What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » BURNING DVDS HELP PLEASE

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
BURNING DVDS HELP PLEASE
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: BURNING DVDS HELP PLEASE
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
To add to Cookies post, The Golden Rules of Burning.
cool find. I've bookmarked it (y).

However point 1 isn't correct. The brand (or better brand id) does _not_ matter, what matters is how much the brand (id) you choose is compatible with your burner drive. That isn't neccesary Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, it can be anything.

Point 4 is not that accurate either. Again it depends on the combination of your drive and disc brand and type. But if you aren't able to find a reference table for your burner drive, or you can't test different combinations yourself, it is a good rule of thumb though (see also my post).

This post was edited on 03-29-2008 at 06:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-29-2008 05:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
RE: RE: BURNING DVDS HELP PLEASE
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
To add to Cookies post, The Golden Rules of Burning.
cool find. I've bookmarked it (y).
I think it is a post everybody should read.

quote:
However point 1 isn't correct. The brand (or better brand id) does _not_ matter, what matters is how much the brand (id) you choose is compatible with your burner drive. That isn't neccesary Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, it can be anything.
Actually that is incorrect. If you wish to have superior burns you should only use the two brands posted in that link. When burning DL DVD Video, you should _only_ use Verbatim +R DL (MKM-001-00, I use 003) from Singapore (not India - sorry JAnderton ;)).

quote:
Point 4 is not that accurate either. Again it depends on the combination of your drive and disc brand and type. But if you aren't able to find a reference table for your burner drive, or you can't test different combinations yourself, it is a good rule of thumb though (see also my post).

Sorry, wrong again.

I have seen _MANY_ posts and scans which confirm those are the only two trusted media (Verbatim for DL) you should use for burning DVDs. The media is more than a "rule of thumb", they are a must. With dud brands, some burns may burn successfully if you are lucky, but will deteriorate quicker and errors will pop up sooner.

If you go into any reputable DVD burning forum/site they will tell you the exact same thing. You post about a burn problem and they will ask you to change DVD brands if you use the wrong one.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
03-31-2008 03:52 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Sorry but the combination of burner brand/type and media _is_ important. It might well be that there are many more good combinations to form with Verbatim media than other media, true. And it would be normal if people recommend Verbatim because of that.

But that does not mean the combination burner/media isn't important. It simply means Verbatim media will have the most chance of forming a good combination. (it is the most "compatible" if you like) Hence why it is suggested so much, because it is easier to take your chance with a media which gives good results with most burners, than actually doing a very time consuming test to see if there is other media which might give better results for your particular burner.

This post was edited on 03-31-2008 at 06:25 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-31-2008 06:23 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
quote:
Sorry but the combination of burner brand/type and media _is_ important. It might well be that there are many more good combinations to form with Verbatim media than other media, true. And it would be normal if people recommend Verbatim because of that.

But that does not mean the combination burner/media isn't important. It simply means Verbatim media will have the most chance of forming a good combination. (it is the most "compatible" if you like) Hence why it is suggested so much, because it is easier to take your chance with a media which gives good results with most burners, than actually doing a very time consuming test to see if there is other media which might give better results for your particular burner.

They are the best because they are made so well. When the disc makers create these discs they don't have each burner in mind. They create the discs as best they can with the top quality materials and dyes.

You may use a disc suited for your burner but they may not last long. Crap dyes will soon deteriorate and leave you with a nice little coaster.

Take your chance.
End Darko
My blog about my film

04-01-2008 06:00 AM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: BURNING DVDS HELP PLEASE
quote:

They are the best because they are made so well. When the disc makers create these discs they don't have each burner in mind. They create the discs as best they can with the top quality materials and dyes.

You may use a disc suited for your burner but they may not last long. Crap dyes will soon deteriorate and leave you with a nice little coaster.

I don't necessarily think they are the "best", but just seem to be a well known brand which seem to work well for people a lot of the time. These imation disks right in front of me could be the best, but are they sold at every single shop and are they the most expensive? And what defines "best", produce the least amount of errors on average? That's very important but I don't think that makes a certain brand of disk "better" overall in terms of other aspects of a disc (such as longability, which you mentioned). Verbatim might have very competitive prices which make people want to buy them, and they seem to get the job done quite well. Just a thought...

EDIT: This might be interesting (a link off the golden rules of burning page) http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

This post was edited on 04-01-2008 at 06:36 AM by Aardvark.
04-01-2008 06:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
I don't necessarily think they are the "best", but just seem to be a well known brand which seem to work well for people a lot of the time.
As opposed to not working?

quote:
These imation disks right in front of me could be the best, but are they sold at every single shop and are they the most expensive?
Please steer clear of that brand!

quote:
And what defines "best", produce the least amount of errors on average? That's very important but I don't think that makes a certain brand of disk "better" overall in terms of other aspects of a disc (such as longability, which you mentioned). Verbatim might have very competitive prices which make people want to buy them, and they seem to get the job done quite well. Just a thought...
If a specific type of disc produces no errors and lasts longer than other discs, I would think it would be 'the best'. After all, we want quality right?

Basically it comes down to this. If you want long lasting DVD backups, use the media stated in that post. Otherwise buy cheap crap and you will get just that.

This post was edited on 04-01-2008 at 07:40 AM by linx05.
End Darko
My blog about my film

04-01-2008 07:19 AM
Pyro

The Frog Is Back!

31 / Male / –
O.P. RE: BURNING DVDS HELP PLEASE
ahhh alright now i understand. sorry just somthing i always wondered.  WOW thanks for such a detailed answer to the question. we need more people like you and cookie :)
[Image: angusl.png]
/!\5594 days, 7 hours, 16 minutes, 11 seconds ago Until Xmas!!/!\
04-17-2008 03:32 AM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
No problem Pyro! Let us know how it all goes.
End Darko
My blog about my film

04-18-2008 06:42 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
Woo, little text argument! :P

This post was edited on 04-18-2008 at 06:51 AM by Volv.
04-18-2008 06:50 AM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
Woo, little text argument! :P
a big little text argument!
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
04-18-2008 07:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: