What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] Microsoft rant

Pages: (14): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
[split] Microsoft rant
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: [split] Microsoft rant
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
does anyone remember when Macs became Intel? There was 0 combatability
I do.

There was compatibility. Rosetta, a platform for converting PPC based code in to Intel based code. Sure, it was slow but most applications were compatible in one way or another.

Apple made it really easy from a developers point of view too, to target both platforms at the same time with something called a Universal Binary - an application containing both PPC and Intel compiled code so it can run on either system. For most developers, fixing compatibility for their applications meant a simple recompile in X-Code (the Apple Developer tools) with a bit of changed code.

I wouldn't use that (the PPC -> Intel switch) as an example, but more when Apple went from the Apple II to the Macintosh - that's where they screwed most people over as there _was_ no backwards compatibility - but sometimes that's just a move you have to make to push the platform forward to do new things.

Microsoft however (when you're talking about Windows 7) can't do this, obviously because of the market share they need to sustain (and would lose out on a lot of people upgrading/moving to it) so backwards compatibility is always going to be there - they can't scrap the fundamentals of how their operating system works.

Was Windows Vista a failure? No. Is Microsoft doomed? No.

quote:
A good example is, IE, its slow, full of securety holes, takes up 20mb(hdd), slow.

Opera and FireFox on the other hand have 5mb(hdd), fast, very secure.
There's no way that Firefox is 5mb, it's also not (for the most part - Firefox 2 anyway) as fast as Internet Explorer. Why? Because portions of Internet Explorer are loaded within Windows and are used throughout the entire operating system so they're always in memory.

It's not full of security holes compared to Firefox either. If Firefox had the market share, there'd be no doubt that the number of security vulnerabilities reported in it too would be quite larger too. Actually, I'm sure one of the recent articles on the internets about this actually covers this and proves that Firefox is also quite vulnerable.

quote:
Oh, and iPod and iTunes isnt so seamless as you try and make it......

I dont know anyone personally (Not counting people on forums) that havent had to call up Apple tech support because something went wrong with there iPod.... a friend lost there firmware.... another friends battery stopped working, anothers click wheel broke.....
Compared to the very small amount of people that you know with an iPod to the entire user base, most people have no problem with the iPod. Why? Because it makes having an MP3 player look like it's ridiculously easy and every one can do it.

Random comment: Office 07 is awesome, I agree. Same applies for Office for Mac 2008 - it's equally awesome.

Disclaimer: These days I use a Mac 90% of the time I'm in front of a computer, I use Windows when testing a lot of my work, most PCs at home are Windows based, I do not think Microsoft is evil, I think Apple is awesome, I have several iPods and I use Firefox/Safari.
05-10-2008 12:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
One thing that ticks me off with office 2008 on mac is I CAN'T FUCKING IMPORT MULTIPLE IMAGES :@

But otherwise word 2008 notebooks in office 2008 are awesome, ESPECIALLY for recording lectures with built in mic and taking notes, every time you take a note it sets an audio bookmark on that line clicking the audio bookmark plays the audio from that point onwards :D
05-10-2008 12:51 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
One thing that ticks me off with office 2008 on mac is I CAN'T FUCKING IMPORT MULTIPLE IMAGES :@

But otherwise word 2008 notebooks in office 2008 are awesome, ESPECIALLY for recording lectures with built in mic and taking notes, every time you take a note it sets an audio bookmark on that line clicking the audio bookmark plays the audio from that point onwards :D
Theres an Office 2008 :S? I thought only 2007 was out...
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
05-10-2008 01:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
quote:
Docx and doc converstion is inbuilt and simple..... You just click save as either doc or docx . You can open up both and save as either.....
that's my point it needs to be done on office 2007 and i have to remember to do it useless, and the xml implemtaion was still useless
i can open docx in my copy of office 2003, i got a patch or something the first time i tried to open one :P. So i dunno what are you all talking about :zippy:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-10-2008 01:09 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant
quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:

the keywords are 'mac' and GOOGLE!!!!!
05-10-2008 02:22 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
quote:
Docx and doc converstion is inbuilt and simple..... You just click save as either doc or docx . You can open up both and save as either.....
that's my point it needs to be done on office 2007 and i have to remember to do it useless, and the xml implemtaion was still useless
i can open docx in my copy of office 2003, i got a patch or something the first time i tried to open one :P. So i dunno what are you all talking about :zippy:
i'm talking about, school, uni, work the places where you can't just update the os cos your not admin:P

quote:
quote:
quote:

i love the way mac always gets the better version of office, it cracks me up:rofl:
in 2008 did they fix the layout engine in word?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
These days I use a Mac 90% of the time I'm in front of a computer, I use Windows when testing a lot of my work, most PCs at home are Windows based, I do not think Microsoft is evil, I think Apple is awesome, I have several iPods and I use Firefox/Safari.
that's the way to think(Y)

This post was edited on 05-10-2008 at 02:38 AM by Jarrod.

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

05-10-2008 02:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:

ah i see, my mistake
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
05-10-2008 02:32 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
quote:
does anyone remember when Macs became Intel? There was 0 combatability
I do.

There was compatibility. Rosetta, a platform for converting PPC based code in to Intel based code. Sure, it was slow but most applications were compatible in one way or another.

Apple made it really easy from a developers point of view too, to target both platforms at the same time with something called a Universal Binary - an application containing both PPC and Intel compiled code so it can run on either system. For most developers, fixing compatibility for their applications meant a simple recompile in X-Code (the Apple Developer tools) with a bit of changed code.

I wouldn't use that (the PPC -> Intel switch) as an example, but more when Apple went from the Apple II to the Macintosh - that's where they screwed most people over as there _was_ no backwards compatibility - but sometimes that's just a move you have to make to push the platform forward to do new things.

Microsoft however (when you're talking about Windows 7) can't do this, obviously because of the market share they need to sustain (and would lose out on a lot of people upgrading/moving to it) so backwards compatibility is always going to be there - they can't scrap the fundamentals of how their operating system works.

Was Windows Vista a failure? No. Is Microsoft doomed? No.

quote:
A good example is, IE, its slow, full of securety holes, takes up 20mb(hdd), slow.

Opera and FireFox on the other hand have 5mb(hdd), fast, very secure.
There's no way that Firefox is 5mb, it's also not (for the most part - Firefox 2 anyway) as fast as Internet Explorer. Why? Because portions of Internet Explorer are loaded within Windows and are used throughout the entire operating system so they're always in memory.

It's not full of security holes compared to Firefox either. If Firefox had the market share, there'd be no doubt that the number of security vulnerabilities reported in it too would be quite larger too. Actually, I'm sure one of the recent articles on the internets about this actually covers this and proves that Firefox is also quite vulnerable.

quote:
Oh, and iPod and iTunes isnt so seamless as you try and make it......

I dont know anyone personally (Not counting people on forums) that havent had to call up Apple tech support because something went wrong with there iPod.... a friend lost there firmware.... another friends battery stopped working, anothers click wheel broke.....
Compared to the very small amount of people that you know with an iPod to the entire user base, most people have no problem with the iPod. Why? Because it makes having an MP3 player look like it's ridiculously easy and every one can do it.

Random comment: Office 07 is awesome, I agree. Same applies for Office for Mac 2008 - it's equally awesome.

Disclaimer: These days I use a Mac 90% of the time I'm in front of a computer, I use Windows when testing a lot of my work, most PCs at home are Windows based, I do not think Microsoft is evil, I think Apple is awesome, I have several iPods and I use Firefox/Safari.

Like he said, 08 is equal to 07, it just took longer to develop :). You seem to think that the later model number in a year based modeling system means better?

Umm, I put beside how much it takes up as (hdd), as i didnt mean memory for the download.

But more users use FF then IE. Opera (In my personal opinion the best browser of the lot) is used less then all 4 (IE, FF, Opera, Safari..... we need to find a two letter accronym for opera and safari while where at it)

And what i was pointing out was most programs didnt need converstion for Vista, and they just needed a few new code changes and recompile as well (i dont know exact spicfics). Apple programs DID need converstion......

And i wasnt around in the Apple 2 to Macintosh days so i wouldnt know :). Well i was around, but i was like 4 or something....

And yes Windows 7 cant do this, i know this.... but.... they have to!!!

[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-10-2008 02:50 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
Mac OS 9 -> OS X was pretty bad knock back on compatibility for people. If I remember correctly
05-10-2008 03:04 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Microsoft rant
Yeah, well anyway. All OS's do it, you will always loose at least a LITTLE bit on each next majour iteration.

Even on Linux, Unix, Windows, Mac, BSD, Solaris and any other OS you can think of.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-10-2008 03:32 AM
Pages: (14): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: