What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
CookieRevised,

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Some of those files are already in gif format, there is nothing to change, format wise. The only thing he could have changed is the filename.
quote:
You can not change the format of a file by simply renaming its extension, that will never work. eg: renaming a Word document to .XLS doesn't make it an Excel file.  Anyways, with the current versions there is no way to let Plus! save animated gif graphics to GIFs instead of PNGs.
Why don't you make up your mind on which it is?
quote:
It doesn't matter if the converter supports animations or not because a png is a static image.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animated_PNG
quote:
And using adobe fireworks is realy not a best choice for a converter. In fact, again, what do you want to convert in the first place? The animated emoticons are _already_ gif files, there is absolutely nothing to convert to begin with.
quote:
You can not change the format of a file by simply renaming its extension, that will never work. eg: renaming a Word document to .XLS doesn't make it an Excel file.  Anyways, with the current versions there is no way to let Plus! save animated gif graphics to GIFs instead of PNGs.
Once again, why don't you make up your mind on whether the files are GIF or PNG? 

You, sir, despite your entirely undeserved reputation, are a bag of hot air.  You pretend to be an authority on issues you know nothing about.  You post contradictory and inconsistent claims that often are left undisputed only because you are so categorical in your self-righteousness that very few would dare to challenge it.

I dare to challenge it and I call you full of feces.  I also dare everyone reading this to think critically and re-evaluate whether the declarations of your extremely one-sided and frequently incorrect views warrant the respect that your charlatanism has received here to date.

I will stop at expressing my disdain for you here, while I can keep myself sufficiently to the point of not making this a plain old flame.
08-27-2008 03:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Adeptus, I'm afraid you're the one here that, very clearly, doesn't know what he's talking about in this case....

-------

For the first part:
The two quotes you picked on express the EXACT same thing: You can not change a file format by renaming the file.
And I think it is very clear that the OP was talking about the animated DC2 files, which are in the GIF format already.

--

The second part:
I knew someone would come up with that APNG  argument. But that is not valid because:
1) APNG is not PNG or vice versa; if I would refer to APNG I would say APNG.
2) APNG is not an official extension of PNG!!
3) because of that it will never be used in Messenger
4) the DC2 files which are PNG, are PNG, not APNG

--

Third part:
I think I made it very clear that the animated files are already in GIF format as that is what I literally said. And the static images are in PNG format.

What on earth have you been drinking? I would realy appreciate it if you don't call me a bag of air, full of feces, a charlatan or whetever else if it is very clearly that you are the one here who is completely and utterly misinterpreting things and way over his head.

Anybody who knows a bit about the file formats and/or the knowledge to use a hexeditor will back me up on this.

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 11:01 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-27-2008 07:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Yeah, Adeptus, you're completely wrong.

Those two quotes state the exact same thing(changing file name only changes it's file name, not it's format.)

Secondly there is no software, and never will be, to convert a static png(that was saved from a .gif*) back to a .gif and somehow reanimate it. This is because the png only contains ONE static image, therefore there's nothing to animate.

When Plus! saves an .png from a .gif in the chat logs, it just captures one of the frames(I guess the first or last frame) and saves that data as a single, static, one-frame, png. This png will not have any other data from the gif(so no hidden layers with the data for the other frames(like a gif does)) - This makes it impossible to re-animate as there isn't any data within the file to use other than the data for the first 'frame' in the png.

(and APNG is a "completely" different format, APNG != PNG)

*Ofcourse, if you were to rename 'animation.gif' to 'animation.png', a application could easily "reanimate" it, infact you wouldn't even need an application, if you just renamed it to 'animation.gif' again it'd "regain" it's animation - HOWEVER this is only due to the fact that the original image contained all the data(all the frames etc) for the animation, and by renaming it to .png all you did was change the extension, NOT the format of the file(and thus did not remove any data from the file, so all the animation data is still there - only that windows believes it to now be a png, and opens it with the default png viewer/editor, which will then do what it will with it(if it supports gifs, it'll animate, if it doesn't it'll display the first frame))

I'm aware APNG isn't completely different to PNG, but in this argument, it really shouldn't of even been mentioned ;p

--

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
only that windows believes it to now be a png, and opens it as such, and thus only displays the first frame

Actually, it will still animate the renamed .gif (at least the integrated windows viewer will) because internally, the file still looks like a gif and thus will be opened as such.

Yeah I've edited that now(I was already discussing it with Cookie) - I was getting confused because my default program for PNG is Windows Photo Gallery, which cannot display animated GIFs and so was only displaying first frame(I'm on Vista))

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 04:21 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
08-27-2008 08:34 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
only that windows believes it to now be a png, and opens it as such, and thus only displays the first frame

Actually, it will still animate the renamed .gif (at least the integrated windows viewer will) because internally, the file still looks like a gif and thus will be opened as such.
Man is least himself when he is in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. (Oscar Wilde)
08-27-2008 10:39 AM
keenan777

O.P. RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Lads chill out man :D I'm not insulting anyones intelligence (Stop taking yourself so seriously) but merely trying to find a solution to a problem.

I renamed the ends of DC2 files to GIF and they worked. That is all I was stating. I have no doubt you people are pros at this (Hence why I'm here) and have taken on board that you cannot do the same with the PNG files due to the way they are saved.

The question was asked in order to stop me having to take a long road in order to get the animated images off my MSN properly. But clearly this is not possible.

So thank you :)
08-27-2008 08:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by keenan777
I'm not insulting anyones intelligence
Nah, Adeptus directed that at me.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-28-2008 05:22 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend