What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Author: Message:
keenan777

O.P. Happy  Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Hi there.

As the title says, I'm wondering how you get the images saved to automatically save as a .gif file, instead of a .png file.

i ask because if I wanted to use the file elsewhere, the animations don't show, instead it stays as one frame, irrespective of if I then change the file to .gif.

Any help would be appreciated :)

This post was edited on 08-26-2008 at 05:02 PM by keenan777.
08-26-2008 05:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Where are you trying to save the gifs from?
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-26-2008 07:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
keenan777

O.P. RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Well the images by default automatically save into the Chat Logs

C:\Documents and Settings\Keenan\My Documents\My Chat Logs\August 2008\Images

I just want them to save in .gif instead of .png
08-26-2008 10:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
You can not change the format of a file by simply renaming its extension, that will never work. eg: renaming a Word document to .XLS doesn't make it an Excel file.

Anyways, with the current versions there is no way to let Plus! save animated gif graphics to GIFs instead of PNGs. The suggestion to add this has been done before though. So, maybe this is on the todo list for a futur version, who knows, (if it is possible at all that is. Because it might as well be that Plus! does not have access to the actual animated data being show!).

But as for now, no, not possible in any way.

This post was edited on 08-26-2008 at 10:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-26-2008 10:18 PM
keenan777

O.P. RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Thank you for the response :) Shame mind.

BTW, .DC2 files from the custom emoticons folder are able to be changed to .gif files, so it is possible.
08-26-2008 10:52 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by keenan777
BTW, .DC2 files from the custom emoticons folder are able to be changed to .gif files, so it is possible.
No it is not possible. Some of the files in the custom emoticon folder (not all!) are already gif files (others are png files). You don't change the format by renaming the extension. You simply make other programs aware that those files are actually gif files, you don't change the file format at all.

Analogy: all you do is renaming a Word document which was named "Hello.xls" to "Hello.doc". You don't change anything in the file, the file was already a Word document, but with the wrong extension.

This post was edited on 08-26-2008 at 11:04 PM by CookieRevised.
08-26-2008 11:02 PM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You don't change the format by renaming the extension.
It's interesting that you assume (twice) that wherever the original poster writes "change", it means "rename".  "Change" could very well mean conversion using some image editing software.

Of course, then there wouldn't be any reason to point out the obvious and life would be boring. :)
08-27-2008 12:15 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You don't change the format by renaming the extension.
It's interesting that you assume (twice) that wherever the original poster writes "change", it means "rename".  "Change" could very well mean conversion using some image editing software.

Of course, then there wouldn't be any reason to point out the obvious and life would be boring. :)
But the opening poster wants animated gifs :p

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 12:50 AM by prashker.
08-27-2008 12:49 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
But the opening poster wants animated gifs
Correct, but nowhere is he saying that he has been trying to rename files to .gif extension to accomplish this.  The assumption that is what he means by "change" is completely unsupported (and somewhat intelligence-insulting).

There's lots of software that could be used to convert -- or "change", if you will -- a PNG graphic to GIF format.  It doesn't surprise me that most don't support animation and only leave you with the first or the last frame, but if the OP keeps looking, he will probably find something that preserves the animation.  My top bet would be on Adobe Fireworks.

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 01:19 AM by Adeptus.
08-27-2008 01:18 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
nowhere is he saying that he has been trying to rename files to .gif extension to accomplish this.
quote:
Originally posted by keenan777
Some of those files are already in gif format, there is nothing to change, format wise. The only thing he could have changed is the filename.

Also, the fact that 99% of people who come with this very same problem or who say they "changed" the file do mean renaming.

And, if he realy used a converter he wouldn't have said what he said, he would have said he used a converter and not just changing/renaming the file.

quote:
There's lots of software that could be used to convert -- or "change", if you will -- a PNG graphic to GIF format.  It doesn't surprise me that most don't support animation and only leave you with the first or the last frame
It doesn't matter if the converter supports animations or not because a png is a static image.

quote:
but if the OP keeps looking, he will probably find something that preserves the animation.  My top bet would be on Adobe Fireworks.
That is completely not what he is asking for.

(And using adobe fireworks is realy not a best choice for a converter. In fact, again, what do you want to convert in the first place? The animated emoticons are _already_ gif files, there is absolutely nothing to convert to begin with.)

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 02:47 AM by CookieRevised.
08-27-2008 02:39 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: