What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Way to show your olympic spirit

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Way to show your olympic spirit
Author: Message:
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Way to show your olympic spirit
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
There's so many things wrong with that sentence....being a sports scientist i should launch into a CookieRevised style essay reply
If you're a sports scientist, shouldn't you be figuring out how to make Lucozade better?
quote:
and as for it being an unbiased platform, there's been cheating in numerous forms
Cheating isn't the same as bias.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-08-2008 07:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
that golden gate people are win
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
04-08-2008 07:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
If you're a sports scientist, shouldn't you be figuring out how to make Lucozade better?
Just add more glucose to Relentless and re-badge it as Lucozade +.
04-08-2008 07:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
relentless is godlike!

I tried to get them to sponsor stuffcast, competitions etc :P they were interested, but then we disbanded :(
04-08-2008 08:20 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Way to show your olympic spirit
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Svip
I thought the olympics were about putting aside political differences and compete on an unbiased platform.

There's so many things wrong with that sentence....being a sports scientist i should launch into a CookieRevised style essay reply, but i'm simply gonna say that there's been political boycotts of the olympics virtually every games since the 1950s

and as for it being an unbiased platform, there's been cheating in numerous forms (drugs, bribrery, equipment tampering) since the olympics began

Either you misquoted or you really don't understand him in the slightest. :S

The Olympics SHOULDN'T be about political differences or be biased, you're trying to say that it should be or something?

but then I have my opinions about sports 'scientists'.

Oh also on defense of Svip, there is nothing wrong with his sentence at all, it even has a full stop at the end. :) Whereas there are things wrong with yours in the first 3 words. :P

I understand him perfectly.  the olympics SHOULD be like that......but they're not.  so by saying "i thought the olympics were about..." blah, blah appeared to be saying that they were like that, when the truth is far from it.  The thing wrong with his sentence is the content of it....and there's nothing wrong with mine either if it's taken as speech (which it was meant to be), don't start a petty grammar war cos i'm also an english student, so I'm hardly going to make a mistake like that, I was just abbreviating "there are" to "there's" which is a perfectly acceptable thing to do outside of formal situations

and whilst we're commenting on grammar, it should be "in defense" :P

quote:

I never said it was, but cheating by officials (one of the things i was referring to by "many forms") would count as bias and therefore i'm correct

also, as for both of your views on sports scientists, i'd suggest that you're very badly informed and that if you engage in ANY kind of sporting activity (including watching) then your sport would be VASTLY different (read 'non-existent') in its current form without sports scientists

I don't mean to offend anyone with any of this, just I feel pretty strongly about things like this and don't take well to criticism on subjects on which I am very well informed, especially when people are largely just nitpicking because they have no argument, or making sweeping generalisations and so I will fight my corner :P

This post was edited on 04-08-2008 at 09:36 PM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5206 days, 7 hours, 31 minutes, 39 seconds ago
04-08-2008 09:30 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
I never said it was, but cheating by officials (one of the things i was referring to by "many forms") would count as bias
That still sounds more like cheating than bias to me. Bias is more usually a judgement made subjectively as opposed to objectively. Bias can exist without rules violations, whereas cheating is only rules violations.
Though I admit, cheating can lead to apparent bias e.g. bribes.

As for my views on sports scientists, I believe I have a pretty good understanding of what they do i.e. apply science to improve sports-people's performance. So making Lucozade better kinda falls into that ;)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-10-2008 08:40 PM
Adeptus

'
quote:
Originally posted by Svip
I thought the olympics were about putting aside political differences and compete on an unbiased platform.
That's a nice thought, but it hasn't historically been that way:

Olympic boycott overview
1972 Israeli Olympics team killed in Munich
1976 Montreal Olympics boycott
1980 Moscow Olympics boycott
1984 Los Angeles Olympics boycott

So, the recent events are nothing out of extraordinary.  Despite what you've been told, the Olympics have been a political instrument for at least the last 75 years.
04-11-2008 02:38 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: