What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » You all wanted it, now i've got it, Messenger Plus! portable

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
You all wanted it, now i've got it, Messenger Plus! portable
Author: Message:
dan1570

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. You all wanted it, now i've got it, Messenger Plus! portable
After reading through hundreds of threads on the internet and seeing the same words over and over again "It can't be done", I have come up with a solution to make Plus! portable (yes this is for Windows Live Messenger).
I am a college student aged 17 and me and my friends decided that we were bored of the same old portable windows live 8.5, we wanted Plus!, not only for fun but also for its great feature of being able to hide messenger and your conversation windows. Anyone wanting to know how feel free to private message me or add me on msn, danni_is_my_girl_4eva@hotmail.co.uk and I'll give you a helping hand to do it yourself.

Anybody using Thinstall for this process is wasting their time as it simply does not work. Messenger needs to access files for plus to work alongside it, messenger finds the location of these files through the registry and if you thinstall everything into one little package the location (drive letter) cannot be changed, and if are wanting this to be portable the drive letter of your storage device is constantly changing rendering the registry settings you have saved in your package useless.
05-14-2008 12:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: You all wanted it, now i've got it, Messenger Plus! portable
I'm sorry, but nobody serious on these forums is ever going to add you to their contact list. If you truly want to share the information you have, post it here so that others may benefit.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
05-14-2008 12:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
dan1570

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: You all wanted it, now i've got it, Messenger Plus! portable
In which case it will have to wait till tomorrow as I am very tierd, in the mea time if anybody does wish to private message me asking for assistace they are more than welcome.
05-14-2008 01:00 AM
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
yes, share the information, that what these forums are for.
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6648 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes, 31 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
05-14-2008 01:44 AM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
Or at least the final product :)
05-14-2008 08:48 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dan1570

33 / Male / Flag
Right, I said I would reply so here it is. Although I have been able to make Plus! portable please note this project is still in its early stages and therefore as with any software in the early stages there are certain conditions in which the program will not function as expected. In the case of this it is completely portable apart from when being used on a system with a LUA (Limited User Account), this is because the loader needs to create subkeys under the HKLM registry key but the permissions of a LUA do not allow you to do this. This has been found out due to tests I have carried out on various systems today. I am going to continue working on this in order to try and correct this issue and also atempt to load everything into a single file however cannot promise anything on this. I will upload the package later on in the shortly and post the link making all work I have done so far publically available. Also if anyone knows of a way I could change the files so plus loads from the HKCU registry key instead of HKLM it would be most helpful and probably save me a lot of time.
05-14-2008 09:59 PM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
A portable program doesn't use the registry at all...how is this a portable version if it's loading keys from the registry?
05-14-2008 11:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
bigb88

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 / Male / Flag
Thinstall - and other way to make it but its a lil wack to do that when u can just download and install it its not like its a 200mb+ file so yea
[Image: Untitled333.jpg]
05-14-2008 11:36 PM
dan1570

33 / Male / Flag
I have a .Reg file saved containing all the registry keys and values that Plus! needs and a .INI to load the main program. As the drive letter is always changing I have the registry values set to find the Plus! files in a specific folder on the drive letter that the program was launched, for instance if your portable drive was plugged into one computer using the drive letter F: and you lauched the program it makes sure your registry settings are there first, if not it loads them into the registry for you, the settings loaded under HKLM (normal circumstance), due to the settings in the registry it says Plus! is now installed so it reads the values in the registry to find out where its files are stored, in this case F:\Windows Live with Plus!\Application. If you to move to a computer and your drive letter is H: it would do the exact same again only the filepath would be H:\Windows Live with Plus!\Application.
05-15-2008 04:38 AM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
Ah -
quote:
Originally posted by dan1570
come up with a solution
not created a solution - it's not fully built yet :P Damn. Oh well can't wait!

This post was edited on 05-15-2008 at 05:29 AM by Aardvark.
05-15-2008 05:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: