state some guidelines in there along with a skin request form in which they state what theme they want along with if they want the chat windows/contact list a certain shape, if they want any button changes (textures, graphics) as well as links to any pictures they want added in the skin. For example:

Theme:* (Pirates of the Caribbean, Monster Truck, Pearl, DS, etc)
Picture Links:* (Links to the backgrounds, button styles, banners, etc)
Prefered Creator: (Who you would like to create your skin based on previous style/tastes and experiance)
Chat Window/Contact list shape: (No changes, ship, butterfly, circle, cross, etc..)
Button Change: (Name any textures, styles, shapes, etc...)
Text Changes: (Name any text-based changes you want i.e. change the "sign on" text, mention a language theme (such as pirate speech or Elizabethan English [Think Shakespere], 1337, Gangsta, etc...)
Comments:*(Suggestions for things not listed)

Also, from what I've read these are things to keep in mind:
[list=1]
[*]Major Text changes must be restricted to English unless you can translate it into another language.
[*]Changing the shape of the chat window or contact list must make sense with the theme and also look appealing to the eye. Also be warned that it is time consuming.
[/list]

Skinners feel free to jump in with your own suggestions o-o cuz I really think this would be a good idea. Also items with * next to them I suggest as required.

This post was edited on 03-07-2008 at 12:39 AM by Soardra.
[Image: 81-0.png]
Thanks for uploading my pirate status buttons, MeEtc ^^
03-04-2008 10:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
RE: Skinning Forum Rules
Good thought. The forum gets full of those requests and I remember Patchou once asked people not to request any more skins for that reason.
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
03-04-2008 10:31 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Soardra

35 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Skinning Forum Rules
Hmm, didn't know that...mostly cuz I'm new XD. Anyway, I have another suggestion to add in the Skinner forum which is a list of Skinners and what they're currently working on so that requesters can better know if his or her request will be addressed and who can address them. Said list should also be seperated into degrees of experiance and the amount of skins they have previously made and stuff.

* Soardra is usually full of ideas *
03-04-2008 10:40 PM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Skinning Forum Rules
quote:
Originally posted by Soardra
Hmm, didn't know that...mostly cuz I'm new XD. Anyway, I have another suggestion to add in the Skinner forum which is a list of Skinners and what they're currently working on so that requesters can better know if his or her request will be addressed and who can address them. Said list should also be seperated into degrees of experiance and the amount of skins they have previously made and stuff.

* Soardra is usually full of ideas *

Wheres the element of surprise :P , if skinners told everyone what they were working on then it wouldn't be any fun. ;)

I'm not sure that listing skinners by experience is a good idea as you might offend someone if they get ranked lower than what they may think they are.

To be honest i think the request section is fine the way it is, 95% of all requests aren't even made and if people put down what skinner they wanted to do it it would be a bit pressuring on the skinner. At least with a general request its not directly targeted at someone so anyone can pick it up.

My 2 cents anyway.
03-06-2008 09:00 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Soardra

35 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Skinning Forum Rules
Thanks for the 2 cents ^^ I think there should be at least a thread made stating the difference between a new background and a new skin as well as the version compatibility issues and a request form. o-o

From Willz perspective I can see how the skinners list might hurt some peoples feelings and yah, the preferred skinner thing was put in there as a wandering thought o-o Most of this is wandering thoughts all mashed together anyway though XD

* Soardra bounces off the walls *
03-07-2008 12:38 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: