What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Canon SD750 LCD Screen Replacement

Canon SD750 LCD Screen Replacement
Author: Message:
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Dodgy  Canon SD750 LCD Screen Replacement
So... one of my friends broke the camera I bought her (actually her sis did)... anyway... I was giving her a hand with it, and I was wondering if you guys can help me find a replacement part for the camera. It doesn't have to be OEM since I called Canon and they asked for $67. I'm looking for a cheaper solution.

I live in Vancouver, Canada.

I swear it's bad manufacturing cause the plastic cover didn't break. The LCD inside did!

Any suggestions appreciated :).
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
08-22-2008 06:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Canon SD750 LCD Screen Replacement
What do you really need? Maybe your problem can be solved by returning the camera, rather than buying an aftermarket screen.

This post was edited on 08-26-2008 at 10:36 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
08-26-2008 10:33 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
What do you really need? Maybe your problem can be solved by returning the camera, rather than buying an aftermarket screen.
they don't normally cover screen cos it's the easiest bit to break

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

08-26-2008 10:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Canon SD750 LCD Screen Replacement
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod

they don't normally cover screen cos it's the easiest bit to break

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
bad manufacturing
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
08-26-2008 11:19 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
ermm.... sorry to say but that has got nothing todo with bad manufacturing. LCD screens are waaaaay more sensitive than a plastic cover, and indeed can break far more easier, that is a fact. Nothing todo with the brand or whatever.

On that same note, eventhough an LCD is very sensitive, it should not break with normal use. So either it wasn't used 'normally' (and no garantuee will cover it) or the camera was dropped (which might not be covered either with some garantuees). If the camera was dropped you should be very happy that it was manufactured properly because just the LCD broke. Normally such cameras are ready for the scrapyard if you drop them.

If it was a bad manufactured LCD (out of a good batch), then the garantuee _must_ cover it and that extends to three years after purchasing. At least that is European law.

Note that if you do find a cheaper replacement (which I doubt; the LCD screen is quite often one of the most expensive parts of such cameras), you probably need to install it yourself. And I really do not recommend doing that. It will also break any garantuee you still might have.

Bringing it in for repair to an official Canon dealer might even give you additional garantuee time (for the (new) LCD itself).

Good luck hunting though.

This post was edited on 08-26-2008 at 12:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-26-2008 12:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

Having attempted a much simpler repair on an older and substantially larger Canon camera, I think your chances of success at performing the screen replacement at home are very slim to none, even if you have the part.

If you don't think it is worth paying for to have it professionally serviced (which I agree it might not, considering you can buy another one for as little as US $150), start by taking the broken camera apart until you have removed the screen, then put it back together.  If you manage to do that and it still seems to work, only then spend any money on buying the part.  There is a very high chance you will break a lot more than the screen doing that -- or simply won't be able to figure out how to get it out.

08-27-2008 12:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Canon SD750 LCD Screen Replacement
Thanks for all the responses, I was away (camping :)) so I didn't respond. I'm going to the place I bought it tomorrow to see if they will RTV (Return to Vendor) the piece. I'll post back with info.

@Adeptus: Repairing minute things is what I do for a job. If I repaired the canon at work, I would not void the warranty cause the place I work is Canon Certified :). I was just wondering if anyone knew of any aftermarket solutions....
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
08-27-2008 04:56 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: