What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
[Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
As a alternative, maybe a script could do this.
I very much doubt it. Or it would be very hard to do it in a proper way anyways.

Simple reason realy: a script runs in the exact same environment which you're trying to change with your settings. So that is asking for trouble and/or not-working.

If you want to do this with some 3rd party tool/addon/script you need to do it outside of the Plus! sandbox, _before_ Plus! gets loaded.

quote:
Custom sounds were a new thing which I doubt anyone (or very few people compared to this Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere feature) now uses.
The stats say otherwise.

But even so, let's say it is used less now than it was back then.

The custom sounds are now using multiple servers and account for a LOT of traffic. So assuming (well, it is almost a logic fact) that the roaming settings will be used far more and way more frequent (upon each sign in) than custom sounds, it actually contradicts what you just meant/said... And it means that there need to be a lot of servers, way more than for the custom sounds, just like Menthix explained.

It is doable, and has been suggested/requested before, but as Menthix and others explained: it would generate a hell of a lot of traffic. Which needs to be taken in serious considerarion, just as many other (security) aspects. It isn't easy at all, shouldn't be taken for granted, and it might not be 'worth the money' so to speak.

;)

This post was edited on 08-24-2008 at 11:29 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-24-2008 11:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Custom sounds were a new thing which I doubt anyone (or very few people compared to this Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere feature) now uses.
Well, I doubt there's either server bandwidth or a budget for it, but if there is, maybe it will be implemented some day.

I wasn't saying I don't like the idea, I was just trying to point out that you seem to underestimate certain things. Not just the "few kbs" which amount to a huge amount of data if lots of users use the feature, but now again the "very few people" using the custom sounds feature. Why would a feature that is used by so few require 4 servers with the specs MenthiX talked about? If the feature wasn't worth the resources (both financial and in terms of hardware), my guess would be that it would have been taken out already.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
08-24-2008 11:17 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
Well I sorta see your point.

A 8.98 KB config while made up of a 90 char line multiplied 100 times in a row would generate a traffic 876953.125 MB which no server could handle at a time (I took this by multipliying 50 million by 2)

A alternative is that as you may know there is a new feature in WLM called "Keep Me Signed In". It asks you for a location. If the selected location is available and online, it transfers the settings from THAT computer to the computer you just signed on (No cost at all on Plus!/Patchou's side and would just cost the bandwidth on the clients side)

Thats a pretty good and similar alternative :)
08-24-2008 11:53 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
Also no one is pointing out the fact that the custom sounds feature is spread across 4 servers with huge specs, and not _everyone_ uses custom sounds. This would be a feature that would be used on everylogin from every person with plus. And that in turn would equal much more than the sounds data.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-24-2008 11:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
feature in WLM called "Keep Me Signed In". It asks you for a location. If the selected location is available and online, it transfers the settings from THAT computer to the computer you just signed on
Pretty creative idea. I kinda like it, but sounds more like something suited for a script.

This post was edited on 08-24-2008 at 11:59 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-24-2008 11:58 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Also no one is pointing out the fact that the custom sounds feature is spread across 4 servers with huge specs, and not _everyone_ uses custom sounds.
Already pointed out by Menthix, Jesus and me though. ;)

(yeah I know, I said I was going to sleep, sorry. But I thought of something I needed to rectify asap in some other post. And one thing lead to the other, etc... why don't I PM this? blah, who knows :p nn)

quote:
A alternative is that as you may know there is a new feature in WLM called "Keep Me Signed In". It asks you for a location. If the selected location is available and online, it transfers the settings from THAT computer to the computer you just signed on (No cost at all on Plus!/Patchou's side and would just cost the bandwidth on the clients side)
That would indeed be a nice alternative.

But if this is made as a script, you might as well make a script which simply uses your own server or FTP location to store all of the settings. Thus, no need for the MPOP feature of WLM9 and thus compatible with any WLM version.

Even so, the same limits apply as I said earlier, a script can't do this properly, using MPOP or not (unless you want to restart Messenger each time after you signed in for the first time).

Even for a Plus! feature this would be hard to do, since there are settings which requires Plus! (and thus Messenger) to be restarted.

So, in practice, I don't see something like this happening anytime soon (unfortunatly, as it is a nice idea). That is in a proper way, which takes all the settings, and without the need for a restart after signing in. Unless there are some radical changes made in how Plus! loads and loads its settings.

This post was edited on 08-25-2008 at 12:57 AM by CookieRevised.
08-25-2008 12:51 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
Oops, it seems my speed reading isn't up to scratch :P
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-25-2008 12:56 AM
Dex Luther

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
could be problably used on the same server as its just a few kbs of data when we load/save our settings
... *50000000+, every time they sign in?

Doesn't have to be set to load each time a person signs in. When a person signs into a new place with plus installed they could go into the preferences menu (or on the welcome box thingy) and click an "Import from WWW" button.

It would only need to be done once. After that the settings are stored on the computer.

The only exception would be people using public computers that erase any saved data stored on them when the user logs off (Library internet stations). Other than that I don't know very many people that log in from a different new computer every time they get on.

This post was edited on 08-25-2008 at 06:05 AM by Dex Luther.
08-25-2008 06:01 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
If it is just for 1 time, then what is the point of the feature? In that case you could simple export/import your settings using a USB stick or whatever. imho.
08-25-2008 06:22 AM
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If it is just for 1 time, then what is the point of the feature? In that case you could simple export/import your settings using a USB stick or whatever. imho.
And I think that is the reason Patchou gave us the ability to import/export our Preferences. To be able to get them anywhere we need. If it was easy to take our settings everywhere we sign in, I am sure Patchou would have done it.
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
08-25-2008 08:24 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: