What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » aero skin

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
aero skin
Author: Message:
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: aero skin
two things:

Mike: it is possible to make only regions of a window transparent -- in fact, before applying Aero to a window, you need to make transparent the regions about to be aero-ified.

Willz: i remember you saying something about everyone giving up on giving messenger glass and mentioning my name, but i still believe it is currently possible as well :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-21-2008 12:04 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: aero skin
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
two things:

Mike: it is possible to make only regions of a window transparent -- in fact, before applying Aero to a window, you need to make transparent the regions about to be aero-ified.

Willz: i remember you saying something about everyone giving up on giving messenger glass and mentioning my name, but i still believe it is currently possible as well :p

lol I didn't know you were still working on that :P

Just out of interest have you managed to get further then what TheSteve did? That's generally the point where people conclude its not possible :P
03-21-2008 12:12 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Just out of interest have you managed to get further then what TheSteve did? That's generally the point where people conclude its not possible (Smilie)

no, but if that's where people conclude it isn't possible they're not trying very hard, because that point is pretty easy to get to :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-21-2008 12:16 AM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Just out of interest have you managed to get further then what TheSteve did? That's generally the point where people conclude its not possible (Smilie)

no, but if that's where people conclude it isn't possible they're not trying very hard, because that point is pretty easy to get to :p

Yeah I am aware of that getting there is easy, the problem is controlling it and thats where people can't figure out what to do as there is no clear way of controlling it.

So yeah i'd say energy is best spent on advancing something else in skinning as its quite possible that Microsoft can go down the path of Windows Live Mail desktop (which has Aero enabled) for 9 beta. It would explain the delay in builds if they are doing that.

This post was edited on 03-21-2008 at 12:28 AM by Willz.
03-21-2008 12:28 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
why do you have such an objection to adding glass to messenger? it seems like you're trying to avoid it :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-21-2008 12:43 AM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
why do you have such an objection to adding glass to messenger? it seems like you're trying to avoid it :p

I don't really have an objection to glass to be honest, the thing that I don't like is people talking about glass as if they know about what has already been tried and messengers current limitations (e.g riahc4).

At least with you, you have tried experimenting with glass so you know what is going on so I can respect that and any opinion you give, I won't shut it down, I'll merely just say whats been tried and what I think.

I honestly believe that if it is indeed possible, by the time someone figures it out properly and controls it well enough to be used, Microsoft will probably have added it themselves. That is why I am saying that energy is better spent on something else that would benefit those who aren't on Vista as Aero will only benefit Vista users.
03-21-2008 12:51 AM
TheSteve

The Man from Japan

40 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: aero skin
quote:
Just out of interest have you managed to get further then what TheSteve did? That's generally the point where people conclude its not possible :P
I'd just like to add that the only reason I stopped trying with this is that I don't have access to an aero capable vista installation. (Just the virtual machine type)

If anyone is interested in trying as has program experience, I recommend looking at the Desktop Window Manager API

There are two things in messenger's architecture that *might* be the cause for problems. Messenger uses normal GDI functions to paint it's window.  This can be a problem if the the desired operation requires that the alpha value remain intact. 
The other possible problem is that messenger's UI is drawn entirely on a child window. The may prevent proper rendering.

In any case, you would need support from a separate program, (probably Messenger Plus if Patchou is willing to implement it.) in order to pull it off. 
04-02-2008 01:38 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: