What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Need Help With Messenger Plus

Need Help With Messenger Plus
Author: Message:
darkriderz412

O.P. Happy  Need Help With Messenger Plus
  Hey I moved my MSN Messenger to my D: Drive and tried installing messenger plus but it said it couldnt find msn messenger. Is there a way to get it to work? *-)

I tried moving MSN Messenger back to the C: Drive and installing it then copying all the files back into the D: Drive including all of the messenger plus files, but it still dont work.

I have my 1 hard drive Split up into 2 partitions, and I gave my C: Drive Just enough room for the Operating System And the updates. There is no room on the C: Drive for MSN Messenger or messenger Plus.

( MSN Messenger works, Just Not Messenger Plus )
05-18-2008 05:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Need Help With Messenger Plus
It's most probably because you manually moved the files for Messenger, which you shouldn't do.

I'd recommend uninstalling them both from Add/Remove Programs. Then download and install Messenger to your D: drive, then do the same for Plus!.

I presume you're using the old Messenger Plus! with an old version of MSN Messenger? I'd recommend upgrading to Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live, but it's up to you.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-18-2008 06:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
darkriderz412

O.P. RE: RE: Need Help With Messenger Plus
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
It's most probably because you manually moved the files for Messenger, which you shouldn't do.

I'd recommend uninstalling them both from Add/Remove Programs. Then download and install Messenger to your D: drive, then do the same for Plus!.

I presume you're using the old Messenger Plus! with an old version of MSN Messenger? I'd recommend upgrading to Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live, but it's up to you.

No MSN Messenger wont allow me to install it on a different drive, it doesnt even ask me what drive i would like to place it.
05-19-2008 08:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Need Help With Messenger Plus
Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou in RE: where does messenger plus check to see messenger live is installed?
You'll need to simulate the regitry entries of WLM for Plus! to detect it properly, like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Messenger

My original post before finding Patchou's post:

I have an idea, please try it.

Open your Registry Editor (Start>Run>type regedit and browse for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Messenger\InstallationDirectory for Windows Live Messenger (afaik for its versions above 8.1) or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\(Find the similar related item on your own, I don't have this in my computer currently)
and set its value to where you moved your Messenger folder to. I think Messenger Plus! checks these registry keys before starting installing itself, but I'm not sure.

If this doesn't work, then move your Messenger back to its original location, install MsgPlus! and move it again. Please reply here again if the first or second method worked.

This post was edited on 05-24-2008 at 09:03 AM by ahmetgns.
05-24-2008 08:31 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: