What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Google Chrome

Pages: (11): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
Google Chrome
Author: Message:
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Google Chrome
well first impressions are good, it has defiantly sped up my browsing experience, it beat out both IE and firefox
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6647 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
09-03-2008 03:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
I quite like it, i cannot seem to find a home button like that of on IE and Firefox though *-)

EDIT: Nevermind :) I like it a lot. Maybe a bit too white for my liking though.

This post was edited on 09-03-2008 at 07:04 AM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
09-03-2008 07:02 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Google Chrome
So, I finally got the time to play around with Chrome a bit, and I like what I'm seeing so far. The thing that annoys me the most at the moment is that there isn't a way (that I'm aware of) to show the bookmarks-menu without showing the damn bookmarks-toolbar. A integration like the home and refresh buttons, without adding the extra toolbar, would be awesome. I'm hoping that Firefox extension developers hop on and make Chrome-versions, and that new developers will also join and create great extensions (Adblock Plus, anyone?).

V8 is also awesome, and I bet other browser developers will start using it in their browsers. Here's a little benchmark.

This post has been posted from an enlarged textbox.
[Image: signature.php]
09-03-2008 07:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
cnet - Be sure to read Chrome's fine print
ZDNet - Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw
Microsoft watch - Chrome Privacy is Full of Dents

Guardian - Is there anything original in Google Chrome?

This post was edited on 09-03-2008 at 08:20 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-03-2008 08:11 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
cnet - Be sure to read Chrome's fine print
ZDNet - Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw
Microsoft watch - Chrome Privacy is Full of Dents
aka, Chrome isn't going to see this laptop's HDD. Nooohooo way....

If those articles are even remotely right, then Chrome is one big spyware program.

----------

My initial thoughts were "they come way too late to the 'browser war', unless there is something very special about it..."

And I guess the current security issues aren't going to be helping either. Neither are all the tracking stuff build in in Chrome.

Looks do not say anything, they are the last thing I worry about. But apparently this isn't so with many people...

When MS (or let's say Plus!?) send some anonymous data back home to see what language has been installed or what feature is used the most then everybody cries out. When this Chrome sends IDs unique to you, snapshots of the pages you visit, the keystrokes you type in the search bar, etc back home, nobody says a thing... because 'it looks good'?

Sorry, one word for it: dustbin (for now)...
ok, that were 3 words

This post was edited on 09-03-2008 at 08:37 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-03-2008 08:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
We already know that google takes alot of our information and does whatever they want with them, if your that serious about being anonymous, you might as well not use the internet =/
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
09-03-2008 08:32 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
We already know that google takes alot of our information and does whatever they want with them, if your that serious about being anonymous, you might as well not use the internet =/
I suggest to read some articles and reviews, some of the information is not anonymous at all. And there can be something like too much tracking information also, anonymous or not.

Moreover, there are also very high security risks and big security holes in this current browser.

And the incognito mode? Well, it isn't that 'incognito' either.

My point is also that if MS does something like that the whole world goes down on MS (same analogy with Plus! and its optional sponsor). When Google does it, it is swept away like nothing with a typical "pfff, then don't use the net or turn the options off"? Talking about serious double standards...

Nothing good about Chrome from me, at least for now that is. Sure, it looks good, but so did Pandora...

The only good thing is that it is possible to turn off most (but not all!) of this tracking stuff. But it isn't made very clear at all. And like some of those articles say: "Who has read the privacy policy to know all the snooping this browser actually does"?

There is still a lot of work to be done to this browser. Starting by fixing those massive security holes it has.

This post was edited on 09-03-2008 at 09:47 AM by CookieRevised.
09-03-2008 08:39 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Er, they don't take anything from you if you don't allow it 8-)

They don't have access to you files and don't collect any usage information if you turn "Help make Google Chrome better by sending usage statistics.." off, which it is by default.

Now the only information they're "collecting" is it sends what you type in the Omnibar to suggest the site you're looking for(and this is not sent with the Unique ID, that's only used in crash reporting and updating). If you don't like this, you can turn it off in the options.(edit search engines > uncheck "Use a suggestive service to check URLS.."). I'm also pretty sure that it does the same whatever your search engine is, so it'd query Yahoo if that was your search engine.

Incognito mode downloads cookies etc when browsing and deletes it when you go back to normal mode, it's the same as IE8's InPrivate feature, and many others. What's not so incognito about it?

However hopefully the security flaws will be fixed ASAP.
[Image: jumbled.png]
09-03-2008 09:18 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Er, they don't take anything from you if you don't allow it 8-)
I already said that too though: "you can turn off most of the tracking stuff..."

But nobody claimed they would take files though. Icognito doesn't do the exact same thing as MSIE's InPrivate function according to some articles and they suggest that the Incognito mode isn't that 'incognito' at all. Their EULA has also some questionable things in it.

Either way, I'm not goint to install this new browser to find out myself.

This post was edited on 09-03-2008 at 09:49 AM by CookieRevised.
09-03-2008 09:44 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

But nobody claimed they would take files though.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
aka, Chrome isn't going to see this laptop's HDD. Nooohooo way....
...?

Anyway, I see no proof for any of your arguments? I'm not suggesting you should install it, I'm just letting other people know that it isn't some nazi data whoring application as you seem to think. And seeing as most of the lesser educated people would just take your word for it(you being seen as very knowledgeable), I want to make sure they know it's not the case.

This post was edited on 09-03-2008 at 10:05 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
09-03-2008 10:04 AM
Pages: (11): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: