What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Custom Secret Question

Custom Secret Question
Author: Message:
Gulk

O.P. Huh?  Custom Secret Question
Hey, i've seen my friend has his secret question as "No Hacking" and he wont tell me how he did it.
Does anyone know how its done? Thx :)
EDIT: Talking about Hotmail

This post was edited on 08-13-2008 at 12:53 PM by Gulk.
08-13-2008 12:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Custom Secret Question
It's a question that you add when you're creating an account with hotmail. During the process it asks you to choose a secret question or create your own. He's obviously just created his own that says 'No Hacking' which he can only ever know the answer to, which seems pretty stupid to me. But that's how you do it.
08-13-2008 05:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
xjup

47 / Female / Flag
RE: RE: Custom Secret Question
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
which seems pretty stupid to me

He asked how it's done, not your personal opinion on what someone else chose as their security question.
08-13-2008 06:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by xjup
quote:
which seems pretty stupid to me

He asked how it's done, not your personal opinion on what someone else chose as their security question.

Yes but we're also entitled to give advice on the matter, urging people against doing things that might cause trouble in the future. For example, what if they forget the answer and can't get into their account ever again when they really need to? That's the way people post on this forum, sorry if I seemed a bit rash.
08-13-2008 08:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
For example, what if they forget the answer and can't get into their account ever again when they really need to?
I set silly questions with totally random strings as answer all the time :). It's pretty easy to "crack" most default questions with a bit of social engineering. If i want an answer which can't be socially engineered i might as well use a password as answer, but that defeats the point of having a security question, so i choose to not use the security question at all and fill in giberish.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-13-2008 08:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
He's obviously just created his own that says 'No Hacking' which he can only ever know the answer to, which seems pretty stupid to me.
Actually, he's using the secret question for its intended purpose :P
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-13-2008 09:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
For example, what if they forget the answer and can't get into their account ever again when they really need to?
I set silly questions with totally random strings as answer all the time :). It's pretty easy to "crack" most default questions with a bit of social engineering. If i want an answer which can't be socially engineered i might as well use a password as answer, but that defeats the point of having a security question, so i choose to not use the security question at all and fill in giberish.
x2
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

08-13-2008 09:19 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
I use cryptic clues in mine. For example, 1FemCous + #(6)[lolcat] would be name of first female cousin with the name capitalised followed by the first 6 hex digits of the MD5 Hash of lolcat :).

Anyway, that's a side thing. I think Microsoft / MSN provide default security questions when registering, however if you go into your options / settings / etc (I don't really use their web stuff anymore) then you can customise it here.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
08-13-2008 09:26 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: