What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » "My Shared Folders" Missing...

"My Shared Folders" Missing...
Author: Message:
MichaelDBang

O.P. "My Shared Folders" Missing...
Hello,

This is the only Live Messenger Forum I found from googling, so excuse me if this is the wrong place. :)

I recently re-installed my machine and installed Live Messenger. There used to be a "My Sharing Folders" under My Computer.  Now it's missing.  Is there a way to get that back?

Thanks!
Michael
06-28-2008 01:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: "My Shared Folders" Missing...
start > run
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\fsshext.8.5.1302.1018.dll"

That's the file name for WLM 8.5, post again if it works for you.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
06-28-2008 02:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
MichaelDBang

O.P. RE: "My Shared Folders" Missing...
Ah... it registered but it doesn't put the Icon under My Computers.  WTF!
06-28-2008 09:16 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This is a long shot but anyways...
I'm going to assume you know how to open your registry editor (if not, give a shout).
Make sure you have the following registry settings:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons
/\
If you don't have these registry keys then that is good, you don't need to create them in that case.
If you do have one of them, check if the value of the key {FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D} is set to 0 (a value of 1 hides the map, 0 shows it).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}
/\
Check if you have one of these. If you don't have any of them, then create the key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
The value of the default root entry must be a RES_SZ string "Messenger Sharing Folders" (without the quotes)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved
/\
Check if you have one of these. If you don't have any of them, then create the key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Inside this key there should be an entry: "{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}" with REG_SZ value "Messenger Sharing Folders" (all without the the quotes).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked
/\
Make sure there is no entry of "{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}" in any of these. If so, remove it.

-

Then you also must check if you don't have any addons or patches for Windows Live Messenger which disable the Sharing Folders. eg: A-Patch is such a patch tool which can hide that folder. So make sure you don't have that option ticked.

After that, reinstall Messenger (this should take care of re-registering the proper files).

And of course, check if Sharing Folders is enabled in Messenger itself: Tools > Options > Sharing Folders > Use a sharing folder when I drag a file onto a contact's name

Als note that Sharing Folders will not work if your drive is formatted with a FAT32 partition. It must be NTFS.

This post was edited on 06-28-2008 at 11:45 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-28-2008 11:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MichaelDBang

Holy MOLY I have to bow down and show some major respect!  The fact you are aware of all the necessary registry settings is insane (literally LOL!).

Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem.  It did, however, produce the following result:
http://cid-04ff010431edad04.skydrive.live.com/sel...SharingFolders.png

So SOMETHING is happening, just not the expected result.  This is ALL very strange, considering that I'm installing everything on a fresh install on VistaSP1 on a 64bit machine.  Weird, mang...
06-29-2008 04:16 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelDBang
Holy MOLY I have to bow down and show some major respect!  The fact you are aware of all the necessary registry settings is insane (literally LOL!).
Nah... Just a matter of searching the registry for "Sharing Folders" then seeing that CLSID and searching for that...

quote:

Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem.  It did, however, produce the following result:
http://cid-04ff010431edad04.skydrive.live.com/sel...SharingFolders.png

So SOMETHING is happening, just not the expected result.  This is ALL very strange, considering that I'm installing everything on a fresh install on VistaSP1 on a 64bit machine.  Weird, mang...
hmmm... strange result. Although it looks like it is the correct folder, but without the proper name. Did you reinstalled Messenger after you did those changes?

Maybe there is something wrong with the registering part of that fsshext DLL...

So, here some more registry keys which you might wanna check for the correct values:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}

Those should contain subkeys like DefaultIcon, InprocServer32 and ShellFolder. And their root key value should be the REG_SZ "My Sharing Folders".

I've attached a registry file which you could import  (but as usual at your own risk) after you've reinstalled Messenger again. But before you do that check the contents of that registry file and verify that the path of fsshext.8.5.1302.1018.dll within it is correct for your own PC.

--------------------

If the above doesn't work, you might wanna try this:

What happens when you instead completely remove all those registry keys? Thus removing every single key containing "My Sharing Folders", ""Messenger Sharing Folders" or "{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}". After that reinstall Messenger again.

--------------------

Vista64bit? The 64bit part might got something todo with it.

.zip File Attachment: fsshextmanual.zip (532 bytes)
This file has been downloaded 132 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-29-2008 at 08:26 AM by CookieRevised.
06-29-2008 08:03 AM
MichaelDBang

VERY CLOSE!  Wow, this is some bastardized install.  I'm not sure what happened, but the CLSID keys weren't even in there.  I installed your reg file, and now the icon shows up and everything LOOKS right, but trying to navigate through it doesn't work.  I right-click it and created a shortcut on my desktop, and this appears:
http://cid-04ff010431edad04.skydrive.live.com/sel...haringFolders2.png

So now the question is... WTF is the {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} and how do we get it to point to my received files folder???

This post was edited on 06-29-2008 at 12:48 PM by MichaelDBang.
06-29-2008 12:46 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} is the CLSID for "My Computer".

Those keys not being there is very strange. Since they should be added (among some other stuff) when you installed Messenger.

At this moment I'm out of clues and can only think that something goes realy wrong when you install Messenger, or that your Vista installation has some serious issues. You do have full admin rights, no? And do other special folders work properly (eg: Briefcase, My networks, My documents, Control Panel, etc)? You also closed Explorer (changes wont take any (good) effect unless you close and reopen Explorer)?

So, the only thing I could suggest is to remove everything again so that you don't have a messed up folder. I'll continue to search for some clues and will post back if I found one. Though, I hope that someone else could help you though since I'm out of ideas.

At last resort you might also want to contact WLM support: https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger

This post was edited on 06-29-2008 at 02:16 PM by CookieRevised.
06-29-2008 02:08 PM
MichaelDBang

Ya, this is pretty ridiculous.  I remember with my old Vista64 install, I installed messenger by itself (8.1 I think) and this install was through the Windows Live Installer... I'm thinking maybe the new v9 will fix this. Or perhaps maybe installing 8.1 will do the trick.  Is that available somewhere?

Finally, the WLive "Support" is a joke.  It's just a glorified FAQ!  Where the hell is a support rep???
Alright, I have found another piece of the puzzle.  I nuked all entries, and installed 8.1.  It appears it's installing keys in another location, due to my 64bit OS.  Here's an example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}

Perhaps I need to re-write your .reg file so that it's updating the correct locations accordingly...
Alright.  I give up.  Looks like I have a hosed version.  I noticed that the "My Sharing Folders" Shortcut doesn't get created either in My Documents folder.  Go figure.  In any case... thanks for everyone's help!

This post was edited on 06-29-2008 at 06:59 PM by MichaelDBang.
06-29-2008 06:58 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Finally, the WLive "Support" is a joke.  It's just a glorified FAQ!  Where the hell is a support rep???
Is sure is no joke at all. The people there give very good and detailed support. Although, they can only give as good support as the user giving details. Quite often the people who ask for help do not give enough details or don't even ask the correct question, etc. The support team are also humans, they can't 'predict' remotely what your problem is.

quote:
Alright, I have found another piece of the puzzle.  I nuked all entries, and installed 8.1.  It appears it's installing keys in another location, due to my 64bit OS.  Here's an example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}

Perhaps I need to re-write your .reg file so that it's updating the correct locations accordingly...
Yeah, I was also thinking this would probably have something todo with it... But I don't have a 64bit Vista, so I can't properly test or investigate this.

This post was edited on 06-29-2008 at 10:50 PM by CookieRevised.
06-29-2008 10:48 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: