What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Getting virus warning when recieving files via msn

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Getting virus warning when recieving files via msn
Author: Message:
bigb88

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Getting virus warning when recieving files via msn
zabrak - cuz of security settings when u install window live messenger did u install the windows live family security thing??

open add and remove programs and look down for
"Windows Live OneCare Family Safety"
and remove it k

zabrak - also try the apatch they have the unblock mp3 option k
[Image: Untitled333.jpg]
08-18-2008 11:57 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
zabrak

O.P. RE: Getting virus warning when recieving files via msn
oh and btw..If I try to open any other MP3 directly from MSN again, then all the other mp3 files that he sent me (after this error started to take place) ges erased

quote:
Originally posted by bigb88
zabrak - cuz of security settings when u install window live messenger did u install the windows live family security thing??

open add and remove programs and look down for
"Windows Live OneCare Family Safety"
and remove it k

zabrak - also try the apatch they have the unblock mp3 option k
apach?
08-18-2008 11:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
bigb88

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 / Male / Flag
http://apatch.org/

close msn/download it/unzip it/run it/check the boxes for the stuff u wanna remove/ the last window before u have to hit apply is the window u wanna look for or the one before that it will say unblock unsafe files and stuff check the box and hit next or apply and there u go.. get a friend to send u a file and see if u can click it right from the convo
08-19-2008 12:01 AM
zabrak

O.P. RE: RE: Getting virus warning when recieving files via msn
quote:
Originally posted by bigb88
http://apatch.org/

close msn/download it/unzip it/run it/check the boxes for the stuff u wanna remove/ the last window before u have to hit apply is the window u wanna look for or the one before that it will say unblock unsafe files and stuff check the box and hit next or apply and there u go.. get a friend to send u a file and see if u can click it right from the convo

I tried the A-Patch thing but it just says "applying patch, please wait" and just sits on one bar forever.
08-19-2008 05:49 AM
bigb88

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 / Male / Flag
sounds like u ran a patch on msn before the mess patch maybe did u do what i put above and look for that family thing in add and remove programs?
08-19-2008 05:54 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
It's a security feature built in by Microsoft because mp3's(along with some other file formats) can be dangerous - This is why some things are blocked and not others. As a result once you click OK on that error message WLM deletes the file.

The easiest way to circumvent this is to go to where the received files are stored(usually '\Documents\My Received files' (Vista) - '\My Documents\My Received Files' (XP)) and open them yourself.

If you happen to click the link in the conversation window and the warning pops up then, BEFORE pressing OK, go to the Received Files folder and move the file to somewhere else(eg: Desktop) then press OK on the warning, and you can then do whatever you want with the file as WLM will not have been able to delete it.

This post was edited on 08-19-2008 at 09:36 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
08-19-2008 09:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

yeah, you could do everything mentioned in this thread, or when you receive an mp3 you could go to your received files, right click on the file and hit properties then click "Unblock" on the bottom.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
08-19-2008 10:57 AM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
Also! Just install 'dud' as the AV.

http://www3.telus.net/_/dud/
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
08-19-2008 11:00 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
You can also apply -dt-'s registry patch found at http://random.thedt.net/servicepack2fixevildeletething.reg
It will mark the "potentially harmful" files as low-risk file types so WLM won't warn you for them and, as a result, they won't be deleted.
Be warned though: by marking those file types as low-risk, other security measurements (even those outside of WLM) might also be affected.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
08-19-2008 01:14 PM
zabrak

O.P. RE: RE: Getting virus warning when recieving files via msn
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
You can also apply -dt-'s registry patch found at http://random.thedt.net/servicepack2fixevildeletething.reg
It will mark the "potentially harmful" files as low-risk file types so WLM won't warn you for them and, as a result, they won't be deleted.
Be warned though: by marking those file types as low-risk, other security measurements (even those outside of WLM) might also be affected.

k. when I double click that link and save it. it gives me some bull**** thing lke 'are you sure you want to save it to desktop?' I click Yes, and then it says 'it is now saved to desktop' :S when I try to open the file it gives me the same thing everytime?

EDIT: WAIT OH MY GOD I THINK THAT FIXED IT. I CAN NOW OPEN FILES NOW YEEEEHAW

EDIT: NO WAIT WTF? I still get the error by some people...I get the error by certain people and other people I don't?

This post was edited on 08-19-2008 at 07:39 PM by zabrak.
08-19-2008 07:28 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: