What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Making the mail button in WLM link to Outlook

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Making the mail button in WLM link to Outlook
Author: Message:
Dave

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Making the mail button in WLM link to Outlook
Is there any way to make the mail button on the main cl page of WLM (just below my display picture) open Microsoft Outlook when I connect to it, rather than the Windows Live Mail application?

thanks.
PC Model: HP dv9340ea
WLM version: 14
MP!L version: 4.81
06-02-2008 05:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
jakobkraft

RE: Making the mail button in WLM link to Outlook
I'm also looking for a way to do this - has anyone had any luck?
08-24-2008 06:36 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
WLM will open your default email program for reading your mail.
In Windows XP this can be changed by going to
Control Panel>Internet Options>Programs>E-Mail
Change the dropdown box to Microsoft Outlook, click OK (or Apply) and WLM should open Outlook when you click the Mail button.

I have no access to a Vista machine. The process described above may be different if you're using Windows Vista.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
08-24-2008 08:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jakobkraft

That doesn't work...and I had XP Pro not too long ago when I first started using Windows Live Messenger and it didn't work then either. I had, as I do now, Outlook set as the default e-mail handler for everything but Messenger would consistently open IE when I clicked on the e-mail link.

The only thing I was ever able to change was having IE open to go to my e-mail. Using Stuffplug, I was able to get it to open e-mail link in Firefox instead.

But I was NEVER able to get it to open e-mails in Outlook, and from
browsing in other forums, I haven't come upon anyone else - besides you, that is - who was able to do this.

Although this SHOULD be doable, are you certain that it is?
Maybe there is a setting in Messenger I'm supposed to enable beforehand?

I should also mention I have a Live Hotmail e-mail account -- maybe it insists on opening Live accounts in a web browser (or the Live mail desktop when I had it installed)?
08-25-2008 04:23 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jakobkraft
Although this SHOULD be doable, are you certain that it is?
I'm sure it's possible, I use Thunderbird for my emails and when I changed the setting I mentioned to Outlook Express, it opened that instead of Thunderbird.

quote:
I should also mention I have a Live Hotmail e-mail account -- maybe it insists on opening Live accounts in a web browser (or the Live mail desktop when I had it installed)?
I have a gmail account, so that could be it, but it sounds highly unlikely IMO.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
08-25-2008 10:14 AM
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
Could a script make this possible? I mean, the script would open the program which the user would select when the mail button would be clicked. So?
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
08-25-2008 12:47 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Could a script make this possible? I mean, the script would open the program which the user would select when the mail button would be clicked. So?
Doesn't need one, Jesus is right, it should open with the default mail client as set in Windows.
[Image: jumbled.png]
08-25-2008 03:34 PM
jakobkraft

RE: RE: Making the mail button in WLM link to Outlook
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Doesn't need one, Jesus is right, it should open with the default mail client as set in Windows.

See, this is what people say - it SHOULD open with the default e-mail client, whether it's Outlook or not, but only one person so far has claimed that they have actually achieved this result (with Outlook). If you search this and other forums, you'll see there are far more people asking how to do this then there are claiming to have done it already...

If there is someone with a Hotmail or Live account who has managed to get Windows Live Messenger  to open all e-mail links in Outlook (NOT Outlook Express) then please advise what I'm doing wrong, I'd be quite grateful...

This post was edited on 08-25-2008 at 08:24 PM by jakobkraft.
08-25-2008 08:10 PM
dbgarza

Pet the Kitty ^_^

46 / Male / Flag
The only way I remember that WLM will not open the browser is if you install the Windows Live Mail program, I remember I once had live mail installed and it opened live mail when I wanted to check mail due to the interaction both programs have

But with Outlook never, I had it set as my default e-mail program and WLM only opens the hotmail page

I think is because Jesus has a gmail account, on that part yes, it will open outlook but to hotmail accounts it will open the browser because it checks the mail of the account you're logged in and if it is a hotmail or live one it goes to the browser
08-25-2008 10:35 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
I just created an @live.com email address to test this, and indeed, it opened a new Windows Live tab in Firefox (not IE because of StuffPlug i guess).

IMO it's pretty lame of Microsoft not to give users of their own mail service the choice to use any email program they want with WLM, not even their own Microsoft Office Outlook.

So the (pretty useless) solution to this problem: get a non hotmail/live mail email address.

This post was edited on 08-26-2008 at 12:19 AM by Jesus.
08-26-2008 12:17 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: