What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Explanation pls

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Explanation pls
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Explanation pls
It could also be a server/connection issue though. In which case you might to report it to Messenger support.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-03-2008 10:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Shadowking

O.P. RE: Explanation pls
yea but assuming its not a server problem bcos its always the same contact that it happens to. plus the dp and personal msg is still there..
08-03-2008 01:15 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It could still be a server problem too.

It can also be a cache problem...

So, what you could try to do is removing and resetting all the cache of Messenger:
  1. Go to your security options in Messenger and enable:
    Tools > Options > Security > "This is shared computer so don't store my address book, display picture or personal message on it"

2. After that sign out and exit Messenger completely:
    Right click its systemtray icon and choose "Exit".

3. Now, make sure that the cache directories are completely removed from your hard disk. If not, remove them manually (for XP):
       \Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\your_windows_live_id\
       \Documents and Settings\your_username\Contacts\your_windows_live_id\

Note: some directories might be hidden, so make sure you have enabled the viewing of system and hidden files in Windows Explorer's options.

4. If all this is done, sign back in into Messenger. And let Messenger retrieve all the contact information (this could take a bit longer as usual since you don't use any cache now). What is the screen name of this contact now?

5. If things are looking ok you might disable the option again which you turned on in step 1.

This post was edited on 08-03-2008 at 10:02 PM by CookieRevised.
08-03-2008 06:31 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
Contact Cache locations:

WinXP:
%userprofile%\contacts
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts

Vista:
%userprofile%\contacts
%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts
08-03-2008 09:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Shadowking

yea so cache is cleared and i followed all the steps. now all my offline contacts have their nick and pm rolled back a couple of weeks or so and i'm seeing their old nicks and pms. that supposed to happen?
08-04-2008 12:10 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowking

yea so cache is cleared and i followed all the steps. now all my offline contacts have their nick and pm rolled back a couple of weeks or so and i'm seeing their old nicks and pms. that supposed to happen?

Definitely not. Clearing the cache should delete all that old data. and re-download all the new data from servers/peer connections.

Does it change when you initiate a conversation or if a contact changes a display picture, name or message?
08-04-2008 12:16 PM
Shadowking

O.P. RE: RE: Explanation pls
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:

Definitely not. Clearing the cache should delete all that old data. and re-download all the new data from servers/peer connections.

Does it change when you initiate a conversation or if a contact changes a display picture, name or message?

How do i re-download the new data?

Yea it changes; but only for those online. The rest remain as history lol
08-04-2008 12:31 PM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
How do i re-download the new data?

Messenger will download what it needs to as of when it needs to, you could try viewing everyone's contact cards or opening conversations or something which will download what data it can grab.
08-04-2008 01:43 PM
Shadowking

yea have done so but their latest dps and nicks cant be retrieved. guess i'll have to wait for them to come online?
08-04-2008 01:47 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
yea have done so but their latest dps and nicks cant be retrieved. guess i'll have to wait for them to come online?
Which might explain (or at least proof) why you had problems in the beginning. Messenger had troubles retrieving updates for contact's names and stuff for certain contacts.

Anyway, since WLM is designed to use the cache for your contactlist and since you removed the cache, it is normal that WLM reverts back to old names and stuff, or even no names at all.

Changes in names and so on are directly directed to your Messenger instead of being stored on the services. Only once in a while they are also stored on the server as a kind of 'backup' with the current protocol.

That's how I would explain why you now see old names after you've removed the cache and why they aren't updated all at once.
08-05-2008 02:53 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: