What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Freezing on one e-mail only

Freezing on one e-mail only
Author: Message:
krystynka

O.P. Freezing on one e-mail only
We have three e-mails that we use in our family for MSN. Two of them work fine, one of them started freezing up the whole computer not just MSN. Of course its the primary one we use. ARRGGHHHH!  So somewhere we read maybe its off-line messages. But unless you can log-in you can't stop the off-line messages from popping up. We have uninstalled and reinstalled, tried downloading and older version with no luck (wouldn't let me log-in, insisted on installing the new version). Its my daughter's account and she got logged in at a friend's house so it seems to be us. She turned off the off-line message thing so they can't pop up but it STILL won't load here at home no matter how many times I re-install, yet it works just fine for mine. So why would it work on another computer and not at home? How does the stupid thing KNOW we are at home? Or what could be wrong on my computer that won't let her's load. HELP PLEASE!!!!

I don't really understand computers so you have to explain it in idiot language but I can follow instructions if you have any ideas.
06-15-2008 06:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Shezi

...Feel tHe cHanGe...

39 / Male / –
RE: Freezing on one e-mail only
quote:
Originally posted by krystynka
So why would it work on another computer and not at home? How does the stupid thing KNOW we are at home?
quote:
Of course its the primary one we use.

well try to delete the account (which is making problem ) from the email client then add the same account again.

>>which email client are u using ?
[Image: bubble7nx.jpg]
06-15-2008 06:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
krystynka

O.P. RE: RE: Freezing on one e-mail only
quote:
well try to delete the account (which is making problem ) from the email client then add the same account again.

>>which email client are u using ?

UMMMMM. Email client? Its a hotmail address that we are having the problems with. That's the only e-mails we use with MSN Live. They are all hotmail.com. If we delete that account then there is no point as all the contacts, etc. are with that account. So I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Sorry. Excuse my ignorance but we definitely don't want to delete the e-mail account which she uses, we are just looking for a solution as to why that particular one suddenly makes MSN Messenger freeze on our computer but not on any others she seems to use it on. If you can give me more direct guidance maybe I can try it.
06-16-2008 12:27 AM
NeSsiKa

well mine doesnt really freeze the comp..but it takes forever to log in at one point lol and it ends up not logging in at all =S
06-16-2008 01:44 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
UMMMMM. Email client? Its a hotmail address that we are having the problems with. That's the only e-mails we use with MSN Live. They are all hotmail.com. If we delete that account then there is no point as all the contacts, etc. are with that account. So I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Sorry. Excuse my ignorance but we definitely don't want to delete the e-mail account which she uses, we are just looking for a solution as to why that particular one suddenly makes MSN Messenger freeze on our computer but not on any others she seems to use it on. If you can give me more direct guidance maybe I can try it.
He meant if you was using a program like Outlook Express, you have to add your email address into the program, so he was suggesting deleting the account from the program then re-adding it, but you are viewing your emails on Hotmail, which is fine. I think the confusion is because you said "e-mail", so people presume you're having problems with your emails, rather then Windows Live Messenger, because you didn't refer to WLM.

Now, back to the problem. You are logging in to one of your accounts on Windows Live Messenger and it is crashing, yes?

The reason for this is because WLM stores files on your computer and one of these is crashing WLM, so you need to delete them. The following is instructions on how to do so. Deleting these files are safe. I've included some screenshots to help you along the way.

1.  Remove Messenger from the computer.

a.  In the notification area, right-click the Messenger icon, and then click Exit.
b.  Click Start, click Run, type control appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.

[Image: appwizti4.th.png]

c.  In the list of currently installed programs, select Windows Live Messenger, and then click Remove.
d.  If you are prompted to confirm, click Yes.

2.  Remove the temporary files and folders from the computer:

a.  Click Start, click Run, type cleanmgr , and then click OK.
b.  If you are prompted, click C: in the Select the drive you want to clean up list, and then click OK.

c.  On the Disk Cleanup tab, make sure that only the following options are selected:
.  Downloaded Program Files
. Temporary Internet Files
. Temporary files
. Temporary Offline Files
. Offline Files

[Image: cleanupgs4.th.png]

d.  Click OK two times.

3.  Delete Messenger related cache files

a.  Click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then press ENTER to open a command window. Copy and paste the following commands one at a time and hit Enter after each command to execute each of them. Where indicted, type y and press enter to confirm..
b.  The following commands delete files that are used when you sign in and files that are related to the Contacts Cache folders.

del "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\IdentityCRL"
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\IdentityCRL"
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts"
del "%USERPROFILE%\Contacts"

[Image: 42578438kk1.th.png]

c.  The following commands delete files related to sharing folders. Executing this command may result in deleting the files your contacts shared with you or that you shared with your contacts using the sharing Folders feature. Please create a backup of these files , if desired, before executing the next two commands.
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<Users Live ID>\Sharing Folders"
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<Users Live ID>\SharingMetaData"

4.  Delete Messenger-associated registry keys.

Important: The following steps contain information about how to modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up, and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, visit the following Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

a.  If using Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then press ENTER to open the command window.
b.  Type the following commands exactly as they appear below. Press ENTER after typing each command to execute the command.

Note: In some case you may encounter the error that the key does not exist. If you have typed the command correctly, this may be because the key has already been removed earlier or does not exists on your machine.

REG DELETE HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger /f
REG DELETE HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger /f
REG DELETE HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Communications Clients\Shared /f
REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL /f
REG DELETE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\usnjsvc /f

[Image: runlh4.th.png]

5.  Restart the computer.

6.  Reinstall Messenger:

a.  Visit the following Web site:
http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
b.  Click Get it free or click Download now.
c.  In the File Download window, click Open or click Run.
d.  Follow the steps to install Messenger.

If you come across any problems, just let me know. :)
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-16-2008 02:43 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
krystynka

O.P. RE: Freezing on one e-mail only
Thanks Chris. Yes, its the WLM that jams up, the e-mail works fine. We'll try this tonight if get the time.
06-17-2008 02:57 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: