What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] Microsoft rant

Pages: (14): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
[split] Microsoft rant
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: [split] Microsoft rant
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
It had a few more things such as not being able to save (or read?) docx files? I forget, but it was a few more things than that. (I
don't think it had ribbon either)
It can read/write the XML format files (docx, xlsx etc) and it has the Mac version of the ribbon component.

The reason why the ribbon isn't the same as the PC one is that kind of UI wouldn't work well on a Mac - so they've come up with their own "ribbon"..

[Image: word-1.jpg]

This post was edited on 05-11-2008 at 02:23 AM by surfichris.
05-11-2008 02:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Microsoft rant
Well, i know this for one. All new PC's bought from Betta Elictrical and Harvey Norman and the like (HP, Asus, Sony and etc(prebuilt computers)). All ship with FF :).

But i have to disagree that FF is easier then Opera, they have exactly the same learning curve.....

Well, they did go "Hey, lets go all W3C complaint" with IE8 aparantly.

And I dont care what you say, for a full website (Web 2.0 features) you will always run into the "doesnt work with IE" problem. As it doesnt handle it the same as all the other browsers......

PS: Mac ribbion is ugggggly :)

This post was edited on 05-11-2008 at 02:24 AM by mattisdada.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-11-2008 02:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
chris boultan, you know how I can import more than one image at a time into word? It seems so obvious I try to use it almost all the time, how could such a simple feature be forgotten :S
05-11-2008 03:39 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
chris boultan, you know how I can import more than one image at a time into word? It seems so obvious I try to use it almost all the time, how could such a simple feature be forgotten :S
Hold ctrl when you select them =\

Unless you are talking about on a mac, then I'm not sure, but this definitely works for me with Word 2007 SP1 on XP SP3

This post was edited on 05-11-2008 at 03:54 AM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
05-11-2008 03:48 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [split] Microsoft rant
Yeah.... if thats not what your talking about Niles then i dont know what you are!
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
05-11-2008 03:55 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Hold ctrl when you select them =\

Unless you are talking about on a mac, then I'm not sure, but this definitely works for me with Word 2007 SP1 on XP SP3
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Yeah.... if thats not what your talking about Niles then i dont know what you are!

Exactly, I can do that on windows, ctrl or shift and click fine, on mac it just won't work. even drag dropping (which is a real effort in itself on a mac :@) doesn't do it. Only importing the first picture you clicked on
05-11-2008 01:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
But more users use FF then IE. Opera (In my personal opinion the best browser of the lot) is used less then all 4 (IE, FF, Opera, Safari..... we need to find a two letter accronym for opera and safari while where at it)

You do realize Mozilla don't want people calling Firefox FF? If anything, they'd like you to call it Fx.

[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
05-11-2008 02:23 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
And your computer CAN actually restart itself after installing updates without your consent in both Vista AND XP. It does it after a set period of time after installing an update and you don't restart.
It will never restart on itself unless you have choosen the options to automatically install/update everything.

If you choose custom install/update and ticked the right options it will never restart by itself (just showing you the notification that you need to restart).

Bottom line: choose the correct option.

quote:
As for people who go around knocking the ribbon in office 07, they clearly haven't tried it out too well. It's so awesome!
I have tried out the ribbon quite well. In fact, at work I was forced to use it all the time. And I absolutely hated it. And I was not alone. Now they have downgraded again because of all the complaints (and after a very long "we'll just leave it as it is for now, so people can get used to it" periode).

quote:
There are so many options there just standing in front of me sure I could go through and click them all but it's more fun seeing what you find by accident. The other day my friend and I found out we could insert EQUATIONS!! How crazy is that?!?
Exactly the only reason why the ribbon was introduced: because people didn't know what they could do or what the options were in Office.

For people who do know what they can do and know exactly what they need (=also the people who usually turn off the stupid 'personal menus' or 'leave out less used stuff' options as soon as Office is installed), the ribbon is 'useless'...

But those are the opinions of a few people, not the entire (mostly newb) market, of course...

------------------------------------------

For the rest, funny how MS is once again bashed into the ground with very biased and sometimes even wrong arguments... If only some people knew some more background and insiders info or how stuff really works in the big bussiness world... Some things will never change.... lol :p

This post was edited on 05-11-2008 at 05:16 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-11-2008 04:58 PM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It will never restart on itself unless you
My computer prompts for download and install. No-one touched it when I went to sleep when I went to bed and I did read somewhere it does automatically restart if it's a highly critical update.

EDIT: Because the computer was idle for so long, that was a factor in automatically restarting due to the HIGH CRITICALNESS of the update 8-) I also downloaded them from the Microsoft Download Centre not from Windows Update.

This post was edited on 05-11-2008 at 09:34 PM by Aardvark.
05-11-2008 09:25 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
doesn't matter from where you download though (for updates and fixes). But it wont auto-restart if you choose custom install, even on extremely critical updates, certainly not after a long period of idling.... What update was it?

This post was edited on 05-11-2008 at 11:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-11-2008 11:32 PM
Pages: (14): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: