What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Is there an end to space

Pages: (12): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Is there an end to space
Author: Message:
Purplehaze

38 / Female / –
RE: Is there an end to space
well i guess it must stop sumwhere
04-14-2003 06:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dr Zoidberg

45 / Male / –
If you stood on any planet in space for intance say the moon and looked through a pair of binoculars and held up you other hand you would eventuly see yourself.
Your damned if you do and damned if you dont
04-14-2003 07:20 PM
CoOl_GuY

DON"T MESS WIT MY GURL!!!

34 / Male / –
Cool  RE: Is there an end to space
well i think there is aliens out there some where cuz if there isn't it is a big waste of space so there must be somethin else out there!!!
[Image: sideleveled.jpg]SWEET CAR!!!
04-14-2003 09:16 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I also tend to think there are some other species in the galaxie, hopefully they are not Borg (yeah, 5 hours of daily Star Trek make you see things). Anyway, think about it: we don't even know for sure how far our solar system goes, there are trillions of systems in our galaxie and there are millions of galaxies in the unverse, as far as we can tell. Maybe there's an even bigger entity, so the point is: we'll never know. As far as the universe is concerned, Earth is a stupid rock where some parasites succeeded to evolve and exterminate themselves in the blink of an eye. Probably millions of other civilisations existed before us in other systems and millions more will exit after us, chances are we'll never know about it either. It's sad but that's a fact.

By the way, very nice pictures posted here. It's good to see a thread not talking about sex or cars :).

Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-15-2003 05:26 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Fragged

Uber

We already have the borg; Microsoft.

My 'e' key is sticking :(
Regime Change
Starts with Howard

Learn to capitilise properly

<please do not take offence to the preceding comments>
04-15-2003 06:09 AM
Tandy
Veteran Member

:D

34 / Male / –
i think i may have the answer

yes there WAS an end to space at the end to space at the end of this universe (which may seem unending because it is so big)
until a couple of years ago when scientists sent a laser beam into space (i dont know the full story so dont ask me) now if there was an end you would see the laser pass straight through. However it did not, it bounced off other things and reflected in different places etc. saying this means that there are parallel universes out there somewhere

so just think about it.............there could be another universe
exactly 100% the same as ours with the same milky way and exactly the same earth............with someone exactly like you...............doing exactly the same thing as you right now this very millisecond and thinking about exactly the same thing.

think about it and post a reply(or send me an email)

Tandy
[Image: allju3.jpg]
04-15-2003 06:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Addo

Watch this space for updates

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: Is there an end to space
quote:
Originally posted by Muss
No one knows, no one can be right, so why ask?

O you Daler Mehndi.. kh kh kh
04-15-2003 06:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
viper15

– / Male / –
O.P. Shocked  RE: Is there an end to space
Also when you see light i think most of them  are beams of moving light. then where did they come from? aliens????:)

viper
:)This link below is a dbz/GT site go on lots to do:)

http://viper1414.tripod.com
04-15-2003 08:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Muss
Former Moderator

This Is The Start To A New Era

38 / Other / –
What?

When you see light of course it is beams of moving light.

All light is moving light waves, the colour you see depends on what colours of the specrum are reflected, and which are absorbed :undecided:

It is impossible to send a laser into space, and for them to see it.

To get to the end of the known universe, actually lets use our galaxy, the milky way.

It would take a very very very long time. not just a matter of year, but qa matter of decades. And there is no possible way of them seeing somethign as small as a beam of light.

If there was an end to space, the light would just stop. It couldn't pass through it, because it is hitting something.

It could have bounced off of thing (dust particles, other planets, etc) but then it wouldn't be travelling in a straight line, which is the whole thing behind the experiment.

Light travels in straight line - if it stops going, then there is an end

It hitting things on the way make it go off in different directions, which screws it up.

Either way, there are no telescopes powerful enough to see how far the beam would go, because it is such a small beam.

For all we know, we may be the edge of the universe(s) *in saying that, I don't mean the known universe, I mean the entire enity of space* And the centre is way the fuck in the other direction then people are looking.

04-15-2003 11:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by viper15
ah but that deos not explain is space ends. when u think of it its hard to pickture it going on for forever.

Do you find it easier to picture it just stopping? I mean, what happens then? A great big brick wall and past that just 'doesn't exist'?

[boring]

By definition space is the absence of matter. Fair enough, there are stars and so on, but in between there is absolutely nothing. No air, no gas, no little dead space creatures, nothing. And that's what would be at the end of the universe. So basically, space is the existence of nothing. So either you imagine that something else goes on forever (e.g. space... space... space... space... space... and then suddenly strawberry Pop Tarts ad infinitum) or there is nothing. Just an empty... space.

So yes, I believe that something, space or not, goes on for ever. It can't possibly end. What would happen if it did?

More to the point, I believe that it is space that goes on for ever, not Pop Tarts or milk or geography teachers (shudder). Why? Because it's so hard to visualise an infinite amount of matter, I prefer to visualise an infinity of space with a finite amount of matter.

I suppose it all depends on what it's easiest to visualise. If there was just a brick wall at the 'end' of space, and you smashed a hole in it and went through, what would happen? A new 'space'? Would you appear at the other side, like a huge 3D game of Pacman? I doubt it.

Though, thinking about it, if you take the Earth, and you walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, you will never come to the end of the Earth and fall off. That's because you're covering 3D space in 2D directions. Maybe space somehow becomes a 4D torus or sphere, where you can only cover 3D movements, so you can never travel in that 4th direction to escape. But then... there IS another way to go off the Earth... even if there weren't, there would still be stuff there... or, more correctly, the absence of stuff... oh, forget it!

[/boring]

So, um, what was the question again? ;)
[Image: title.gif]
Please visit my site, Lamerde, by clicking this broken picture. :mipdodgy: It's intentional. Honestly.

04-15-2003 08:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (12): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: