What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM 2008 Version 8.5 completely locking up..

WLM 2008 Version 8.5 completely locking up..
Author: Message:
tHe_HyBrId

O.P. WLM 2008 Version 8.5 completely locking up..
EDIT2 : Smilies typed into a conversation work normally, so don't try pasting customer smilies in to msn, it'll freeze on you. I'll finally test normal smilies being pasted into msn and see whether it's just custom smilies..or all smilies !! (EDIT) Normal smilies do not lock up Windows Live Messanger when copied and pasted in Windows Live Messanger, so just be aware of pasting custome smilies ok.. Sorry for this thread, I answered my own question really, but this might end up useful for anyone with the same problem :)

EDIT: I just did some testing on this matter and I'm 99.99% sure that the issue with the pasted message was with the characters which would represent a "smiley" in the conversation..

Here's the message (Don't laugh ^^ :P) -

Posted in the convo without quotations marks btw..

"Hmm I dno whether to jump on you or not, you're set to busy and I'll likely get my head bitten off.. ^^ What d'you think?? oopsy too late ;p ^^ "

I removed all of the ^^'s and the ;p and tried pasting again, successfully. Also the pasting of URL's works aswell, so MSN must have a problem where if a message trying to be pasted has characters which make up smilies in it (for me at least) .. then messanger locks up, for no apparent reason to me :/ I'll now test smilies seperately just ot make sure ;)

Hey as you can see I'm new here, I have searched for relevant threads and came across a couple about freezing, but they don't really relate to my problem..

Anyway on to the issue:

When I try and copy and paste into a conversation, Windows Live Messenger locks up completely. None of this waiting 5 mins for it to unfreeze business. I then obviously have to go in to task manager and end the process..

I have tried this to several contacts and it simply isn't locking up when not pasting into a convo..

I have performed a compelte re-install on messanger and rebooted, I am yet to try todays windows updates but will do so in a minute.

Here is my pc setup before anyone suggests my pc is too slow..

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
Asus P5N-E Sli 650i
4x1Gb GeiL DDR2 800Mhz ULL 4-4-4-12 2T
2 x BFG 8800GTS 640mb OC2
OCZ GameXtreme 700W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320Gb 16mb cache (fully defragged at midday today)

And I am using Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1 (Full release)

And if it helps, here is the error message that I receive every time I try to copy and paste into a conversation..

Description:
  A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
  Application Name:    msnmsgr.exe
  Application Version:    8.5.1302.1018
  Application Timestamp:    4717a53b
  Hang Signature:    72dd
  Hang Type:    0
  OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    2057
  Additional Hang Signature 1:    a5c65dd2161fe64ad2d4c25814a87eb8
  Additional Hang Signature 2:    eecf
  Additional Hang Signature 3:    02644ac111a8fe32f088b1913c0934e0
  Additional Hang Signature 4:    72dd
  Additional Hang Signature 5:    a5c65dd2161fe64ad2d4c25814a87eb8
  Additional Hang Signature 6:    eecf
  Additional Hang Signature 7:    02644ac111a8fe32f088b1913c0934e0

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Thanks for all help in advanced and again, I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but I have searched for "freeze" , "freezes" "lockup", "lock up" and "lock ups" to no avail..

HyBrId

P.s. I will try the windows updates to see if that changes anything..

P.p.s. As I mentioned in my last edit up the top - Sorry for this thread, I answered my own question really, but this might end up useful for anyone with the same problem :)

This post was edited on 04-08-2008 at 08:52 PM by tHe_HyBrId.
04-08-2008 08:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: