What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Google Chrome

Pages: (11): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] 11 » Last »
Google Chrome
Author: Message:
John Anderton
Elite Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Google Chrome
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
I'm a little afraid that it will take away of the Firefox user share first, before (if at all) having a impact on the IE users. Thoughts?
If you're an IE user, the only reason why you've not moved to another browser (Firefox or Opera.. even Safari for that matter) is because you a) either don't know about them (pointing towards the user being a newbie) b) being an idiot or c) being a total MS fanboy (case in point: TReKiE) :P

So I just feel that it will hurt the other browsers way more than IE because honestly.. the IE users could have moved to any of the "other" browsers but didn't and Google Chrome doesn't have anything that is SO major that they would decide to do it now and not have done it earlier (to Firefox/Opera/Safari etc.)

Hope you guys already know about the Chrome Easter Egg ;) (No I've not read the entire 9 pages of the thread yet :P)

Update: Read the entire thread now.. :P
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
also, is it just me being silly or is there no "homepage" button

ever heard of a session saver?

Did Google hire a Steve Jobs type marketting guy for Chrome cause that's what it seems like it. Nothing original when it comes to features but yet a huge hype (kinda like the iPhone but not as bad). Hey, at least its built for stability and has sandboxing :P
Chrome fails at highlighting text on web pages though. Firefox does it way better. I have the feeling that its because of the way Chrome treats web pages is all together different. Or maybe that's the WebKit way.. who knows? I've not really used Safari.

So Chrome is made up of components like WebKit, V8 and other OS components... what exactly did Google work on? V8 takes care of the JS VM formation, right? Who did the "running tabs as separate processes for crash protection" thingo?

I know its Open Source and all.. but you've gotta do something yourself too :P Overall I think its an okayish browser. Its got promise as long as it fixes a few things and adds a few others. As the Google comic clearly says, its more about stability at this point than anything and stable it is. I guess they'll add all the other things we've grown used to in time :)

As for now, its back to Firefox for me :) Can't live without Adblock, flashblock and delicious bookmarks :P (Multi computer bookmark syncing ftw :D)

This post was edited on 09-07-2008 at 10:57 AM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
09-07-2008 10:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
So I just feel that it will hurt the other browsers way more than IE because honestly.. the IE users could have moved to any of the "other" browsers but didn't and Google Chrome doesn't have anything that is SO major that they would decide to do it now and not have done it earlier (to Firefox/Opera/Safari etc.)
More and more people are getting to know of new browsers and moving for IE to Firefox, Opera or Safari. Most of them were rarely in the news/papers. Chrome has been featured on a lot of news channels and papers. When people are exposed to new options, they surely would love to try them. Most of them would probably switch to Chrome because its a lot faster and smoother and other browsers.

On the other hand, Firefox users might want to stick to Firefox because of the wide range of addons/extensions/skins available. Had the faster performance have been at a higher priority than speed to them, they would've switched to Opera or Safari already.

For people using IE, Chrome is a lot better in many aspects. For those with Firefox, Chrome only is better in terms of memory lag only. Moving from IE to Chrome is more justified than moving from Firefox to Chrome.

I guess it'll effect IE way more than Firefox. But that is just an assumption, I might be wrong.

I still have Firefox as my default browser, though I have Chrome open for video and other purposes.
quote:
Hope you guys already know about the Chrome Easter Egg  (No I've not read the entire 9 pages of the thread yet )
Thanks for the link. I didn't know about all that :P. I hardly have played around with Chrome yet.
09-07-2008 10:56 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Thanks for the link. I didn't know about all that . I hardly have played around with Chrome yet.
Well in that case, do check the task manager out. Its pure awesome :-D I love looking at stats ever now and again so that helps.

Also, you can have a look at the load times for elements on a page (or so I've heard) but the thing doesn't work for me O.o. I've seen screenies where it works for other people though. Weird :(
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
09-07-2008 11:00 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
a) either don't know about them (pointing towards the user being a newbie) b) being an idiot or c) being a total MS fanboy (case in point: TReKiE)
d) You really don't care as long as your webpages are loading (aka. most of the world).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-07-2008 11:44 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
a) either don't know about them (pointing towards the user being a newbie) b) being an idiot or c) being a total MS fanboy (case in point: TReKiE)
d) You really don't care as long as your webpages are loading (aka. most of the world).
e) your actually 2 lazy to bother installing firefox and installed altoolbar instead

This post was edited on 09-07-2008 at 11:55 AM by Jarrod.

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

09-07-2008 11:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
IE8 also opens tabs in seperate processes

no it doesn't. why does everyone keep saying that? :-/

also, in reference to the page you posted earlier:

"I've just got to excerpt from this document: "When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs you may be looking for."

Can you say keylogger? What else could "the letters you type" mean?"

@joe wilcox

can you say shut the fuck up? google suggest has been doing this forever. that exact same feature is used on google's home page! are you telling me that none of you use google search? besides, do you really think that the number of people not only using google chrome, but google the website too, is so little that they're capable of logging EVERY letter of EVERY query ever sent to them?
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
09-07-2008 01:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

As for b): They (or any other company) should not use their 'common' TOS at all. That is plain wrong. A TOS, EULA, etc is like a contract. Show me 1 company which in real life uses the same contract for everything. There isn't one, because each contract needs to be specific for each product, otherwise it isn't valid. It are the TOS, EULA, policies, etc which exactly specify what a product may or may not do and what is expected from the user. So if it states  the product or the company may do X with your data, then it is more than logic that a user who actually reads those 'contracts' will cry out!! Nomatter if the product actually will do X or not as that doesn't matter, what matters is what is in the 'contract'. If you don't agree with the 'contract' you wouldn't be using the product in the first place to find out if the product actually does follow the 'contract' or not; the 'contract' is the first you (should) see _before_ you see the product. And the reason they changed it a bit by now, is exactly because they too reconize this.
True, but that doesn't mean that you should fear the TOS either, as it (has already been stated that) isn't as "spookeh" as people seem to believe. As I stated in my last post.
Oh, and I never said you and Sunshine were that kind of persons, but that the privacy issues around it is generally because of it.

quote:

Have you actually read the article i've posted? Is there anything original in Google Chrome?
IE8 also opens tabs in seperate processes and it also has Inprivate browsing, anti-phishing (SmartScreen filter)...also look in Internet settings, many more things you can turn on/off in regards of security. Read further below to see which browsers I have installed here...

I have read that article, actually, I've read a lot of articles about Google Chrome. As there's been stated, , IE doesn't open each tab in a process. As for the other things, are you going to remove features or exclude features from a browser because they are good? That's a really silly concept.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
09-07-2008 01:35 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
no it doesn't. why does everyone keep saying that?

IIRC, the Google comic mentioned that IE8 was supposed to be doing it, or was planning it in the future. Tests on BETA 2 have shown about 20MB RAM difference in the two (to IE's favour).

Although, people being worried about what you search for in the address bar being sent to Google, what about the new similar pages feature of IE? Surely that is just as bad, if not worse! That iss not just a case of sending a few letters to Google to see what search results to eliminate, they must actually know what type of site you are on and the exact topic!
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
09-07-2008 01:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
... As for the other things, are you going to remove features or exclude features from a browser because they are good? That's a really silly concept.
What are you on about? Did I say any of the kind? I don't believe I did....all I did was answer your question if i had heard... :s
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-07-2008 01:40 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
... As for the other things, are you going to remove features or exclude features from a browser because they are good? That's a really silly concept.
What are you on about? Did I say any of the kind? I don't believe I did....all I did was answer your question if i had heard... :s
When you use the fact that it's not original because it has some features other browsers have too, it sounds definetly like you're bashing on the fact that it has features any browser should have.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
09-07-2008 01:54 PM
Pages: (11): « First « 6 7 8 9 [ 10 ] 11 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: