What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics
Author: Message:
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics
quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
That can't be good for people with asthma
quote:
Originally posted by icd*
notice how their opening ceremony completely overshadowed  the tibet protests and human rights arguments? :P

it was amazing for a reason...

I have to bitch about this... the Olympics are not about politics... the whole point of the Olympics is to foster healthy competition. It's original intent was nothing to do with politics, so don't bring it into it.

56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
08-09-2008 05:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
SimonHodgkiss

35 / Male / Flag
At last team GB won their first gold in the Female Road Race :)

This post was edited on 08-10-2008 at 11:19 AM by SimonHodgkiss.
[Image: Simon.png]
08-10-2008 11:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics
quote:
Originally posted by ipab
quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
That can't be good for people with asthma
quote:
Originally posted by icd*
notice how their opening ceremony completely overshadowed  the tibet protests and human rights arguments? :P

it was amazing for a reason...

I have to bitch about this... the Olympics are not about politics... the whole point of the Olympics is to foster healthy competition. It's original intent was nothing to do with politics, so don't bring it into it.

very true... however it is a total different matter when people are relocated without compensation, stores closed (which are quite often the only income for families), innocent people arrested, journalists obstructed in their work, etc to simply host these so called "non-political", "let's all get together" sports event.... They make it political!!!

I'm not against China hosting the Olympics, far from it... but there are some limits. China could have done a whole lot more towards their serious human rights problems, instead they focussed all their efforts on the "show".

Yes it is amazing, yes the show was awesome (I wouldn't expected any less from China quite frankly, if they do something like that they do it better than anyone else), but who will remember it after a few years? If they did a big effort towards human rights, child labor, etc, instead, I think many people would still remember these olympics in years to come as the olympics which not only was a great sports event but also benefitted many (poor) people, human rights, child labor, etc... Now it is just a big show... literally...

The efforts China does for the olympics themselfs is amazing, but I would have liked to see some of that effort going towards other causes instead of a temporary event. True, the olympics caused some small turning around, but far from enough what they could have done. And I'm realy wondering what will happen when the eyes of the world are again turned on something else.

To give an example: read up on the story of the guy who designed those mascots of these olympics. They (governement) not only restricted him in doing things, they also bluntly ripped him off; it says everything....

This post was edited on 08-10-2008 at 11:49 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-10-2008 11:38 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
sophiehorse95

29 / Female / Flag
Heyy
the opening ceromney was like AMAZING ! Shame half the fire works were computer animated or sommet like that ! and the lil girl who sang one of the first songs was miming and an older girl was singing it but they said she wasnt prety enough to be on TV ! :O i meen how sole destroying must that have been ??

Can't belive how far up the medel table we are !! lets hope we can get some more medels :D and go even further up !
´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
♥«´¨`•° Sophie °•´¨`»♥
.¸.•*(¸.•*´♥`*•.¸)`*•.¸
08-21-2008 06:50 AM
KazLuvsTwilight

Do I Dazzle You?

– / Female / Flag
Yeah, we ruled in the cycling. One gold medal after the other. amazing.
When all the other little girls wanted to be ballet dancers, I kind of wanted be a Vampire.

08-21-2008 11:15 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
Does anyone know if Phelps is done with these games yet? I believe he won his 8th a few days ago.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
08-21-2008 11:49 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
He won his 8th gold medal and he is done with these games. He broke the previous record which was 7 gold medals. :)
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
08-21-2008 02:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
A certain frenchman said in his 13+ years of living in england he'd never seen a swimming pool. Paha.

This post was edited on 08-21-2008 at 04:26 PM by Oxy.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
08-21-2008 04:25 PM
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
i read in the paper on thursday, that if he was a country, he would be 4th in the medals table. obviously, not true now but hey. also, he takes in 12,000 calories a day. a day! :P the RDA is only 3000 i think.
btw, fuck you austrafailia, we pwn you (H)

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
08-21-2008 05:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vazza

– / Female / –
yep. He's also said that for the next Olympics he's going to take part in other events that he didn't do this year. So..can we assume then that the swimmers shouldn't bother turning up?

Been nice to see Team GB do as well as they have (but most of all for me the Scots! :p) but it's been interesting to find out how some of them get to the Olympics. Take the british lass that was in the Taewondo (?) semi-finale today. She was only there because she got funding from Jackie Chan (something about he saw her fight in Australia and thought she had potential for a medal in the Olympics). I don't know if many people consider what it takes to get to the Olympics and represent your country if you know what I mean.

Oh well, closing ceremony tomorrow and I still have the Opening to watch lol

I'll never forget how lucky I was 7237 days, 1 hour, 2 minutes, 52 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
08-23-2008 11:42 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: